Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  /

Dorothy L. Sayers

Dorothy L. Sayers Books

Find Books by:
In Association with Amazon.com

MysteryBookstore.com, in association with Amazon.com, offers books picks by this author and many more.
• Browse authors and genres
• Any book bought supports MysteryNet.com-- save up to 40%
A classic author from the golden era of mysteries, Dorothy L. Sayers is best known for her series featuring nobleman-detective Lord Peter Wimsey.

For more about Dorothy Sayers, read the profile in Dorothy L. Sayers Profile at the Mystery Time Line.

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages More Messages (23 previous messages)
Edith Beers - 10:02pm Jan 26, 1999 PST(#24 of 118)

To Whitney Vale,#15 -I check The Internet Movie Database Ltd found there was a movie -Called Haunted Honeymoon (1940)aka: Busman's Honeymoon staring Robert Montgomery as Lord Peter - but couldn't find it on video - would love to see that one - Edith

Hermia - 06:25am Jan 27, 1999 PST(#25 of 118)

I've never read a Sayers book before. Can anyone recommend a good one?

whitney vale - 07:08am Jan 27, 1999 PST(#26 of 118)

Hermia( what a wonderful name) (I played Hermia a few years back) anyway, WHOSE BODY is fun.

lynn riddle - 07:24am Jan 29, 1999 PST(#27 of 118)

was in love with lord peter, but now i think i will spend my life with bunter. to hermia.....whose body is the best to start out with.....but all are wonderful has anyone ever readDorothy and Agatha by Gaylord Larsen? very nice to have them together. two books i have read by the Detection Club(DLS,AC,et al) Floating Admiral and Ask A Policeman..am interested in hearing from any Sayers fans.

Nancy BV - 12:06am Feb 7, 1999 PST(#28 of 118)

I thought I was the only one with a crush on Lord Peter! His finally accepted proposal to Harriet was the most romantic thing I've ever read in my life, not that romances in general are very appealing. Not enough bloodshed, generally. Sigh. I have all the books and reread them every few years - and yes, there is also that "going to Oxford" fantasy. And being able to spout Greek and Latin at the apposite moments, and better yet, to have your spoutings understood and appreciated.

Diva - 06:58pm Feb 15, 1999 PST(#29 of 118)
look famous, be legendary, appear complex, act easy, radiate presence, travel light, seem a dream, prove real

The to person asking about the book Sayers co-wrote (other than Thrones, Dominations), there was a book called The Documents in the Case, can't remember who she wrote it with but most if not all of it was in the form of letters written to people. Quite good, although rather technical.

It is so hard, but I think my favourites are Murder Must Advertise (was studying advertising when I first read it, and I loved the harlequin character. And also Gaudy Night, the Oxford setting was fab and I loved Peter's nephew (can't remember name - St George?).

Unlike others here, I did like strong poison, but I had seen the BBC series version of it before I read it, so I could picture it. Didn't like clouds of witness very much, found it rather slow and dragged a lot. Five Red Herrings and The Nine Taylors were fun. I have also read Unpleasantness at the Bellona (sp?) club, Whose Body?, Habeas Corpus (v. clever), Lord Peter View the Body (short stories), and Mystery at Talboys (novella, with Harriet & Peter's children in it, 3 boys if I remember correctly). Busman's Honeymoon was excellent, I also liked the emotions showed by Peter.

Is there one called Hangman's Holiday? What is it about because I don't think I have read it? And does anyone know who starred in the BBC production, I can picture Harriet, who was excellent, but I cant remember her name or who played Peter.

Enough for a first time poster :-)

Elizabeth Hayes Smith - 09:37am Mar 1, 1999 PST(#30 of 118)
Lilly

To Bobbie Jeffers (#13)

Hi, I've just finished Five Red Herrings on audiobook. I'd love to just lay around and read Sayers, but alas, who has time! So, I grab what I can in the car on audiobook.

I thought it was a marvelous book, although a bit convoluted. Have you had the chance to read it or were you looking for a review of it? I'd love to discuss it if you like.

Godfrey - 06:15pm Mar 4, 1999 PST(#31 of 118)

I just purchased "Thrones, Dominations" by Sayers and Jill Paton Walsh. It is supposedly an unfinished manuscript about Lord Peter and Harriet after "Busman's Honeymoon" of Sayers that Walsh finished.

Has anyone read it or heard anything about it. Does anyone know anything about Ms. Walsh. I've never heard of her before.

Elizabeth Hayes Smith - 09:29am Mar 1, 1999 PST(#32 of 118)
Lilly

Hello, all,

So, I've listened to my first Dorothy Sayers on audiobook, Five Red Herrings. Now, I am a died-in-the-wool Ngaio Marsh fan (the pun is intended, she wrote a novel by that name) and I never thought I'd find another to match her. While Marsh is still my favorite, I'd have to say Sayers is coming in a close second. I do like the silly, wry Lord Peter a great deal. And who could not adore Bunter??

My only critique is, perhaps, that I should not have listened to audiobook for this one. Red Herrings is a bit convoluted, and it is hard to keep track of all the characters without seeing their names on a page. Also, the Scots accents on this book-on-tape were so so thick I had trouble listening. In book form it would be easier to decipher.

Never fear, I've joined a mystery club and anticipate the arrival of two of Sayers' finest soon...

Who here has read Five Red Herrings? Did anyone pick the murderer before then ending (we can converse confidentially so as not to give it away :)

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (86 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / Dorothy L. Sayers

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: