Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Games & Puzzles  / Mystery Parties  /

Reviews of "How to Host a Murder" and "How to Host a Teen Mystery"

Ivan Owen - 07:18pm Aug 1, 2000 PST
"Writing is a spontaneous adveture, not a planned trip"

This area is for all you mystery lovers to write in on how you felt about the "How to Host a Murder" or "How to Host a Teen Mystery" that you have hosted. Tell what you liked and what you didn't like.... better yet, tell us your opinion on the one you hosted. REMEMBER TO TELL WHICH ONE YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!!!!

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages More Messages (5 previous messages)
sassi - 03:03pm Aug 19, 2002 PST(#6 of 25)
I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers.

HI!

I write and sell murder mystery parties. I've sold a few and only one has been actually ran....it was a teen party for a 17 year old's birthday. The mystery was based on a sorority (college) party and involved 8 deaths. There were 14 characters involved.

Since this was a "gift" to my best friend's daughter, I was able to really get the low down on how it went over. The daughter invited 14 people (plus extras in case others didn't show) and many pulled out at the last moment - hadn't done this before and got cold feet. Only 8 people showed. They doubled up the characters and apparently it went over really well.

They followed all the directives in the script and staged the deaths beautifully. The first death had one error - the person directed to find the dead person in the bathroom forgot! So the dead person rose up **laughing** yelled "hey guys I'm dead here" and returned to her death.

I went up after it was over - all adults had been banned from the party. **laughing** The kids were so "high" on energy and fun, it was awesome! They couldn't stop talking and were still in costume. They informed me that it was hard enough that they had to really think ..... and no one came up with the correct motive, although one came up with the correct murderer. No one figured out what were natural deaths and what were the murders - they got them confused. Said the logic went very smooth in the game - they simply missed the "obvious" clues. The hostess and parents set up a finger-food buffet table and everyone was filled to the gills with muchies. Overall it was very successfull and the ones who didn't show were kicking themselves the next day!

I hope to write some more teen parties next year. This one was really fun to create.

Waterlillie16 - 08:27am Oct 21, 2002 PST(#7 of 25)

I'm having a party for my birthday and i want to know how to host a murder party and some ideas for this party ok. Waterlillie16

Jenner - 07:41am Oct 25, 2002 PST(#8 of 25)
A friend threatened to jump off a cliff, but I knew it was just a bluff. ;)

Hi Waterlillie,

The easiest way is to buy a ready-made mystery party (see sponsor links to the right). Then invite the number of people that the mystery is set for (it'll say on the box). Open the box and assign each person a character. If you do this ahead of time, people can dress up like their character.

If you want to get creative, you could write your own mystery, but someone else will have to give you advice on that.

sassi - 11:28am Oct 25, 2002 PST(#9 of 25)
I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers.

Waterlilie,

Jenner gave you good advice - best thing is to buy a pre-made mystery party. If you plan to write one, it does take time and as Jenner recommended, you'd need to do it with someone.

Good luck!

Rachel Messenger - 03:11pm Feb 9, 2003 PST(#10 of 25)

I've only played one of the games. It wasnt a party or anything, just a group gathering. It was a lot of fun and we really want to do a big event of it once a month. All the games look like so much fun. The game I played was How to Host a Murder's Mystery Tour Bus or something close to that. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a good game to have an all-out dinner, costume event? Thank you.

Dee Wilson - 02:50pm Mar 2, 2003 PST(#11 of 25)

Hi! I have never hosted a mystery party before and would like to read one before actually purchasing one. Are there any examples online? I have a group of Girl Scouts who would probably love this. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

sassi - 10:04am Mar 6, 2003 PST(#12 of 25)

Hello Dee,

The problem with reading a home MP is that you'd have all the answers before you came to the end of it. So, generally, they do not have them on-line for viewing.

Basically the boxed ones in stores cater to smaller parties and to do larger ones, like with the Girl Scouts, you need to have it special made or adapt a boxed one.

Although I might be wrong...but the only ones I've seen in the store are parties of 8 and under.

There are companies (in cities) which cater to larger groups and people ~like myself~ who write mp's for larger groups.

I know, this isn't much help. I'm running out the door as I write, so it's sparse. Any specific questions you might have? Might be able to answer them here for you. =o)

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (13 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Games & Puzzles  / Mystery Parties  / Reviews of "How to Host a Murder" and "How to Host a Teen Mystery"

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: