Nancy Drew Books | Nancy Drew Games | Nancy Drew Auctions | Knowing Nancy Drew and Carolyn Keene | Discuss Nancy Drew

Nancy Drew Games Buy Nancy Drew Games
Support this website: Buy your games through our affiliation with Amazon. Browse Nancy Drew Games
Nancy Drew Books Buy Nancy Drew Books
Support this website: Buy your books through our affiliation with Amazon. Browse Nancy Drew Books

[F] Nancy Drew Grownups Discussions  / Changes to Nancy Drew  /

Originals vs. Today

How does the first Nancy Drew mystery compare with the most recently published book?

Share your thoughts-- post a message below.

lookingfornancy - 12:18pm Sep 2, 1998 PST(#1 of 3299)
Hypers Nancy !

Nancy has changed quite a bit over the years! I think the first 50 or so (give or take a few) were alot more fun then the ones being written today. They seem to have lost a great deal of excitment & adventure over the years. Maybe it's because I'm older now but the car chases etc. all seem to pat. More like an obligation than a plot device.Of course that doesn't stop me from reading them!

Special Agent Dana Scully - 02:12pm Sep 5, 1998 PST(#2 of 3299)

I believe that the older nancy drews (like 1-75) have more quality to them. In the newer books it just seems like they are put out on the market to attract "teeny-bopper" attention, if you know what I mean. Also, this website says there are 1,930 Nancy Drew books present. Come on, who are you trying to fool here. Carolyn Keene probably wrote the first wave of books, but it takes a lot of time for one person to write 1,930 books.

_Sunshine_ - 02:37pm Sep 5, 1998 PST(#3 of 3299)
...redefining Normal, one day at a time.

Well, for starters, I don't believe Carolyn Keene ever existed... Isn't it true that it's just a false name used by whoever was writing them? As I recall there were several different writers for the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books. I heard that awhile ago, but I'm not entirely sure it's accurate.

lookingfornancy - 10:13pm Sep 5, 1998 PST(#4 of 3299)
Hypers Nancy !

Your right Sunshinegirl Carolyn Keene is just a pseudonym for a few ghost writers. Mildred w. Benson wrote the first 25 except for 8,9&10( Walter Karig ) . Harriet Adams wrote them after that & also revised the earlier editions. I don't know the names of the writers after that but I'm sure someone out there does!

Karen - 03:27pm Sep 6, 1998 PST(#5 of 3299)

I have all the original yellow books published by Grosset and Dunlap from when I was a young girl. My Mom originally signed me up for the Nancy Drew book club, and I have kept it up over the years. I believe I now have over 100 of them, including the newer paperbacks. I have "lived" thru Nancy forever! I'm very glad this site exists! Karen

"Helen Corning" - 09:48am Sep 7, 1998 PST(#6 of 3299)

You're right about those other authors, lookingfor. I also once read that Edward Straitmeyer, who owned the syndicate, wrote the first three books and then created outlines for many of the subsequent ones. I discovered that many of my favorite Nancy mysteries were written by the same person: Mildred Wirt Benson. Makes sense, I guess. Here's a question for everyone: What do you think Nancy would be like at, say, age 30? 40? 50? Would she marry Ned? Continue sleuthing? Pursue a career in law? Go grey gracefully or color her hair to maintain its titian glory?!

_Sunshine_ - 11:02am Sep 8, 1998 PST(#7 of 3299)
...redefining Normal, one day at a time.

Well, that would account for all the little inconsistencies throughout the series. I remember reading one book ('way, 'way back) that referred to Bess as Elizabeth. I didn't know who she was! I kept thinking, When's Bess gonna make it into this story? Didn't figure it out 'til the end of the book.

Re: Helen's question, I think Ned would snatch her up the moment he graduates (he's in college, right? I can't seem to remember) and they'd have 3.5 kids and 1.4 pets. Nancy would be the dutiful housewife, yet a persistent sleuth, popping the kids in the car on every errand of justice she runs. They would all grow up to be super-sleuths in their own right, and continually pester Mom to slow down and act her age.

She, of course, would not listen, and continue getting herself into and out of precarious situations with grace and charm. She may allow the gray to have it's way, or a bit of vanity may creep up in her old(er) age and cause her to dye it. Either way, she would continue to be the spunky, persistent critter she is at the young age of 18.

MARIE-14 - 12:50pm Sep 8, 1998 PST(#8 of 3299)

I REALLY LIKED THE ORIGNALS BETTER THAN TODAYS BOOKS. NED AND NANCY ARE NOT A COUPLE IN TODAYS BOOK AND THAT REALLY BITES. ALSO THERE IS NO SUSPENCE, ACTION AND IN THE CAMPUS BOOKS ALL IT DOES IS TALK ABOUT THERE PROBLEMS THAN A BIG TIME MYSTERY. BUT I STILL READ THEM. I HOPE THAT THEY STILL HAVE THE NANCY DREW MOVIES IN THE VIDEO STORE BECAUSE I WOULD LIKE TO RENT THEM ALSO.

Mollie Nagel - 10:48pm Sep 10, 1998 PST(#9 of 3299)

I am in TOTAL SHOCK over Nancy's "marriage". I surfed over here to see if there were "young reader" Nancy books for my 9 year old and noticed the promo for the "E-Mail Mystery" book at the bottom of the page. Her father-in-law ??????What book did it happen in ?? I can't believe I haven't heard about this, considering all the literary sites I browse !!Hope some of you can clue me in....this is most shocking !!Mollie :o)

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (3290 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Nancy Drew Grownups Discussions  / Changes to Nancy Drew  / Originals vs. Today