Buy through our affiliates:
•  Mystery Guild Book Club
•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Books & Authors  / List of Authors  / List of Authors G - I  /

George, Anne

Anne George Books

Find Books by:
In Association with Amazon.com

MysteryBookstore.com, in association with Amazon.com, offers books picks by this author and many more.
• Browse authors and genres
• Any book bought supports MysteryNet.com-- save up to 40%
Ann George' series features amateur sleuths retired school teacher, Patricia Ann Hollowell and her sister, the oft-married Mary Alice Crane. The 60-something sisters couldn't be more opposite! Enjoy their antics in MURDER MAKES WAVES; MURDER ON A BAD HAIR DAY; MURDER ON A GIRL'S NIGHT OUT and MURDER RUNS IN THE FAMILY.

Please discuss this author below.

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages (57 previous messages)
B. J. Aranki - 10:45am Jan 26, 2003 PST(#58 of 69)

I have recently reread the "Sisters" books, all of them, as have my daughters. We felt so at home in Birmingham with Mouse and Sister, and were so saddened to hear of Ms. George's death. She must have been truly a funny and wonderful person, and my condolences go to her family.

Are there any plans for a family member, perhaps, to pick up and write more books in this series? It seems a shame to have Mouse and Sister pass into literary history like their creator. Please let me know. Thank you, B. J. Aranki

Jo Hood - 02:52pm Feb 22, 2003 PST(#59 of 69)

Yes, Anne George wrote "This One and Magic Life". Another mystry. I liked it also.

Tammy P. Smith - 10:40am Mar 21, 2003 PST(#60 of 69)

TammyS.March 21,2003

I love Anne George mysteries! I find myself running to the library to check another one out before I compeletly finish the one I am reading. I hope she will continue to write more!

Marsha Francis - 11:43am Mar 30, 2003 PST(#61 of 69)

I think the idea of having someone continue the series is awful. No one else could have the same touch as Anne George did - the characters were entirely her creation. Anyone who could write as well as she did could also come up with their own characters. It just doesn't work for someone else to take over. Read some of the stuff by the guy who tried to write Nero Wolfe stories after Rex Stout died. There's not a paragraph that sounds like Stout wrote it. I would hate to see that happen to Sister and Mouse - better to just re-read the real thing!

Marci Jones - 06:26pm Apr 7, 2003 PST(#62 of 69)

I also love the sisters' mysteries. Anne was (and still is) one of my favorite authors. I discovered her work when only a couple were out and eagerly awaited each new book. I'll miss her. Has anyone found another author that treats mysteries with the same humor and light-heartedness? I really want to find another series similar in tone and would appreciate any suggestions.

Marsha Francis - 08:05pm Apr 8, 2003 PST(#63 of 69)

Marci, try Jill Churchill (the Jane Jeffrey series - the Grace and Favor set are not as funny), Charlotte MadLeod (aka Alissa Craig), Sophie Dunbar (a little more risque, but funny and not over the line)

Marci Jones - 04:16pm Apr 10, 2003 PST(#64 of 69)

Marsha, Thanks for the suggestions. I have read a couple of Churchill and will definitely try the others. I appreciate your help.

stikeforce - 03:44am Jul 5, 2003 PST(#65 of 69)
"It's a cult... they worship blue oysters"... MST3K 'The Final Sacrifice'

Marci, I know this is a little late (i was off-line 4 a long while) but you could also try Sharon McCrumb and a newer author that's not listed on this site, Donna Andrews. These have the plus of being Southern too. I liked Anne George because she DIDN'T make fun of Southerners. So many of the "funny" mystery genre that takes place in the South tend to get their humor from stereotypes, Joan Hess leaps to mind (altho she writes so good I can forgive her and read them, others not) Yep, can you tell? I'm Southern,from the great Commonwealth of Virginia.

Angela Hollifield - 08:19pm Oct 5, 2003 PST(#66 of 69)

Can anyone steer me to a site that tells me the publication dates of Anne George's books. I'd like to find out if her first southern sisters books came out as softcovers or as hardbacks.

thanks Angela Hollifield

Marsha Francis - 07:50pm Oct 28, 2003 PST(#67 of 69)

The first three never came out in hardback, as far as I know, unless there were book club editions. I wish her publisher would collect the three in one hardback volume - my paperbacks are wearing out.

Diane123 - 07:56am May 4, 2006 PST(#68 of 69)
Louisville, KY

I just heard a movie is going to be done with the sisters!

Mary Stuart - 07:47am Jun 2, 2009 PST(#69 of 69)

Was the movie ever made?

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Books & Authors  / List of Authors  / List of Authors G - I  / George, Anne

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: