Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  /

Dorothy L. Sayers

Dorothy L. Sayers Books

Find Books by:
In Association with Amazon.com

MysteryBookstore.com, in association with Amazon.com, offers books picks by this author and many more.
• Browse authors and genres
• Any book bought supports MysteryNet.com-- save up to 40%
A classic author from the golden era of mysteries, Dorothy L. Sayers is best known for her series featuring nobleman-detective Lord Peter Wimsey.

For more about Dorothy Sayers, read the profile in Dorothy L. Sayers Profile at the Mystery Time Line.

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages More Messages (29 previous messages)
Elizabeth Hayes Smith - 09:37am Mar 1, 1999 PST(#30 of 118)
Lilly

To Bobbie Jeffers (#13)

Hi, I've just finished Five Red Herrings on audiobook. I'd love to just lay around and read Sayers, but alas, who has time! So, I grab what I can in the car on audiobook.

I thought it was a marvelous book, although a bit convoluted. Have you had the chance to read it or were you looking for a review of it? I'd love to discuss it if you like.

Godfrey - 06:15pm Mar 4, 1999 PST(#31 of 118)

I just purchased "Thrones, Dominations" by Sayers and Jill Paton Walsh. It is supposedly an unfinished manuscript about Lord Peter and Harriet after "Busman's Honeymoon" of Sayers that Walsh finished.

Has anyone read it or heard anything about it. Does anyone know anything about Ms. Walsh. I've never heard of her before.

Elizabeth Hayes Smith - 09:29am Mar 1, 1999 PST(#32 of 118)
Lilly

Hello, all,

So, I've listened to my first Dorothy Sayers on audiobook, Five Red Herrings. Now, I am a died-in-the-wool Ngaio Marsh fan (the pun is intended, she wrote a novel by that name) and I never thought I'd find another to match her. While Marsh is still my favorite, I'd have to say Sayers is coming in a close second. I do like the silly, wry Lord Peter a great deal. And who could not adore Bunter??

My only critique is, perhaps, that I should not have listened to audiobook for this one. Red Herrings is a bit convoluted, and it is hard to keep track of all the characters without seeing their names on a page. Also, the Scots accents on this book-on-tape were so so thick I had trouble listening. In book form it would be easier to decipher.

Never fear, I've joined a mystery club and anticipate the arrival of two of Sayers' finest soon...

Who here has read Five Red Herrings? Did anyone pick the murderer before then ending (we can converse confidentially so as not to give it away :)

Marsha Francis - 09:30pm Mar 5, 1999 PST(#33 of 118)

Godfrey, I don't know anything about Ms Walsh, but I've read Thrones and I liked it. Usually, I don't like books where someone else has taken up a favorite character - I adore Nero Wolfe, but only when written by Rex Stout - but this one was exceptional. I recommend it to Lord Peter fans.

Rik Shepherd. - 09:08am Mar 6, 1999 PST(#34 of 118)
Never hire a ferret to do a weasel's job

Godfrey,

Jill Paton Walsh wrote a book called 'A Piece of Justice', a nicely story about a female academic at Cambridge called Imogen Quy (? I'm not totally sure about that name, surprisingly enough) whose tenant gets a job ghostwriting a biography, then disappears after finding out that a number of peole have vanished or died soon after starting the same biography.... It's a neat book, with a satisfying end (which Radio 4 missed off their fairly recent adaptation) and I think it's part of series.

Patricia - 02:01pm Mar 30, 1999 PST(#35 of 118)

I am a lifelong fan of Dorothy L. Sayers' mysteries. I especially enjoy those involving Harriet Vane (my idol!). I have all of the Ian Carmichael and Edward Petherbridge Wimsey BBC episodes on videotape, my treasures! I am also a fan of Sherlock Holmes and Dame Agatha Christie. I was a founding member of a Sherlockian scion society and its first newsletter editor. My favorite Christie sleuths are Tuppence & Tommy. I have the entire "Partners in Crime" series on videotape. Ngaio Marsh is another favorite. I've had hundreds of articles and many books published. Someday I hope to write a mystery series. I have already created my detective in my mind's eye. Let's talk! =^,,^= Pat

Margaret Campbell - 02:04pm Jun 4, 1999 PST(#36 of 118)

I loved Thrones, Dominations, although I was a tad frustrated by the end (I won't go into detail, of course). Are the BBC Peter Wimsey series available on Video? I havent seen them anywhere...

I've been reading Sayers since I was 15 or so, and Murder Must Advertise is my favorite. My prize possesion is a 1942-ish copy of Whose Body? with a fabulous pulp-fiction style cover on it. Has anyone seen others like this? I'm not a collecter yet, but close.

I would have long arguments with my mother over the casting of Peter if they ever put it to film again.

Let's Discuss!

Joyce Whitley - 01:18am Jun 6, 1999 PST(#37 of 118)

I wonder why my posts here never seem to get posted...I must be doing something wrong.

In any event, Thrones, Dominations was excellent as a novel and as a piece of social history. As a puzzle it left something to be desired--and I'm afraid we must lay that one at DLS's door, since Walsh was working from her outline.

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (81 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / Dorothy L. Sayers

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: