Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  /

The Saint/Leslie Charteris

Leslie Charteris Books

Find Books by:
In Association with Amazon.com

MysteryBookstore.com, in association with Amazon.com, offers books picks by this author and many more.
• Browse authors and genres
• Any book bought supports MysteryNet.com-- save up to 40%
Leslie Charteris is the creater of Simon Templer, better known as The Saint, whose stories have thrilled generations, first as magazine stories, then brought to life via radio, television and movies.

Bruce Scott - 03:31am Sep 23, 1997 PST(#1 of 49)

Why doesn't an American publisher pick up the Saint catalogue and reprint the books? Maybe:

• Charteris uses Big Words (wasn't that a Jack Kirby character?) and few publishers own dictionaries;
  • Despite the spectacle of the recent movie, the Saint (unlike a fellow LImey named James) uses few gadgets;
  • The sex is pre-Danielle Steele, e.g., "slipping a hand 'neath the silken pink fabric, he blew softly into her lobe";
  • The stories contain uncommon good wit and, unlike Woodhouse, Charteris' detective novels have not been "discovered" by the academia intelligentsia. Or maybe nobody suggested it to them.

• Dale McFadzean - 09:07am Sep 25, 1997 PST(#2 of 49)

I find it shocking how the acting prowess of Roger Moore is continually slated.I am a huge 007 fan and subsequently a fan of the Saint and all other spy related programs.Roger made the roles of both the Saint and 007 his own and he was at the peak of his career while doing so.Please feel free to contact me at my e-mail address.

Jerry Emiliani - 02:31am Oct 3, 1997 PST(#3 of 49)

I think Roger Moore did fine as the Saint, but his 007 was pathetic. The Saint wasn't the killer/tough guy Bond was supposed to be and Roger looks like you could merely blow on him to topple him. A very weak Bond, a good Saint though.

Dan Bodenheimer - 09:24pm Oct 10, 1997 PST(#4 of 49)

Capture The Saint A little Saint news for you chaps! Burl Barer's 'Capture The Saint' will be specially printed by The Saint Club. For more information check out The Saint's Rumors.

Regarding Roger Moore, I've always felt that Sean Connery was James Bond. Roger Moore was The Saint. Even when Roger was playing 007, I still think he was playing The Saint...
    -Dan

Madame X - 02:51am Nov 7, 1997 PST(#5 of 49)

Hmmm, when I was a wee child my mother told me "Sean is James Bond, Roger is the Saint"

I didn't know what she meant until I saw late night reruns of the real Saint series.

As for why the books haven't been reprinted, I am bewildered. Perhaps they are considered too intelligent for the average reader. My vocabulary increases with each new Saint title I read!

Fran Hinkel - 11:13am Nov 8, 1997 PST(#6 of 49)
    You can check out anytime you like...but you can never leave!

I think the real, and only, Saint is George Saunders.

Fran 8-)

Madame X - 12:27am Nov 9, 1997 PST(#7 of 49)

Jerry, Jerry, Jerry... whil I respect everyone's right to an opinion, what Saint have you been reading about? The Saint is on occasions a very nasty downright coldblooded. Kills on some very slim provocations! Of course he only knocks off bad guys, but frankly he seems to have far fewer qualms about it than James Bond (remember the opening chapter of Dr. No when James goes all soft about killing a man?) As for tough, James Bond has nothing on our Simon for endurance and skill! So I am one eyed! So what?

Andy Fluke - 08:47am Nov 9, 1997 PST(#8 of 49)

Fran, I cannot agree with you more. George Sanders is the one and only Saint. When I first saw Roger Moore as the Saint I shuttered. (Same way as when I saw him first play Bond.) Though Rog- did do fine playing opposite the Muppets, he and Miss Piggy are most definitely equal caliber actors. Viva Sanders and Sean!

Jennifer Lee - 04:28pm Nov 24, 1997 PST(#9 of 49)

The Saint is all new to me...we rented the Val Kilmer movie last night just at random. What a great movie! I remembered dimly that the movie was based on previous work, so while at work today I looked around and ended up here. This movie was just the kind I like to watch--a great mix of action and romance. So are the original books still in print or no? I would love to read a couple.

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (40 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / The Saint/Leslie Charteris

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
    Shopping Here: