•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / True Crime  /

Strange Laws

Laws against feminine wiles? It's illegal to drive more than two thousand sheep down Hollywood Boulevard at one time?

Discuss laws that are outrageous, outdated, wasteful, ridiculous and just plain funny here!

Bogie - 12:43pm Apr 16, 1999 PST(#1 of 166)

I do remember hearing a law years ago about how you couldn't get a fish drunk in Tulsa, Oklahoma...

Darlene Campbell - 06:52am Apr 17, 1999 PST(#2 of 166)
icq#28889214

In Alaska it is illegal to provide alchohol to a moose. In San Francisco it is illegal to shoot a rabbit from the back window of a moving streetcar. You can't have an ugly horse in Washington or carry an ice cream cone in your pocket in Texas.

Baked Beans - 07:08am Apr 17, 1999 PST(#3 of 166)
Nothing is so hard to do gracefully as getting off your high horse.

...or spit on the sidewalk in Salem, Massachusetts.

Diana Light - 12:00pm Apr 17, 1999 PST(#4 of 166)

I know for that in Vancouver, BC, it is illegal to tie your horse on Main Street. It is also illegal for more than 4 women to reside together in the same residence, at the risk of it being labelled a brothel.

I remember reading someplace that it is illegal for a woman to buy a hat without her husband's permission.

Talk about out-dated laws!

Goodwin - 04:34pm Apr 17, 1999 PST(#5 of 166)
It's a kind of magic

LOL, what strange laws! They rise some questions to my mind:

1) How can one tell when the fish is drunk?

2)Can one shoot a rabbit from the front or side window of a moving street car?

3)Can one shoot a rabbit from the back window of a street car if the vehicle isn't moving?

4) Can one be expected to find a rabbit in the streets of S. Francisco?

5)Is there a beauty contest for horses in Washington?

6) Why would any texan want to carry an ice-cream cone in the pocket and why, oh why, should it be prohibited?

Darlene Campbell - 05:08pm Apr 17, 1999 PST(#6 of 166)
icq#28889214

This is such a nice change from the tight ends on some other discussions. It's legal to whip a women once a month in Texas but only once a month, not that I agree with whipping women but who would ever think up a law like this.

P Marlowe - 02:10pm Apr 18, 1999 PST(#7 of 166)
Glenview 7537 - Hollywood

As far as I remember, Darlene, you can still be hanged in Texas for stealing another man's horse. Don't think the laws been changed, but don't think it's enforced either.

Marilyn Dickey - 08:28pm Apr 18, 1999 PST(#8 of 166)
This Too Shall Pass

Goodwin,Thanks for the light hearted humor. Darlene You are so right this is a nice change.

Goodwin - 08:50am Apr 19, 1999 PST(#9 of 166)
It's a kind of magic

Marylin: anytime! :-)

Darlene: What if she is carrying an ice-cream cone in her pocket? Is she whipped more than once ?

Rich Barr - 02:43pm Apr 19, 1999 PST(#10 of 166)

I don't remember the name now, but there is a town around Lansing, Michigan which is required to maintain public horse troughs by its city charter. A few years ago the residents of this town voted on a measure to eliminate this provision. The measure failed--the town is STILL required to maintain public horse troughs.

athena - 04:00pm Apr 19, 1999 PST(#11 of 166)

think i heard that in Kansas that there is only one position to have sex that is legal. Every other way is illegal, Clinton had better stay outta Kansas.

Jennifer Lopez - 04:39pm Apr 19, 1999 PST(#12 of 166)

It is illegal to sneeze on the streets of Pittsburgh. You might startle a horse. In Massachusetts, the Stubborn Child Law was passed in 1646. It called for the death of disobedient children, provided their parents' were not at fault. Public whipping was usually substituted. This law was not repealed until 1973.

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (154 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / True Crime  / Strange Laws

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: