Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  /

Dorothy L. Sayers

Dorothy L. Sayers Books

Find Books by:
In Association with Amazon.com

MysteryBookstore.com, in association with Amazon.com, offers books picks by this author and many more.
• Browse authors and genres
• Any book bought supports MysteryNet.com-- save up to 40%
A classic author from the golden era of mysteries, Dorothy L. Sayers is best known for her series featuring nobleman-detective Lord Peter Wimsey.

For more about Dorothy Sayers, read the profile in Dorothy L. Sayers Profile at the Mystery Time Line.

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages More Messages (2 previous messages)
Peace Destounis - 11:17pm May 3, 1998 PST(#3 of 118)
Mahna mahna.... do do doo do doo...Mahna Mahna.....dodododo....MAHNA MAHNA

Joyce...you must read Busman's Honeymoon, where Peter's new bride confesses her deep love of Bunter, and where there is some lovely Bunter adjusting to the new marriage stuff. Do you like Wodehouse's Jeeves? The original and best gentleman's gentleman. I think that Bunter would consider himself above a mere kitchen maid...besides I rather think he was in love with Peter himself, in his very proper British way.

Joyce Stumpff - 07:19pm May 5, 1998 PST(#4 of 118)

Peace - Hi, yes I do like Jeeves. I will try to find Busman's Honeymoon. It sounds like a great book. I always find the class structure "below stairs" fascinating, and you're right, a butler is definitely at the top of that class.

Beth Glass - 11:52am May 6, 1998 PST(#5 of 118)

Peace, I'm glad you mentioned Busman's Honeymoon. I'm also a huge fan of Lord Peter (I even love his middle name: DEATH (!) pronounced Deeth --boy, those English people and their pronunciations). Anyway, at the end of Busman's Honeymoon, when the bad guy receives his just desserts, we get a rare glimpse of a strong male mystery character ACTUALLY getting very emotional about the outcome, i.e. the bad guy's being sentenced to death. At the moment the hanging takes place, our sensitive Lord Peter is overwrought and the book ends it right there, no rosey happy ending, but reality, pangs of conscience, etc. On another subject: does anyone else absolutely love Martha Grimes' Detective Richard Jury. Share, share!

Lars Johan Månsson - 11:22am May 7, 1998 PST(#6 of 118)
Guest User

Hi Joyce, After reading Around the world in 80 days and experiencing the adventures of Passepartout I went on reading the books with Lord Peter and his butler Bunter. Then I discovered PG Wodehouse´s Jeeves and I was hooked. Shortly after I travelled to England and trained to become a Gentlemans gentleman and I have now enjoyed several years abroad working as a butler. So I would like to thank you for your very kind words. But I have yet to find my ideal employer. Because adventure, an old Rolls Royce and leather luggage certainly is a must. I would like to recommend the books about Bulldog Drummond and his four rounds with Carl Peterson by Sapper Fairlie. Also the books by Dornford Yates which is my own favourite author. They may be hard to get but well worth the chase!

Sincerely,

/Lars Johan Månsson/

Maggie Groves - 12:41am Jul 9, 1998 PST(#7 of 118)

Dorothy Sayers an absolute gem. Well read, knowledgable. Suppose the Internet audience already knows of her degree in theology and several books published by her on that subject? Gaudy Night my absolute favourite. Need help with the title of the book co-written by Mrs Sayers, Dame Christie, etc. Anyone know? Ms Glass--English pronunciations? Colony pronunciations are bloody awful!! What other way is there to pronounce "Death?" My father's name was Raymond Percy Clerk (pronounced "Clark", as in Clark Gable.) Any confirmation to the rumour that Mrs Sayers was in love with Lord Wimsey?

Gail Goldoor - 10:58pm Jul 17, 1998 PST(#8 of 118)

Yes, you can be in love with Peter, Peace, but get in line. Romances with fictional characters are so much more manageable. Sayers is probably my all time favorite mystery writer because she is so literate and because of Peter, of course. One of my favorites is The Nine Tailors. The information about campanology (the art of bell ringing) was intriguing, not too mention esoteric. I mean, who could know so much about bell ringing and make it an integral part of a mystery but Sayers, a scholar first. Anyway, now I am reading Thrones, Dominations supposedly begun by Sayers and finished by Jill Paton Walsh, with whom I'm unfamiliar. Just started it but am thinking it doesn't have much punch or the intricate detail (and I'm not talking about setting) that Sayers brought to her work. That probably has alot to do with the fact that Sayers didn't really write this. But I just had to read this book, if for no other reason than a further experience with Peter, pronounced Pee-tuh.

John Daniel Collins - 09:59am Jul 29, 1998 PST(#9 of 118)

Pee-tuh's dandy, but Harriet Vane Wimsey rules. Harriet and the Dowager Duchess--especially her diary--also must give us great insight into the mind of Sayers herself, no?

Ross Moritz - 02:26am Aug 9, 1998 PST(#10 of 118)

Lord Peter was an enjoyable sleuth to read, but I found Harriet Vane a royal pain. The books with her seemed to drag. I enjoyed them, but not as much as the ones where his Lordship worked without her. I own all of the books, and am just starting to re-read them. I cannot wait to rediscover this remarkable detective.

Edie - 08:50pm Aug 27, 1998 PST(#11 of 118)

After watching the PBS Series on Lord Peter I had to read the books - I've enjoy all of them - It would be fun to see more of the books on TV - The British know how to do them right - Edie

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (107 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / Dorothy L. Sayers

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: