Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  /

Dorothy L. Sayers

Dorothy L. Sayers Books

Find Books by:
In Association with Amazon.com

MysteryBookstore.com, in association with Amazon.com, offers books picks by this author and many more.
• Browse authors and genres
• Any book bought supports MysteryNet.com-- save up to 40%
A classic author from the golden era of mysteries, Dorothy L. Sayers is best known for her series featuring nobleman-detective Lord Peter Wimsey.

For more about Dorothy Sayers, read the profile in Dorothy L. Sayers Profile at the Mystery Time Line.

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages More Messages (32 previous messages)
Marsha Francis - 08:30pm Mar 5, 1999 PST(#33 of 118)

Godfrey, I don't know anything about Ms Walsh, but I've read Thrones and I liked it. Usually, I don't like books where someone else has taken up a favorite character - I adore Nero Wolfe, but only when written by Rex Stout - but this one was exceptional. I recommend it to Lord Peter fans.

Rik Shepherd. - 08:08am Mar 6, 1999 PST(#34 of 118)
Never hire a ferret to do a weasel's job

Godfrey,

Jill Paton Walsh wrote a book called 'A Piece of Justice', a nicely story about a female academic at Cambridge called Imogen Quy (? I'm not totally sure about that name, surprisingly enough) whose tenant gets a job ghostwriting a biography, then disappears after finding out that a number of peole have vanished or died soon after starting the same biography.... It's a neat book, with a satisfying end (which Radio 4 missed off their fairly recent adaptation) and I think it's part of series.

Patricia - 01:01pm Mar 30, 1999 PST(#35 of 118)

I am a lifelong fan of Dorothy L. Sayers' mysteries. I especially enjoy those involving Harriet Vane (my idol!). I have all of the Ian Carmichael and Edward Petherbridge Wimsey BBC episodes on videotape, my treasures! I am also a fan of Sherlock Holmes and Dame Agatha Christie. I was a founding member of a Sherlockian scion society and its first newsletter editor. My favorite Christie sleuths are Tuppence & Tommy. I have the entire "Partners in Crime" series on videotape. Ngaio Marsh is another favorite. I've had hundreds of articles and many books published. Someday I hope to write a mystery series. I have already created my detective in my mind's eye. Let's talk! =^,,^= Pat

Margaret Campbell - 01:04pm Jun 4, 1999 PST(#36 of 118)

I loved Thrones, Dominations, although I was a tad frustrated by the end (I won't go into detail, of course). Are the BBC Peter Wimsey series available on Video? I havent seen them anywhere...

I've been reading Sayers since I was 15 or so, and Murder Must Advertise is my favorite. My prize possesion is a 1942-ish copy of Whose Body? with a fabulous pulp-fiction style cover on it. Has anyone seen others like this? I'm not a collecter yet, but close.

I would have long arguments with my mother over the casting of Peter if they ever put it to film again.

Let's Discuss!

Joyce Whitley - 12:18am Jun 6, 1999 PST(#37 of 118)

I wonder why my posts here never seem to get posted...I must be doing something wrong.

In any event, Thrones, Dominations was excellent as a novel and as a piece of social history. As a puzzle it left something to be desired--and I'm afraid we must lay that one at DLS's door, since Walsh was working from her outline.

Joyce Whitley - 12:24am Jun 6, 1999 PST(#38 of 118)

Heavens to Betsy! It's working. Here were my other thoughts:

1) The Nine Tailors was the very best DLS mystery;

2) in order to decide what my second-best is, I have to decide if I'm thinking "as a mystery," or "as a novel," since so many of her books were both;

3) as a novel, Gaudy Night was the best;

4) I rather liked the puzzle aspect of Have His Carcase, though I did skim over the chapter in which Peter and Harriet laboriously tried to figure out the code;

5) The Five Red Herrings can only be read with a chart handy, to keep track of the six suspects' whereabouts and characteristics. Using this tool I did manage to figure out WHO--though not HOW, of course;

6) Whose Body is elegant in its simplicity, and Unnatural Death makes a strong moral statement that I rather liked.

Margt Campbell - 09:38am Jun 8, 1999 PST(#39 of 118)

The appeal of Murder Must Advertise to me is the wonderful image of Peter in the Harlequin suit doing a swan dive at the party. I love the characterization in the novel as well. The dowager is wonderful. One of Sayers' strongest points: most every scene is memorable, and some images are positively chilling.

Somewhat less well known are her short stories, my favorite being the one set in Basque country in Spain.

There was a novel written in the sixties, I think, called Dorothy and Agatha that I picked up in a used book store. It wasn't very good though.

Are there any other pastiche-type things or novels out there?

Margaret

Margaret

Michael Derr - 05:19pm Jun 24, 1999 PST(#40 of 118)

My favorite books by Sayers are Unnatural death and Murder Must Advertise. The Nine Tailors follows close behind. Have yet to read Gaudy Night. Want to chat?

Kerry Elkins - 06:16pm Jul 2, 1999 PST(#41 of 118)

I've been in love with Peter for about 10 years now, ever since I saw the Edward Petherbridge/Harriet Walter BBC series. I have been DESPERATELY looking for a copy of the series ever since. Please can anyone help?

My favourite DLS is unquestionably Gaudy Night, but I love Murder Must Advertise and Uncle Meleager's Will.

What is this Thrones thing? I know nothing about it.

Nice talking to you all!

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (77 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / Dorothy L. Sayers

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: