Nancy Drew Books | Nancy Drew Games | Nancy Drew Auctions | Knowing Nancy Drew and Carolyn Keene | Discuss Nancy Drew

Nancy Drew Games Buy Nancy Drew Games
Support this website: Buy your games through our affiliation with Amazon. Browse Nancy Drew Games
Nancy Drew Books Buy Nancy Drew Books
Support this website: Buy your books through our affiliation with Amazon. Browse Nancy Drew Books

[F] Nancy Drew Grownups Discussions  / Changes to Nancy Drew  /

Nancy Drew Over the Decades

Nancy Drew is one-of-a-kind...
How has Nancy Drew changed through the years?
  • Which books are your favorites? Why?
  • Which book really shows Nancy at her best?

Share your thoughts-- post a message below.

Jasmine - 09:50pm Aug 21, 1997 PST(#1 of 1755)

I think a lot of people, especially women, have fond memories of Nancy Drew. I think Nancy was for girls and boys read The Hardy Boys. Both my mom and aunt and many of my friends have all read Nancy and say they loved reading her books. My aunt said it was such a thrill when the new one in the series (during the '50s and '60s) came out. I only read a few when I was about 10, but I think I'll pick one next time I'm at the bookstore, for nostalgia sake.

I read a parody of Nancy Drew by Bobbie Ann Mason, and it was really funny. Has anyone else read it?

The Watcher - 02:16pm Aug 22, 1997 PST(#2 of 1755)

I agree with Jasmine. Nancy Drew is as popular as ever. In the '30s and '40s, Nancy Drew books were published at an astounding rate of one per month. Today, Simon and Schuster matches that output. As of 1993, Nancy Drew book sales reached 80 million copies and were printed in 14 languages.

What fond memories do you have of reading Nancy Drew? Would you recommend the books to your daughters or nieces?

Kathy Helmly - 09:20pm Aug 29, 1997 PST(#3 of 1755)

I'm new to this message board. I just heard this was here and decided to check it out. This is great. I really have missed the Applewood messageboard. I'm a Nancy Drew fan and collector and am looking for some ND items. If anyone out there has a Nancy Drew lunchbox and thermos and also any old or new magazines with Nancy Drew articles in them, please let me know.

Thanks, Kathy

Jenny Smoyer - 06:55pm Sep 2, 1997 PST(#4 of 1755)

My favorite ND had to be the one that scared the pants off of me! I can't remember the exact title but it was something like- The Mystery at Blackwatch?? Hall?

I know it is not Blackwatch and that my recent trip to Scotland is screwing my brain up! Can anyone help me recall the correct title?

Many thanks in advance! Jen

Marilee - 11:12pm Sep 3, 1997 PST(#5 of 1755)

Jenny, The Ghost of Blackwood Hall?

As a collector of the series i loved as a girl, i prefer any of the original Mildred Wirt Benson stories where, to me, Nancy seems the least conventional, the more driven to solve mysteries, and the most interesting. It was, afterall, Benson who first brought Stratemyer's "chalk" outline of Nancy to life... creating the breeder set of the first three N.Drew books as well as another 23 stories. At the age when I began reading Nancy--around 8--it was her unheard of amounts of heady freedom that most appealed to me. Could that be why I drive a Drew-blue car? I, too, liked The Hidden Staircase--2nd in the series; The Haunted Bridge (a golf course mystery); and The Password to Larkspur Lane. But it was The Ivory Charm that convinced me to get my own flashlight and em- bark on a life of mystery reading. You see, a Crackerjack 'charm' that I found WHILE I WAS READING THE BOOK was a little white elephant like the one in the book! A life of investigating and snooping coupled with a love of books [like that first old blue covered, orange print N.Drew volume I discovered on our basement bookshelves] has led me to an academic career with literary analysis aplenty.

Oh yes, and i far prefer the longer (with more atmosphere and more exotic turns of phrase ala the 1930's) pre-1950/60's editions of the books. After that time some of the politically incorrect biases and downright offensive stereotypes were removed from the books it's true, but they also lost an exotic 'feel' of being of another time because of an updated vocabulary and shorter length. I wanted to spend as much time in Nancy's world as possible, after all. Sorry to all for being so long- winded!

Jenny Smoyer - 03:50pm Sep 5, 1997 PST(#6 of 1755)

Thanks Marilee! That is it. What made me feel really silly is that, when I got home I discovered that the book is right on my book shelf. (most of them are in safe keeping at my mother's house). The great thing is is that I think it is a first edition. Is there anyway to tell for sure? (i am new to the idea of book collecting and am starting to realize that my stash seems to be a literary gold mine!!)

I also agree that Nancy was the dream of freedom and adventure for me. I read everything I could of hers- including those "Choose Your Own Adventure" type books. Remeber those?

Owning a convertible? Nancy couldn't get much cooler.

Kathleen - 09:38pm Sep 6, 1997 PST(#7 of 1755)

Jenny, I'm not sure which one it was, put in one, she got trapped In her convertible! I'd like a car like that. A blue convertible! :-)

Kat

Connie Starkey - 09:10pm Sep 19, 1997 PST(#8 of 1755)

As a pre-teen, I devoured every Nancy Drew book that I could get my hands on! I also read Trixie Belden, Hardy Boys, and Cherry Ames. I still have all of my books boxed up and in the attic.

I often browse antique stores and fleamarkets and find early editions of these books. I still enjoy reading them!

My bestfriend and I spent a great deal of our time looking for, and sometimes finding, mysteries to solve. I guess I'm still a closet Nancy Drew junkie...glad to see that I'm not alone.

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (1747 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Nancy Drew Grownups Discussions  / Changes to Nancy Drew  / Nancy Drew Over the Decades