Buy through our affiliates:
•  Mystery Guild Book Club
•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Books & Authors  / List of Authors  / List of Authors G - I  /

Hillerman, Tony

Tony Hillerman Books

Find Books by:
In Association with Amazon.com

MysteryBookstore.com, in association with Amazon.com, offers books picks by this author and many more.
• Browse authors and genres
• Any book bought supports MysteryNet.com-- save up to 40%

Bestselling and award-winning author Tony Hillerman brings to life the Southwest and the Navajo culture in his mystery series featuring Jim Chee and Joe Leaphorn. He has collaborated with Rosemary Herbert in A New Omnibus of Crime

Read the Review for A New Omnibus of Crime

Cam Whetstone - 08:35am Nov 18, 1997 PST(#1 of 375)

I have read everything I can find by Tony Hillerman. His novels are both interesting and educational. I learn somthing from just about every one. His latest was interesting in that the tribal police were not involved in any way. However, it was enjoyable. I do prefer the Jim Chee novels to the non-indian ones.

Cam

Al Kratzer - 11:20am Dec 28, 1997 PST(#2 of 375)

I discovered Hillerman's work 12 years ago while I was a student at the Univ. of New Mexico in Albuquerque and have been a fan ever since...and I'm not even a mystery lover! By coincidence, I was a journalism student and I took a editorial writing course that was taught by him. A funny guy and engaging teacher as well as a fine author.

Annette Mentzer - 01:36pm Jan 20, 1998 PST(#3 of 375)

What a privledge to take a class from Hillerman! I'm envious.

I too have read all he has written, except Boy Who Liked Dragonfly. It is a children's book and I have been unable to find it. He is one of the best currently writing. I too prefer the Leaphorn stories or Chee and Leaphorn stories to the others. But the Great Taos Bank Robbery is hysterical and I can't give it a strong enough recommendation.

mary understeller - 10:36pm Jan 26, 1998 PST(#4 of 375)

I Like T.H. because he allows his charactors dignity and treats them with respect,I think this tells a lot about a writer. what do the the rest of you think? Keep on reading those mysteries. Mary

amry@webtv.net

Stephanie A. Hochuli - 08:32pm Mar 9, 1998 PST(#5 of 375)

I have always like Hillerman and read the Indian ones. However I read and loved "Finding Moon". What a great book. Everyone should read it. Says some interesting things about life and growing older.

Linda Berkowitz - 10:14pm Apr 23, 1998 PST(#6 of 375)

I think I've read all of TH's books . Some I've even read twice. They are a bit alike and I often don't realize that I have read it before I am half way through.I can't tell by the title. I am wondering when his next book is due out. Anybody know? Not only are some of you lucky enough to have met him but you have been to the area of the country that his books take place in. I would love to visit the canyon de chelly. Maybe I will someday.

Connie Massey - 09:03am Jun 18, 1998 PST(#7 of 375)
La Jolla, California

I too discovered Tony Hillerman when I was visiting in Albuquerque. Heard him speak in San Francisco. Love his books. Am trying to discover others who write about Native American culture. Suggestions? Just read Robin Hathaway's "The Doctor Digs a Grave" and have read Margaret Coel. Are there others? Anybody who gets the chance to visit Canyon de Chelly MUST. It is fabulous. Take a four wheel vehicle into the canyon and spend the money to hire a guide for the entire day. It's well worth it to have their knowledge. You won't forget it. Hope to go back some day.

Kristin Louthan - 03:42pm Jun 24, 1998 PST(#8 of 375)

Connie:

Jean Hager has two series set in the Northwest in and around an Indian reservation. There is also another series, i cannot remember the author but one of the books was called "The Shaman." If you are looking for some variety, try James McClure's South African cop series, Janwillem Van Vanderwetering's Amsterdam cop series, Per Wahloo's Swedish cop series, and William Marshall's Phillipino and Hong Kong cop series. Have Fun!

Kristin Louthan - 03:58pm Jun 24, 1998 PST(#9 of 375)

Connie: The name of the other author is James D. Doss, The Shaman Sings, The Shaman Laughs, etc.

Paul Bergin - 07:09pm Jun 28, 1998 PST(#10 of 375)

And then, of course, there's Peter Bowen. His Gabriel DuPre novels (there are five so far) feature some of the most lyrical writing in the mystery genre and beyond. Bowen is close to such writers as Joyce, Beckett, and J.P. Donleavy in his free and artful use of language, but make no mistake. These are crime fiction books which usually straddle tne line between mystery and thriller. Mr. Bowen is more than a comer; he's an artist!

Kristin Louthan - 03:56pm Jun 29, 1998 PST(#11 of 375)

Richard Parrish writes a series set in the late 1940s about an East Coast lawyer that comes to work for the BIA in Tuscon at the Papago Reservation.

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (364 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Books & Authors  / List of Authors  / List of Authors G - I  / Hillerman, Tony

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: