Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  /

Dorothy L. Sayers

Dorothy L. Sayers Books

Find Books by:
In Association with Amazon.com

MysteryBookstore.com, in association with Amazon.com, offers books picks by this author and many more.
• Browse authors and genres
• Any book bought supports MysteryNet.com-- save up to 40%
A classic author from the golden era of mysteries, Dorothy L. Sayers is best known for her series featuring nobleman-detective Lord Peter Wimsey.

For more about Dorothy Sayers, read the profile in Dorothy L. Sayers Profile at the Mystery Time Line.

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages More Messages (63 previous messages)
Ove Thomsen - 04:44am Oct 28, 1999 PST(#64 of 118)

I simply must let out some steam regarding Ian Carmichael. I do belive he is absolutely the worst person to try to portrait Lord Peter. He is simply to stout, to say it nice and he was too old. He conflicts totally with the image forming whilst reading the books. Secondly, but that must include the director of the series too, he is making Lord Peter look to much like a fool, which he isn't. I do believe that he is as badly casted as were Peter Ustinov as Hercule Poirot and Margareth Rutherford as miss Marple. Why doesn't someone make a new dramatising with a appropiate actor.

Benita Morris - 03:08pm Nov 1, 1999 PST(#65 of 118)

Ove Thomsen

I would agree that Ian Carmichael is not the ideal Peter Wimsey, but he wasn't a total wash. I believe the "fool" aspect shows up for two resons: Carmichael was a well known comedy actor in British movies; and in the early Wimsey books there was a hint of the fool as a disguise to mask his true emotions. I much preferred the actor who played Wimsey in Gaudy Night (Petherbridge?) as coming closer to the descriptions in the books. There is a sort of similarity in character between Wimsey and Albert Campion in Margery Allingham's books, I think.

Ove Thomsen - 12:03am Nov 4, 1999 PST(#66 of 118)

Benita Morris

I have never seen Petherbridge so i can't comment on him, but i fully agree that Carmichael is typecasted as the typical "not-to bright-English-upper-class". It is funny that you should mention Campion because actually Peter Davidson would be a perfect Peter Wimsey, but perhaps some day?

Chung-we-i Yu - 06:33am Nov 21, 1999 PST(#67 of 118)

Hello,everyone,

I'm a new boy on novels. Out of my poor English, I can't figure out how to decrypt the message Lord Peter met.(with a seq. of key:787654....) It really stops my reading!:-(

Diva - 08:18pm Nov 21, 1999 PST(#68 of 118)
look famous, be legendary, appear complex, act easy, radiate presence, travel light, seem a dream, prove real

which story is it in? Can't recall it offhand.

Elaine L. Larson Wickstrom - 03:52pm Nov 24, 1999 PST(#69 of 118)

Hello, DLS fans-- I'm looking for photos of Sayers online-- can someone give me some sites to choose from? I've found a couple but am not very adept at surfing the web, and could use some hints. Send mail to my stickley@ibm.net address.... thanks so much, and long may Dorothy reign!

p.s. Carmichael was a tad too stout, but looked intelligent underneath his foppery-- and he had the 'silly-ass-about-town' banter that one gets from the earlier novels (Whose Body, Clouds of Witness, et al) completely down pat. Petherbridge may have *looked* more the part, but... bloody hell, what a fop he is! Would any woman like Harriet find this guy in the least attractive? he looks like you could blow him over with a whistle. Paul Delagardie's statements regarding Peter's prowess are completely false, if P-p-pp-Petherbridge is our model. Sensitivity, dear reader, can be taken to a ludicrous extreme :). ok, thanks for your input-- Elaine L. Larson Wickstrom

elsbet - 03:07pm Dec 7, 1999 PST(#70 of 118)

Hi you all, it's really nice to "meet" you fellow-fans of Lord Peter Whimsy. Somebody some 40 posts ago asked about Hangman's Holiday. That's a collection of short stories, it includes: The Image in the Mirror The Incredible Elopement of Lord Peter Whimsey The Queen's Square The Necklace of Pearls The Poisoned Dow '08 Sleuths on the Scent Murder in the Morning One Too Many Murder at Pentecost Maher-shalal-hashbaz The Man Who Knew How The Fountain Plays

The first four have Lord Peter as a detective, then 5 Montegue Egg stories, the other don't have a familiar sleuth.

I particularly liked The incredible elopement and The queen's square.

stikeforce - 05:46pm Dec 7, 1999 PST(#71 of 118)
"It's a cult... they worship blue oysters"... MST3K 'The Final Sacrifice'

about the talk on actors. i always wished that leslie howard would have portrayed lord peter. oh yeah, i finally got to read thrones,dominations. it was actually pretty good. and this is from someone who canNOT abide the non-conan-doyle holmes.

Patrick Bode - 10:14am Jan 15, 2000 PST(#72 of 118)

I'm a big fan of Dorothy L. Sayers and the next book I would like to read is Clouds of Witness but I don't know exactly what it is about. So could anybody sent me a good summary of that book. That would be very very nice. Thanks webmaster@patrickbode.de

stikeforce - 10:50am Feb 28, 2000 PST(#73 of 118)
"It's a cult... they worship blue oysters"... MST3K 'The Final Sacrifice'

read it. don't worry about what it is about. is that not the point after all? do YOU like it?!?!? what can we say to make one read a book?

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (45 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / Dorothy L. Sayers

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: