Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  /

Dorothy L. Sayers

Dorothy L. Sayers Books

Find Books by:
In Association with Amazon.com

MysteryBookstore.com, in association with Amazon.com, offers books picks by this author and many more.
• Browse authors and genres
• Any book bought supports MysteryNet.com-- save up to 40%
A classic author from the golden era of mysteries, Dorothy L. Sayers is best known for her series featuring nobleman-detective Lord Peter Wimsey.

For more about Dorothy Sayers, read the profile in Dorothy L. Sayers Profile at the Mystery Time Line.

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages More Messages (43 previous messages)
Yvonne Schumacher Strejcek - 11:13am Jul 12, 1999 PST(#44 of 118)

Urgently needed info: Lord Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane begin their courtship in Strong Poison. Lord Peter had previously appeared in other Sayers books. But what about Harriet Vane? Does anyone know when she made her first Sayers appearance? Please e-mail me directly, a.s.a.p., as well as posting here. Thanks very much. yvonne-s@audioeditions.com

M Riggs - 09:45am Jul 13, 1999 PST(#45 of 118)

Kerry, First, so sorry about mistyping your name (I guess I had “Kelly” on the brain!).

The Ian Carmichael series ran on PBS’s Masterpiece Theatre in the late seventies, if my memory serves me. They were originally made between 1972 and 1975 and included “The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club,” “Clouds of Witness,” “Murder Must Advertise,” “The Nine Tailors,” and “Five Red Herrings”.

I think both series are equally good, but for my taste, Edward Petherbridge will be the quintessential Lord Peter.

I’ll be happy to join you to petition BBC for release of whichever series, although to my information the Dorothy Sayers Society in the UK have already been doing that (perhaps that’s why the series is finally being released?).

TTFN.

Kerry Elkins - 05:57pm Jul 13, 1999 PST(#46 of 118)

Dear M

Thanks for the info. I'm actually in Britain, so perhaps I'll get in touch with the DLS society direct - is there an address somewhere on this site?

2nd - forgive my ignorance - is PBS a US channel, and did the Ian Carmichael series also air in England? If it went out in the early 70s that would explain why I didn't see it - I was busy being born!

Yvonne - to the best of my knowledge, Strong Poison is Harriet's first appearance. Obviously she also crops up in Have His Carcase, Gaudy Night, Busman's Honeymoon and a couple of shorts, but the events described therein all happen after she has met Peter, which happens in SP. Hope this is some use.

Bye, all.

M Riggs - 01:17pm Jul 14, 1999 PST(#47 of 118)

Kerry,

All right, rub salt in the wound….

The Carmichael series did run in the UK before it ran in the US. PBS (Public Broadcasting Station) is our “educational” station, and often runs British programming.

At any rate, I have some good news and some bad news:

Bad news first—the videos available in the US and Canada are prepared in the NTSC format; it is incompatible to the PAL format used in the UK and elsewhere in Europe. (Obviously I saw your correspondence under the LPW folder, so I thought I’d respond to it here.) It is my understanding that converting NTSC formats to PAL formats can be very expensive unless you are replicating very large (1000s) quantities.

Now the good news: The boxed set is a single story, Clouds of Witness, starring Ian Carmichael. It contains 5 cassettes. It is available through Amazon.com or through Critics’ Choice Video 1-800-367-7765.

So far no news regarding the other stories in the Carmichael series or the Petherbridge series. That’s all I have for now. TTFN.

Diva - 07:15pm Jul 21, 1999 PST(#48 of 118)
look famous, be legendary, appear complex, act easy, radiate presence, travel light, seem a dream, prove real

I had read a couple of the books before I saw the series with Lord Peter and Harriet (is that the Petherbridge series?)

My favourites are Murder Must Advertise and Gaudy Night, but I enjoy all of them - just had 3 weeks hols and reread the whole series including short stories. I particularly like where Harriet and Peter are discussing how much they have changed in Gaudy Night (thoughout the novel and at the end) - I think I fell in love with him when I first read that book at 17!

Currently I am playing a Call of Cthulhu roleplaying campaign with friends - it is set in the 1920s, and the setting is based on the works of HP Lovecraft. I am actually playing Harriet Vane as a novelist and investigator / detective (I adore her too), set just after the events of Strong Poison, although it was moved forward to 1921 to fit in with the time period. Unfortunately none of the others have read any DLS, so I have mentioned PDBW as someone who helped to find the real murder, and had to leave it at that. But I have 6 or so years of game time for someone to play him! I'm trying to get the others to read the books. But she is a fab character to play, and fits in well with the setting.

others are playing characters based on Tommy and Tuppence from Partners in Crime, we have consulted M. Poirot a couple of times, and have deal with Inspectors Lestrade and Gregson at Scotland Yard . . .

Cyndi Shephard - 01:29pm Jul 23, 1999 PST(#49 of 118)

Dorothy Sayers is one of my favorite authors, mystery- or non-mystery, ever. Lord Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane managed to conduct one of the most intelligent and sympathetic love affairs in fiction, all the while solving crime. How cool is that?

Dee Ulm - 12:24pm Jul 25, 1999 PST(#50 of 118)

I must admit of all the mystery sleuths, Peter Wimsey is my favorite!!! My first DS was Gaudy Night and that did it for me! I was hooked. And to think I picked it up cause nothing else struck my fancy that day. I just liked the title!

Diva: Sounds like fun. I sing in the local Opera Co. here but to play a character with whom you are so familar with must be quite wonderful!

Wasn't there a girl on the TV show "Promised Land" who was a DS nut? Dressed like she was from that era and everything?

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (68 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / Dorothy L. Sayers

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: