•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / Alfred Hitchcock  /

Short Stories / Books: Alfred Hitchcock Anthologies

Alfred Hitchcock (1899-1980), auteur, showman and famed director, had a career spanning five decades and over 50 films. Among his other interests, he lent his name to the short mystery fiction magazine and the short story anthologies are today household words. Discuss these collections here!

Discuss Alfred Hitchcock Presents: The TV Series.

Discuss Alfred Hitchcock movies

The Watcher - 03:32pm Dec 17, 1997 PST(#1 of 125)

Note from The Watcher: originally posted by Gary Caldwell

I grew up loving these books, any other fans out there. My favourite ones were the Green Ghost and the one about the moaning cave.

dmbfan - 06:42pm Aug 6, 1998 PST(#2 of 125)
"Would you not like to be sitting on top of the world with your legs hanging free..."-dave matthews band

I am not the ultimate AH fan because I have never been completely exposed to his work. However, what I have seen I have loved since I have loved mysteries since I was in elementary school (oh so long ago :o)). Can anyone recommend some great reads? Paul, you mentioned Roald Dahl, and you bet I'm going to go check it out, but do any other authors come to mind? I would greatly appreciate any kind of suggestions you can offer. I just graduated from UCLA with a BA in english and have a lot of time on my hands. Needless to say I've been looking for some great novels/books to read this whole summer. Thanks so much, WAG

Paul Watson - 11:40am Aug 10, 1998 PST(#3 of 125)

Hi, WAG --

I hope UCLA taught you to appreciate the story value in fiction, instead of "talk in a mist" stuff.

Depends on what kind of mysteries you like. For the classical puzzle, try Ellery Queen (not the magazine, the novels and short stories written by "Ellery Queen" and featuring as detective . . . Ellery Queen). You might also like John Dickson Carr, who was the master of the "locked room" or impossible crime story. (Just remember that some of these stories were written 50 and 60 years ago!)

If you like hard-boiled P.I. stuff, of course try Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammett. Lawrence Block's Matt Scudder stories are superior stuff, but it helps to read them in order; I believe _The Sins of the Fathers_ is the first one, from about 1974.

In the short-story suspense mode, look for a fellow named Henry Slesar who published a lot of short stories in the '50s and '60s. Several of them were done on TV; his "A Cry from the Penthouse" was done on the AH series.

The other thing to do is read books _about_ mystery fiction and its authors. Find out who influenced your favorite authors, and go find _their_ works. I envy you the voyage of discovery!

Diva - 06:42pm Feb 16, 1999 PST(#4 of 125)
look famous, be legendary, appear complex, act easy, radiate presence, travel light, seem a dream, prove real

Hi,

I had some suggestions for other authors. Rebecca & The Birds were by Daphne Du Maurier - she wrote a lot of other fab books including My Cousin Rachel, Jamaica Inn and Frenchman's Creek. Witness for the Prosecution (AH did that didn't he? Can't remember - v. good anyway, Marlene Deitrich & Charles Laughton) was by Agatha Christie.

I have a book called 'The Strange Case of Alfred Hitchcock' which details all his movies, storylines, actors etc. Very good for background info on those you haven't seen. I originally found it at the library, and managed to find a copy in a secondhand bookshop. I found the sections on the early British films, and the Selznik period really interesting as they are the least shown / hardest to find films.

My favourite episode of AH Presents was one with Leonard Nimoy as a news reporter, covering the story of rape and murders of highschool girls. Very creepy, and the final scene finished it off perfectly.

later, Diva

Fran Hinkel - 09:23am Jun 24, 1999 PST(#5 of 125)
You can check out anytime you like...but you can never leave!

Originally posted by Michael Ward - 06:30am Jun 16, 1999pst -

hey all i am 16 year old sherlok homes fanatic that has a liking to the hound of the baskervilles and all of the old crime films

BUT DOES ANYONE KNOW WHEREE II CAN GET MY HANDS ON ANY BOOKS BY ALFRED HITCHCOCK IN THE SERIES HE WROTE CALLE THE THREE INVESIGATORS?

IF SON PLEASE E~MAIL ME AT

H5WARD@LGSCC.LEICS.SCH.UK

Patricia Pablo - 07:17pm Sep 22, 1999 PST(#6 of 125)

I am looking to get a set of the Three Investigators written by Alfred Hitchcock. If anyone knows where I can purchase these, please e-mail me at:

donan30@hotmail.com.

PLEASE!!! THANK YOU!!!!

Barbara Widera - 04:21am Oct 3, 1999 PST(#7 of 125)

I'm an English teacher in Germany and I'm looking for the texts of some of the Alfred Hitchcock Presents stories (Vosper, Margery:Bang!You're dead, F.J.Smith:One more mile to go, Armstrong, Anthony: The case of Mr.Pelham, Williams, Arthur: Arthur, Dahl,Roald: Poison and Woolrich, Cornell: Four o'clock. Who can give me any advice, where I can find the texts of these stories. A desperate English teacher!

Hong S M--Singapore - 06:58am Oct 16, 1999 PST(#8 of 125)

Pls let me know where can I purchase Alfred Hitchcork's Mystery Magazine through the internet.

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (117 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / Alfred Hitchcock  / Short Stories / Books: Alfred Hitchcock Anthologies

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: