•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / True Crime  /

Strange Laws

Laws against feminine wiles? It's illegal to drive more than two thousand sheep down Hollywood Boulevard at one time?

Discuss laws that are outrageous, outdated, wasteful, ridiculous and just plain funny here!

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages More Messages (117 previous messages)
Rob Lewis - 11:10pm May 11, 2001 PST(#118 of 166)
ICQ#31475045

Pardon my colonial ignorance, but what is a Chelsea Pensioner?

Stevie B - 03:30pm May 12, 2001 PST(#119 of 166)
"If you put an infinite number of apes in front of an infinite number of computers, you get a pretty good idea of what internet chat rooms can be like" - Stevie B

How best to describe them.... they live at Chelsea Hospital, in London. The only people who can live there are retired soldiers who were injuerd in wars (my late Grandad was one). They wear red uniforms, with a three pointed hat.

Rob Lewis - 08:10pm May 19, 2001 PST(#120 of 166)
ICQ#31475045

Thanks you for the enlightenment. I've heard the phrase before, and always wondered who they were.

Rik Shepherd - 01:02pm May 28, 2001 PST(#121 of 166)
Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise (Margaret Atwood)

The original Chelsea Pensioners were the first commoners ever to get a regular payment from the English Crown, and had to prove they were genuine war veterans of good character; impersonating them was basically attempting to defraud the King, which royalty always disapproves of :o)

kirsten b - 07:52am Jun 13, 2001 PST(#122 of 166)

New York:

Flirting with a woman can earn a fine of $25. A second conviction is punishable by making the offender wear horse blinders in public.

The penalty for jumping off a building is death.

It's illegal to speak to a person while riding in an elevator and you must fold your hands while looking forward.

Peter Rabbit - 02:56am Sep 29, 2001 PST(#123 of 166)
Statistics show that 87% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I can't remember where this law applies, but somewhere in America it is illegal to put a skunk in your boss's desk.

John Doe Jr. - 05:59am Jan 9, 2002 PST(#124 of 166)
The refrigerator light DOES go out. Now let me out of here.

also...i just found http://www.lawguru.com/weird/

Heyli-Jane - 09:11pm Feb 2, 2002 PST(#125 of 166)

• *I once heard that in Florida they have an old law on the books that was never taken off. It states that it is illegal to take a shower in the nude.**

• *I also heard that somewhere in middle America, it is against the law to take a shower between the months of October and February.**

• *Since it was never taken off, a lot of people break the law every day.**

• Maggie Cat - 08:46pm May 13, 2003 PST(#126 of 166)
    "No fur, no paws, no tail. They run away from mice. They never get enough sleep. How can you help but love such an absurd animal?"- Catnip For The Soul

And we'd appreciate it if more people would break that law every day.

Maggie Cat - 02:29pm May 20, 2003 PST(#127 of 166)
    "No fur, no paws, no tail. They run away from mice. They never get enough sleep. How can you help but love such an absurd animal?"- Catnip For The Soul

The Ohio driving law states that you must honk the horn whenever you pass another car. God I wish they'd repeal that. EVERYONE follows it.

Ohio law also states it is illegal to fish for whales on Sunday.

Which is interesting since I didn't know there were whales in Lake Eerie ; )

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (39 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / True Crime  / Strange Laws

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
    Shopping Here: