•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Books & Authors  /

Changes after hitting the best seller lists

I would like to know if there is anyone else who feels cheated when an author (the two most recent that come to my mind are Grimes and P.D. James), writes a bunch of books with the same characters who you the reader come to think of as friends and then the author finally hits the best seller list and their books become way too long and serious. That is not to say the books aren't good they just lose their original flavor. Yes I understand from a writer's point of view the need to do this but I don't think it is fair to the reader base they built on the way up.

Dragon Slayer - 12:51pm Oct 27, 1997 PST(#1 of 28)
A Knight of the Old Code

I agree with you to some extent. I think that alot of these changes stem from pressure to produce new books, maybe a result of contracts with publishers. I found that Patricia Cornwell's "Hornet's Nest" was a perfect example of this. the book as entertaining but it lacked the Umph! that her Kay Scarpetta books have.

Barbara Wrobel - 10:43pm Oct 27, 1997 PST(#2 of 28)

Let's face it-- Patricia Cornwell bit off more then she could chew with "A Hornet's Nest". Too many subplots and characters left this reader just thinking what was the point of it all? Where was this plot going when I had Such little feelings or understanding aboout them? Yes, stick to what you are used to--forensic medicine-- I just think you were trying to say too much in this book!!!

Barbara Wale - 09:26pm Nov 11, 1997 PST(#3 of 28)

Sorry to the person complaining about Dorothy Sayers, but as but as she died in the late 40's, don't expect any improvement in her books.

Fran Hinkel - 10:59am Nov 12, 1997 PST(#4 of 28)
You can check out anytime you like...but you can never leave!

Barbara

Hi. I realize she's dead. My question had to do with the content of the book I am currently trying to muddle through and how it compares to some of her others. E.g., are ALL of her books inundated with very annoying French sentences that I have no idea what she's saying? I thought her style was much like Christie's but, so far, I have found Christie to be much more readable. Christie also uses French in her Poirot books, but at least I can usually figure out the meaning! Thanks for your response.

Fran 8-)

Barbara Wale - 07:46pm Nov 13, 1997 PST(#5 of 28)

Fran Sorry,didn't mean to insult you. Yes, all Dorothy L's books are loaded with both French and Latin phrases, as well as references to ancient and arcane books long out of print. She was the first woman to receive a degree from Oxford and her Lord Peter is also terribly well educated ,multi-lingual and intelligent.As both French & Latin were compulsory when I was in school (about 100 yrs ago) I have a small advantage. Trust me, knowledge of either is not required. Just skip those bits, she was showing off! Suggest you try "Murder Must Advertise", humourous and set in a work enviroment, French & Latin not required.

Fran Hinkel - 11:08am Nov 14, 1997 PST(#6 of 28)
You can check out anytime you like...but you can never leave!

Barbara,

Hi. You didn't insult me. I can't find my original post re this subject, but am currently reading Busman's Honeymoon. I was, at first, put off by what I called the "persnicketiness" of her writing, but I find that the further I get into the story, it's not bothering me as much. I do feel, though, that she is showing off with her literary references (Milton, Shakespeare, etc.) and I'm not finding it very endearing. Still, I shall endure!

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll give it a try.

Fran 8-)

Liz Links - 07:37am Dec 11, 1997 PST(#7 of 28)
Brisbane, Australia

I too was put off by a change in PC's books. I haven't tried "Hornet's Nest" because the last one I read was very complicated with a lot of technical detail about naval equipment. I can't remember what it was called. I'll probably give it a try. I even find her computer detail rather complicated, but I really enjoyed her first books, more forensic information and good meaty stories. So far I've always enjoyed Mary Higgins Clarke.

Joan Stitz - 10:58pm Jan 18, 1998 PST(#8 of 28)

I don't know if I can say I feel cheated but I agree that some of my favorites are getting too serious/deep. I like to know all about the characters lives - as you say they become like friends but the last Eliz. George book I had trouble finishing. One of the reasons I read series books is because I like following the lives of the characters. But lets still have a good mystery too. The mystery is becoming secondary to their lives.

Nancy Howard - 09:40pm Jan 24, 1998 PST(#9 of 28)

I thought I was lazy because I had to check out Elizabeth George's latest 3 times from the library before I could finish it. I like getting into the characters as well as the story, but sometimes the story is too deep or characters are too intense. Some plot circumstances are too contrived, could be resolved with a little common sense, which E. George's characters lack.

Stephanie A. Hochuli - 06:25pm Feb 22, 1998 PST(#10 of 28)

Hornets Nest truly bothered me. I like female authors and protagonists, but she was just plain male bashing and I dont see the point. Elizabeth George has always been extremely complicated. I do love her stuff and this last one is tremendous. I just got past Lottie and feel bereft at the moment. What a neat little girl.

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (18 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Books & Authors  / Changes after hitting the best seller lists

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: