•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / Alfred Hitchcock  /

The Movies of Alfred Hitchcock

Alfred Hitchcock (1899-1980), auteur, showman and famed director, had a career spanning five decades and over 50 films. Over 70 years after his first film, his name is still synonymous with suspense. Discover and discuss the Master of Suspense with other MysteryNet community members.

Discuss Alfred Hitchcock Presents: The TV Series.

Discuss the Alfred Hitchcock Short Story Anthologies and magazine

Lisa - 11:16pm Aug 24, 1997 PST(#1 of 529)

I never saw any of the tv shows but Rear Window is one of my all-time favorite movies. I never get tired of watching it.

Aleksander Castberg - 10:56am Jan 12, 1998 PST(#2 of 529)

Vertigo is his best movie. Psycho is too easy to catch, but, Oh, it`s very,very well made.You know the scene where the girl is in the shower and gets killed, it is about 45 seconds and is made of 79 camera positions...Hard days work.

A.H. tempo is often a little bit too slow. Keeps up the suspense, yes, but also other things in your mind. Mine start to drift, when watching his productions. You might say that is what he wanted...Directing my mind in the way he wants, but my homework and other stuff does not belong anywhere in his movies, I think.

David Fincher (Seven,The Game)Is our new Hitchcock.

S.L. Badoyen - 12:26am May 11, 1998 PST(#3 of 529)

ALoha, Gang! I love Alfred Hitchcock movies. To date, I have watched REAR WINDOW, VERTIGO, MARNIE, STRANGERS ON A TRAIN, REBECCA (the one with Sir Laurence Olivier and Joan Fontaine--who by the way, happened to be the younger sister of Olivia de Havilland, small world, huh?)..what else? PSYCHO (the orignal, of course -- I don't care for the sequels), THE BIRDS (they never should've tried to make a sequel),SUSPICION, NORTH BY NORTHWEST (Cary Grant is SO dapper and Eva-Marie Saint was gorgeous)..what else? What's the one with Ingrid Bergman and Gregory Peck? Shucks, I can't recall the title, but she played a shrink and he played an amnesiac who thought he murdered her new boss..help anyone? Oh, and THE TROUBLE WITH HARRY (that was funny), and there was one with Joseph Cotten--he played a murderer of rich widows and his favorite niece found out(what's the title again?--help! I'm getting too old!)..and FAMILY PLOT was quirky..the disturbing one was his last one--a very British film...about a rapist-murderer who had sexual hang-ups...can't recall the title...get bk2me if you can, folks, talk later!

s wheat - 12:15am Jul 18, 1998 PST(#4 of 529)

I took a college seminar class on Hitchcock and was amazed at the symbolism and repetitive uses of themes apparent in his movies.Also, heard Donald Spoto speak. He wrote biography "Dark Side of Genius." For all Hitchcock lovers the book is a must.I live in San Francisco area so see many of the movie locaiton sites daily.

Balu Balachandra - 08:19am Jul 20, 1998 PST(#5 of 529)

S.L.Badoyan: The one with Gregory Peck is Spellbound, the one with Joseph Cotten is Gaslight, also starring Ingrid Bergman. You should also see Dial M for Murder. It is suspense of a different kind, you know what happened but the suspense is in seeing how everything gets resolved. You should also see 'To catch a Thief' with a suave Cary Grant, 'The Man who knew too much' the Doris Day classic of 'Que Sera Sera' fame and the early 1960's masterpiece with Audrey Hepburn, Cary Grant, Walter Matthau and a host of other stars.

Jerry Peterson - 09:32pm Jul 28, 1998 PST(#6 of 529)

SLB: The Joseph Cotten Hitch film you described is Shadow of a Doubt not Gaslight. The niece is Teresa Wright.

P Marlowe - 09:13pm Aug 20, 1998 PST(#7 of 529)
Glenview 7537 - Hollywood

Alfred Hitchcock's movies starred the most outstanding and popular actors in their time, yet everyone always went to see the movie because Hitch made it. That alone should tell us what a great film maker he was. He invented certain cinematic techniques, including spectacular special effects. While Vertigo is my favorite film, Shadow of a Doubt was Hitchcock's. And the fact that he always maintained that Psycho was a black comedy should tell us just how great he really was - it has taken me almost 30 years to see that in the film.

Katarina Rundgren - 12:26am Aug 21, 1998 PST(#8 of 529)
A stranger is a friend you have yet to meet

Please refresh my memory, I know most of Hitchcocks movies by their Swedish titles, which one was "Shadow of a doubt"?

"Vertigo" is one of my favourites too, but "The man who knew too much" (the version with J Stewart and D Day) and "Rear window" ranks right up there too I think.

P Marlowe - 09:21pm Aug 21, 1998 PST(#9 of 529)
Glenview 7537 - Hollywood

Shadow of a Doubt was set in Santa Rosa, CA, it was about the Uncle who came to town. The uncle however murdered wealthy women when he wasn't visiting his sister and family. His neice is named Charlie and so is he (Charles but called Charly). It is an outstanding film about Htich's love of criss-crossed people. Shadow and light, black and white - and the comic relief (is always there) is between Hume Cronyn and forget name who love to concoct murder stories at the dinner table.

columbo - 09:34pm Aug 21, 1998 PST(#10 of 529)

I like the idea of him making some kind of appearance in his movies. It's fun trying to find him.

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (519 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / Alfred Hitchcock  / The Movies of Alfred Hitchcock

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: