•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / Alfred Hitchcock  /

Alfred Hitchcock Presents: The TV Show

Alfred Hitchcock launched his TV show, "Alfred Hitchcock Presents," in 1955. The show ran until 1965, with one switch in networks, and used many seminal directors, writers, and important actors in the creation of this classic TV program. Discuss your favorite episodes with other fans and viewers here!

To discuss Hitchcock's Movies, click here. To discuss Hitchcock's short stories, magazine and anthologies, click here.

Cary Green - 04:52pm Aug 23, 1997 PST(#1 of 297)

I think Alfred Hitchcock presents is still one of the best shows on TV. The episode I watched last night (8/22/97) had William Shatner in it and started at a trial. I do not remember the name of the episode but the twist at the end involved who would die--Shatner's girlfriend or mother. Does anyone else remember this episode? What is your favorite episode?

-Cary

John M - 11:58am Feb 18, 1998 PST(#2 of 297)
Guest User

Henry Slesar wrote a lot of the stories which apeared on the TV series. You should pick up one of his short story anothologies like "Murders Most Macabre".

Susan Briley - 11:47pm Mar 9, 1998 PST(#3 of 297)

I love Alfred Hitchcock movies. I used to watch the show on Nick at Night, but it no longer airs in our area. My favorite movie of his is Marnie. My favorite episode of his show was one called The Monkeys Claw. If anyone has any info on how I can buy or find a copy of that episode, please post a message immediatley. Thanks

Mark J Tilford - 01:07am Mar 10, 1998 PST(#4 of 297)
A Freak among freaks

Was that based on W. W. Jacob's famous short story of the same name?

--- mjt

Bennie - 08:01pm Apr 3, 1998 PST(#5 of 297)
Guest User

I have a question. I was wondering if there was a t.v. show entitled Alfred Hitchcock Presents. It was a half hour show about diiferent stories each episode. The particular episode I was watching was probably taped sometime in the 1980's, based on the clothing, makeup, etc. Anyway, it was about a blonde woman who was sort of snooping on her nieghbours who had just moved in. She was complaining how she never saw the neighbour's wife. Well, as the story unfolded, it was discovered that the nieghbour's wife was afew fries short of a happy meal and the husband kept her locked up. Unfortuneatley, I missed the end and would like to know what happened, or whether or not this is actually a hitchcock story. Thanks for your help.

- 03:00pm Aug 3, 1998 PST(#6 of 297) Delete Message

I grew up reading the short story collections he edited (or ghost-edited). Not the annual things where stories from AHMM were shoved into hard cover or paperback, but the earlier ones (1945-1965) where he reprinted classic horror and suspense stories. I first read the story the became "The Birds" in AH's _14 of my Favorites in Suspense_. Through those collections I made the acquaintance of Ambrose Bierce, Jack Ritchie, Anthony Boucher, Wilbur Daniel Steele, and a lot more. There was even an early, non-detective Agatha Christie, called "Philomel Cottage", in which a woman comes to suspect that her husband is a murderer.

Which reminds me of AH's "Suspicion". The novel on which it's based (_Before the Fact_, by Francis Iles/Anthony Berkeley -- a truly great and neglected read!) has been one of my top favorites since my teens. And AH's film version is fine . . . until that horribly unbelievable happy ending. The story goes that Hitch wanted to have a scene where Lina (Joan Fontaine) writes out the whole story of Johnnie (Cary Grant) and his plan to murder her, seals it in an envelope, and asks Johnnie to mail it to her sister. She then drinks the poison he has given her. In the final scene we would see Johnnie blithely mailing the letter, thus ensuring his own doom. But the honchos at the studio nixed it, believing audiences would never swallow the idea of Cary Grant as a murderer. (There was a TV-movie version of "Suspicion" less than 10 years ago, with Jane Curtin as Lina. Worthy, but with the same stupid ending.)

As for his films, they are a little, shall we say, *measured* in their pacing. My mind tends to drift. At least you know there will actually be a story!

There was indeed an "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" TV series in the '50s and '60s. Usually it featured half-hour stories, usually crime-oriented with a twist, only occasionally a supernatural story. In its last season it was an hour-long series. I recall the production of "The Monkey's Paw" in about 1964. One of the half-hours stays in my memory: the young Walter Matthau and Robert Vaughn as crooks facing off in a dimly-lit cellar. Neat stuff.

Rebecca Brooks - 07:27am Aug 4, 1998 PST(#7 of 297)

Hi, It worked! I am sure I am the only one who is surprised. One weekly AH show I remember is the one where the wife does away with a nagging husband. She koncked him on the head with the frozen leg-of-Lamb she had just gotten from the freezer. She then proceeded to put the Lamb into the oven to bake, and called the police to report him murdered by an intruder. The half hour involved long and detailed searches for the murder weapon. When the Lamb was ready and dinner time had come, she invited the investigators to eat dinner. She did not feel like eating, she said. They sat around the dinner table eating the lamb while they discussed their suspicions of the wife but their inability to make an arrest until they found the murder weapon. She stood inside the living room door--listening and smiling.

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (290 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / Alfred Hitchcock  / Alfred Hitchcock Presents: The TV Show

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: