Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Games & Puzzles  / Mystery Parties  /

Reviews of "How to Host a Murder" and "How to Host a Teen Mystery"

Ivan Owen - 07:18pm Aug 1, 2000 PST
"Writing is a spontaneous adveture, not a planned trip"

This area is for all you mystery lovers to write in on how you felt about the "How to Host a Murder" or "How to Host a Teen Mystery" that you have hosted. Tell what you liked and what you didn't like.... better yet, tell us your opinion on the one you hosted. REMEMBER TO TELL WHICH ONE YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!!!!

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages More Messages (16 previous messages)
Robin Collins - 09:08am Jan 19, 2004 PST(#17 of 25)

My husband and I have done the parties before and had great fun. We just bought a used How to Host a Murder #12, "The Good, the Bad and the Guilty" from a thrift store, but it is missing the map. If someone would be willing to scan the map for us, we would appreciate it -- so we will have a complete game. Thanks in advance!

Stephen Giles - 04:18pm Jan 27, 2004 PST(#18 of 25)

I'm planning on hosting a murder. However, I have never done this before nor have any of the people who will be invited. I don't own a game yet. I can't decide on which one to try. I'm also concerned about how it will go. I find it hard to believe that all I have to do if buy the game and the party will turn out fine. Can anyone give me tips or advice for hosting a murder?

scarlet - 10:46am Jan 30, 2004 PST(#19 of 25)
Some days I just want to be a MISSING PERSON

If you get a prepackaged mystery you will be fine. I suggest getting it with a theme you can work with. I usually fix food to fit with the theme or location to help with atmosphere and invite the players to atleast wear one item to put them in character. And above all else, remember it is for fun, so any flubs or goofs are something to enjoy. Perhaps a camcorder to 'catch' the play as it moves along, you can play it back later or even another time like a movie premire and have dinner or bowls of snacks and sodas like a theatre showing.

I have done many of them and have had a blast every time.

scarlet

good luck

Katherine Morgan - 09:40pm Aug 28, 2004 PST(#20 of 25)

I was very disappointed in "The Chicago Caper". I hosted the party and have done others, but I and my friends all agreed that it was not a very good one. First, it didn't reveal who the murderer was on part four, and no one could figure out who murdered Hal Cappone when normally at least one if not myself can figure out "who dun it". It was still a good game and everyone had a lot of fun. I just think that they should re-address their reveals & conceals and at least let the conceals be complete.

OcnBlues - 07:32pm Sep 30, 2004 PST(#21 of 25)

Hi Kat. We just did the Chicago Caper and actually it does reveal who dun it. The last suspect read reveals the killer. Email me if you want to know.

For the party we found a club on the net called the 1920's club and picked a martini from their list of club specialties to help with the ambiance -- the Chicago Blues. Well, with a few Chicago Blues under our belts we were thoroughly confused by all the crates in evidence. I narrowed the suspects to two, tossed a coin, and lost. We did have one participant -- the newbie -- correctly accuse the killer.

I'd been used to the Murder A La Carte mysteries so I inadvertently played one of the clues before it's time but it made no impact on the game whatsoever.

I'd played "The Watersdown Affair" years ago and remember having no doubt about who the killer was. I think 3 people were so sure.

For this mystery, I will agree that it left a lot of people scratching their head.

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (4 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Games & Puzzles  / Mystery Parties  / Reviews of "How to Host a Murder" and "How to Host a Teen Mystery"

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: