•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / Alfred Hitchcock  /

The Movies of Alfred Hitchcock

Alfred Hitchcock (1899-1980), auteur, showman and famed director, had a career spanning five decades and over 50 films. Over 70 years after his first film, his name is still synonymous with suspense. Discover and discuss the Master of Suspense with other MysteryNet community members.

Discuss Alfred Hitchcock Presents: The TV Series.

Discuss the Alfred Hitchcock Short Story Anthologies and magazine

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages More Messages (7 previous messages)
Katarina Rundgren - 12:26am Aug 21, 1998 PST(#8 of 529)
A stranger is a friend you have yet to meet

Please refresh my memory, I know most of Hitchcocks movies by their Swedish titles, which one was "Shadow of a doubt"?

"Vertigo" is one of my favourites too, but "The man who knew too much" (the version with J Stewart and D Day) and "Rear window" ranks right up there too I think.

P Marlowe - 09:21pm Aug 21, 1998 PST(#9 of 529)
Glenview 7537 - Hollywood

Shadow of a Doubt was set in Santa Rosa, CA, it was about the Uncle who came to town. The uncle however murdered wealthy women when he wasn't visiting his sister and family. His neice is named Charlie and so is he (Charles but called Charly). It is an outstanding film about Htich's love of criss-crossed people. Shadow and light, black and white - and the comic relief (is always there) is between Hume Cronyn and forget name who love to concoct murder stories at the dinner table.

columbo - 09:34pm Aug 21, 1998 PST(#10 of 529)

I like the idea of him making some kind of appearance in his movies. It's fun trying to find him.

P Marlowe - 09:40pm Aug 21, 1998 PST(#11 of 529)

You do know he hated doing that after awhile, but it was expected. Can you identify where he appears in his movies?

Katarina Rundgren - 12:17am Aug 22, 1998 PST(#12 of 529)
A stranger is a friend you have yet to meet

thanks Marlowe,

I know the movie now; I haven't seen the original only a remake with Mark Harmon as the uncle. I'll have to se if I can hunt down the original.

P Marlowe - 09:24am Aug 22, 1998 PST(#13 of 529)

Katarina, it is well worth it - great cast Joseph Cotton, Therea Wright, McDonald Carrey and many others. It is the idylic setting upon which the darkness insinuates itself that makes this movie so great - and if you are a student of his films - it expresses his ideas about people changing places. This theme runs throughout his movies as do themes of people being accidentally chosen or wrongly accused. Interesting stuff - took college seminar on his films and am an avid fan.

Vilson - 06:20am Aug 28, 1998 PST(#14 of 529)

Olá para vocês. Adoro está página, apesar de não entender muito bem o ingles consigo ampliar meus conhecimentos do mundo.Também adoro o ARQUIVO X e coisas do gênero. TCHAU

Calsha - 11:52pm Nov 7, 1998 PST(#15 of 529)
I'm a Kiwi and proud of it.

I see mention has been made of AH's appearance in all of his films. I always enjoy trying to spot him, not always easy. I try to video any re-runs because they are usually late at night on TV here.

Hannah - 11:27pm Nov 9, 1998 PST(#16 of 529)

One of Hitchcock's movie is being remade. As I understand it, it is to be "Psycho". That's what is missing in today's movies is suspense, the kind that keeps you guessing and hanging on the end of your seat. You'll never find a person who ever watched one of Hitch's movie say that he fell asleep.

Denisekay - 07:52pm Nov 11, 1998 PST(#17 of 529)

What is the purpose of remaking Psycho frame-by-frame--except that now it will be in coloro with different actors? I think if I saw it, instead of enjoying the movie, I would only be comparing--with a bias for the original.

Calsha - 12:48am Nov 29, 1998 PST(#18 of 529)
I'm a Kiwi and proud of it.

Nothing will be as good as the original. I will always remember the first time I saw Psycho. It was scary when the chair was turned around to reveal the skeleton!

P Marlowe - 08:16pm Dec 5, 1998 PST(#19 of 529)

Calsha, actually it wasn't a skeleton. Norman's hobby (as one could see from the room in the motel) was taxidermy. He had "stuffed" mother, you see.

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (510 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / Alfred Hitchcock  / The Movies of Alfred Hitchcock

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: