Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  /

Dorothy L. Sayers

Dorothy L. Sayers Books

Find Books by:
In Association with Amazon.com

MysteryBookstore.com, in association with Amazon.com, offers books picks by this author and many more.
• Browse authors and genres
• Any book bought supports MysteryNet.com-- save up to 40%
A classic author from the golden era of mysteries, Dorothy L. Sayers is best known for her series featuring nobleman-detective Lord Peter Wimsey.

For more about Dorothy Sayers, read the profile in Dorothy L. Sayers Profile at the Mystery Time Line.

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages More Messages (99 previous messages)
Luci Davin - 04:48am May 9, 2002 PST(#100 of 118)

If any Dorothy L Sayers fans would like to join in a discussion of Gaudy Night, they would be welcome to join the womeninmystery email discussion group - discussion starts on 9 May but don't be deterred if you see this later.

Luci

Women in Mystery URL http://groups.yahoo.com/group/womeninmystery

john wilson rogers - 04:11am Jun 20, 2002 PST(#101 of 118)

which detective lived in a flat off piccadilly next to bottle street police station

Mario Silva - 03:55am Jul 7, 2002 PST(#102 of 118)

John would it be the fabulous (Margery Allingham's) Albert Campion?

And I wonder why she's not among these "Mystery Greats"........

Bettina - 05:04pm Sep 23, 2002 PST(#103 of 118)

I read Gaudy Night when I was rather young, 16 I think. I was very much impressed and from that day on, my greatest wish was to study in Oxford. I wanted to be a scholar and rediscover footnotes that had been forgotten for centuries. I wanted to learn to be well-bred and to speak with the Oxford accent. I wanted to be sophisticated and have endless discussions about values and things. Somehow, however, I never got to Oxford. First of all, my marks weren't nearly good enough. And then, my parents would never have been able to afford the fees. I'm 22 now, studying English in Germany. And actually, I'm always pleased when I come across one of Lord Peter's and Harriet's many quotations in my reading. I've never read any Kai-Lung though, nor any Donne. It's not the kind of thing that's usually on the syllabus of German universities. But I've read Tristram Shandy, just because Harriet reads it in Have His Carcase. And I enjoyed it quite a lot! Anyway, I just want to say that reading Sayers has influenced me and my perception of English literature quite a lot. I know I sound very solemn. Never mind. I'd be interested to know if any of you have had similar experiences while reading Sayers.

Bettina

Magnus Klaue - 01:03pm Sep 29, 2002 PST(#104 of 118)

have to admit that i dislike the books of dorothy l. sayers VERY much. i think they are an exellent example for a kind of pseudo-intellectual literature that tries to be appear than it is. these exhausting dialogues about arts, fashion, philosohy, literature...just to show that she is intelligent and knows all the classics. but in the whole, the books are totally boring!! the plots may be sufficient for a short story but not for a novel. besides, she is racist and fascist, just read what she writes about the 'working class', about indians, blacks and so on...it's a horrible experience to read these books.

Bettina - 03:35am Oct 8, 2002 PST(#105 of 118)

Hey, this is cool!

At last someone who actually writes something controversial! Thanks Magnus.

Of course, the reader of a Sayers novel must always bear in mind that she wrote it before WW II when political correctness was as unheard of as space rockets.

I admit that she is a little show-off. I don't deny it, even though I realised it only lately.

Actually I would like Magnus to give some examples of Dorothy Sayers' racism and fascism. As he suffered so much reading her novels, I'm sure he'll be able to give us some interesting quotations.

I'd be looking forward to them.

Magnus Klaue - 04:34am Oct 22, 2002 PST(#106 of 118)

Bettina, I remember that there are a lot of passages in "Whose Body" about the 'character' of Jews, and the Jewish protagonist in this novel, the banker, is a good example for an antisemitist caricature. Besides, I believe that in "Unnatural Death", for example, there is a discussion with Whimsey about the habits of the "lower" races. But I don't think just about certain statements in her book, I think it could be shown that her portraits of women, for example, are really misogynist. The intelligent women in Sayers have always sexual comlexes and they are regarded as boring and unattractive (for example the painter in "Bellona", a typical "Blaustrumpf"). This is not only a question of time of publication. The novels of JD Carr or Ellery Queen during these years are much less narrow-minded. I believe it is more a question of 'class attitude'. Besides, you have to admit that her novels are really POOR as detective stories. The puzzle plots are almost non-existent (in "Bellona", for example, the main 'trick' with the dead body is explained in the middle of the book, and the rest is an irrelevancy). I think she wrote some clever short stories, but compared to Queen or Christie, she is no good whodunit author. I think she wanted to much, she tried to be a 'high-brow', intellectual author (which Christie never wanted to be), and that's why I don't like her books.

Sonia pargas - 02:30pm Oct 28, 2002 PST(#107 of 118)

Hi" I am sonia pargas . I have read many of your stories . They are interesting. I like your stories becouse they have alot of action in them.I am a realy smart parson and like reading.I lke reading becouse it is fun and it teaches you alot about life.Eading is fun to me becouse it tells me about oher peoples life"s and how they lived them.

LOVE, Sonia Pargas

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (11 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / Dorothy L. Sayers

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: