Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Games & Puzzles  / Mystery Parties  /

Reviews of "How to Host a Murder" and "How to Host a Teen Mystery"

Ivan Owen - 07:18pm Aug 1, 2000 PST
"Writing is a spontaneous adveture, not a planned trip"

This area is for all you mystery lovers to write in on how you felt about the "How to Host a Murder" or "How to Host a Teen Mystery" that you have hosted. Tell what you liked and what you didn't like.... better yet, tell us your opinion on the one you hosted. REMEMBER TO TELL WHICH ONE YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!!!!

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages More Messages (11 previous messages)
sassi - 10:04am Mar 6, 2003 PST(#12 of 25)
I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers.

Hello Dee,

The problem with reading a home MP is that you'd have all the answers before you came to the end of it. So, generally, they do not have them on-line for viewing.

Basically the boxed ones in stores cater to smaller parties and to do larger ones, like with the Girl Scouts, you need to have it special made or adapt a boxed one.

Although I might be wrong...but the only ones I've seen in the store are parties of 8 and under.

There are companies (in cities) which cater to larger groups and people ~like myself~ who write mp's for larger groups.

I know, this isn't much help. I'm running out the door as I write, so it's sparse. Any specific questions you might have? Might be able to answer them here for you. =o)

Linda G - 06:41pm Sep 20, 2003 PST(#13 of 25)

Sassi (or anyone with experience writing a mystery party):

I'm a GS leader working with girls grades 6-12. At our last meeting the group I was working with wanted to host a mystery party for our troop (could be for 20-25 girls). I think they (or a couple of them) might want to write their own. This would be 5-6 girls creating something for the whole troop to do, probably in the spring.

I started surfing the net looking for a 'game template' or an example of the materials they would need to create. That's how I found MysteryNet. From exploring this site, I gather we need a plot outline, cast of characters, clues (and evidence?).

Do you know of (free) sample game materials, so I can share with them a possible format? Also, do you have any ideas about how I might learn from others' experiences so I can help the girls make reasonable choices to fit the time they have available to prepare their mystery party?

They are SO enthusiastic--I'd like to help them make this idea a reality!

Thanks!

sassi - 10:17pm Sep 30, 2003 PST(#14 of 25)
I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers.

Hello Linda,

As far as I know there isn't a game template to follow. If you are interested, you can email me. My email addy is in my profile. I was a Brownie leader, so have a special spot for girls in Scouts. :)

PookyDragon - 02:29pm Nov 17, 2003 PST(#15 of 25)
Thwart. Thwart thwart thwart thwart thwart. Wow, say a word enough times and it really sounds silly.

Linda- I worked with a friend via internet to make a mystery party for this site. I went back and started to write a second one, making a template for future ones along the way. It's really not too difficult to write one as long as you can get organized and have a lot of creativity. Hosting one is a little trickier (well, for me it was, because I had a set idea of how I wanted it to go, and it kept deviating, so I had to improvise a lot to get it back on track, LOL.) If you want to email me I'd be happy to help also. :)

Sue Lewis - 06:49pm Dec 8, 2003 PST(#16 of 25)

I would like to plan a mystery party for a group of 20 to 35 people. Not all of them wish to play a part. Is there a game or a way to adapt a game so a few could play a part and others who do not wish to play parts could solve the mystery?

Robin Collins - 09:08am Jan 19, 2004 PST(#17 of 25)

My husband and I have done the parties before and had great fun. We just bought a used How to Host a Murder #12, "The Good, the Bad and the Guilty" from a thrift store, but it is missing the map. If someone would be willing to scan the map for us, we would appreciate it -- so we will have a complete game. Thanks in advance!

Stephen Giles - 04:18pm Jan 27, 2004 PST(#18 of 25)

I'm planning on hosting a murder. However, I have never done this before nor have any of the people who will be invited. I don't own a game yet. I can't decide on which one to try. I'm also concerned about how it will go. I find it hard to believe that all I have to do if buy the game and the party will turn out fine. Can anyone give me tips or advice for hosting a murder?

scarlet - 10:46am Jan 30, 2004 PST(#19 of 25)
Some days I just want to be a MISSING PERSON

If you get a prepackaged mystery you will be fine. I suggest getting it with a theme you can work with. I usually fix food to fit with the theme or location to help with atmosphere and invite the players to atleast wear one item to put them in character. And above all else, remember it is for fun, so any flubs or goofs are something to enjoy. Perhaps a camcorder to 'catch' the play as it moves along, you can play it back later or even another time like a movie premire and have dinner or bowls of snacks and sodas like a theatre showing.

I have done many of them and have had a blast every time.

scarlet

good luck

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (6 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Games & Puzzles  / Mystery Parties  / Reviews of "How to Host a Murder" and "How to Host a Teen Mystery"

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: