Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  /

Dorothy L. Sayers

Dorothy L. Sayers Books

Find Books by:
In Association with Amazon.com

MysteryBookstore.com, in association with Amazon.com, offers books picks by this author and many more.
• Browse authors and genres
• Any book bought supports MysteryNet.com-- save up to 40%
A classic author from the golden era of mysteries, Dorothy L. Sayers is best known for her series featuring nobleman-detective Lord Peter Wimsey.

For more about Dorothy Sayers, read the profile in Dorothy L. Sayers Profile at the Mystery Time Line.

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages More Messages (7 previous messages)
Gail Goldoor - 10:58pm Jul 17, 1998 PST(#8 of 118)

Yes, you can be in love with Peter, Peace, but get in line. Romances with fictional characters are so much more manageable. Sayers is probably my all time favorite mystery writer because she is so literate and because of Peter, of course. One of my favorites is The Nine Tailors. The information about campanology (the art of bell ringing) was intriguing, not too mention esoteric. I mean, who could know so much about bell ringing and make it an integral part of a mystery but Sayers, a scholar first. Anyway, now I am reading Thrones, Dominations supposedly begun by Sayers and finished by Jill Paton Walsh, with whom I'm unfamiliar. Just started it but am thinking it doesn't have much punch or the intricate detail (and I'm not talking about setting) that Sayers brought to her work. That probably has alot to do with the fact that Sayers didn't really write this. But I just had to read this book, if for no other reason than a further experience with Peter, pronounced Pee-tuh.

John Daniel Collins - 09:59am Jul 29, 1998 PST(#9 of 118)

Pee-tuh's dandy, but Harriet Vane Wimsey rules. Harriet and the Dowager Duchess--especially her diary--also must give us great insight into the mind of Sayers herself, no?

Ross Moritz - 02:26am Aug 9, 1998 PST(#10 of 118)

Lord Peter was an enjoyable sleuth to read, but I found Harriet Vane a royal pain. The books with her seemed to drag. I enjoyed them, but not as much as the ones where his Lordship worked without her. I own all of the books, and am just starting to re-read them. I cannot wait to rediscover this remarkable detective.

Edie - 08:50pm Aug 27, 1998 PST(#11 of 118)

After watching the PBS Series on Lord Peter I had to read the books - I've enjoy all of them - It would be fun to see more of the books on TV - The British know how to do them right - Edie

Kym Matsen - 08:38am Aug 29, 1998 PST(#12 of 118)

I am a little in love with Lord Peter Death Bredon Wimsey myself. I think my favourite books must be Murder Must Advertise and Busman's Holiday. Strong Poison I found dragged a little. I agree the the Dowager Duchess is marvellous and Bunter is a pearl beyond price. I am missing about four of D.L. Sayer's books but am always on the lookout. Here in Australia we had the Episodic versions of the books on tv about seven or eight years ago. I have not seen them since. Does anyone know if they are available on video?

tina - 09:49pm Aug 28, 1998 PST(#13 of 118)

Hooray! Someone else here. I only saw one or two of the TV shows, but since I saw them after reading the books, no one "looked right" (not as I had pictured them).

Bev - 07:06pm Aug 30, 1998 PST(#14 of 118)

Hi! I also love the Doroth L Sayers novels. Lord Peter is an absolute dream. My favorites are Strong Poison where he and Harriet Vane meet and Gaudy Night where she finally says yes. I also like the academic atmosphere of the murders and mischief in Gaudy Night....By the way if you're looking for others who like these books there is another discussion in the section called famous characters and authors.

tina - 05:48pm Sep 3, 1998 PST(#15 of 118)

I love Gaudy Night and also the one where they go on their honeymoon (I think Busman's Holiday or something like that). I read that The Nine Tailors was considered one of her best but it was not my favorite. Maybe I just read it over too long a time period.

Peri lyons - 05:20pm Sep 7, 1998 PST(#16 of 118)

Dorothy Sayers is one of the few authors I can-and do-read more than once. My book preferences change with my mood: "Murder Must Advertise" for sheer playful fun- "Busman's Honeymoon" for a romance that is both dignified and passionate; "Gaudy Night" for both a feeling a womanly solidarity and to fulfill my secret "Going to Oxford" fantasies...

Of course Sayers ws in love with Peter Wimsey. That's why she inserted herself in the form of Harriet Vane, into the later books: I think she could no longer restrain herself. Besides, it must be rather galling to create a charater such as Lord Peter-dashing, erudite, moral, protofeminist, aristocratic and rich- and suddenly have these thousands of strange women (the readers) feel they have a perfect right to his affections. I think she created Harriet as a rather proprietary gesture. Kym,if the television series exists on video, it would be through the BBC catalog. I think I have one somewhere-if they have the videos, I'll re-post.

Micaela Baranello - 11:06am Sep 13, 1998 PST(#17 of 118)

Hi! I'm a fan, too. I've read almost all of the Lord Peter books- "Have His Carcase" and "The Nine Tailors" yet to go. If anyone has read "A Letter of Mary" by Laurie King, tell me- is that really Peter Wimsey at that party, or am I wrong? My personal favorite is "Murder Must Advertise," but I like them all. Micaela

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (101 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / Dorothy L. Sayers

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: