Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / Sherlock Holmes  /

Sherlock Holmes

Sherlock Holmes Books

Find Books by:
In Association with Amazon.com

MysteryBookstore.com, in association with Amazon.com, offers books picks by this author and many more.
• Browse authors and genres
• Any book bought supports MysteryNet.com-- save up to 40%

What is your favorite Sherlock Holmes story and why? Which characters do you find most interesting? Why do people still love Sherlock Holmes today?

Derek - 03:05pm Jul 22, 1997 PST(#1 of 997)

If anybody has anything to say about how they would discuss Sherlock Holmes post a message in Short Stories or here!

Leonitia Broadney - 07:21pm Jul 22, 1997 PST(#2 of 997)

I love Sherlock holmes I think his mysteries are the best mysteries

Don Taylor - 05:25am Jul 23, 1997 PST(#3 of 997)

Which are your favourite Holme's stories and why

Derek - 08:09pm Jul 23, 1997 PST(#4 of 997)

My favorite Sherlock Holmes story would have to be A Study In Scarlett! I would say because it involves not only the United States but that's where Dr. Watson meets Holmes! I have some other favorites, but let's hear yours!

Derek - 06:04pm Jul 24, 1997 PST(#5 of 997)

Does anybody have a favorite actor that could protray Sherlock Holmes, since Jeremy Brett is no longer with us? Mine would be Pierce Brosnan.

Don Taylor - 09:28am Jul 25, 1997 PST(#6 of 997)

The Engineer's Thumb is a great story, as are Silver Blaze, The Speckled Band and The Naval Treaty.

Brenda Barrow - 12:09am Jul 28, 1997 PST(#7 of 997)

There is an active Sherlock Holmes society in Calgary that meets once a momth to discuss the stories and much else. This group has ben in existance for several years and has not exhausted the cannon.

Kathleen Larson - 12:16am Jul 28, 1997 PST(#8 of 997)

So far, I like The Speckled Band, The Hounds Of The Baskervilles, A Scandal In Bohemia, and The Priory School.

Luv, Kathleen

Moraya Rodin - 05:36pm Jul 28, 1997 PST(#9 of 997)

How about Jeremy Irons to portray Holmes? I like Pierce Brosnan, but isn't he too pretty?

Derek - 09:43pm Jul 28, 1997 PST(#10 of 997)

How about Roger Moore? What do you think about the Adventure of the Empty House?

Don Taylor - 10:57am Jul 29, 1997 PST(#11 of 997)

Of those suggested so far, Jeremy Irons is the only actor capable of understanding such an inticate role.Moore is too old....don't forget that Holmes is quite young, and athletic in most of his stories.

The empty house is a good story...a great device to return Holmes, a wonderful example of his skills in the art of disguise and a great villain in the form of Sebastian Moran

Britta Larsson - 03:02pm Jul 29, 1997 PST(#12 of 997)

My friend, Ted has a couple of good points: Our hypothetical Holmes actor may not wish to portray him, as the actor then runs the risk of being identified as Holmes (i.e. Basil Rathbone) rather thean as an actor. Also - Dr. Watson is usually portrayed as being older than Holmes when they were approximately the same age.

We were thinking of Hugh Grant as Holmes, but because Holmes has a dark side, Grant might make a better Watson. Agreed - whomever would have to be an accomplished actor.

Don Taylor - 07:23pm Jul 29, 1997 PST(#13 of 997)

What we are all doing is thinking of established film stars. If there were to be new production of Holmes, the British would find a virtual unbknown, touring with rep theatres who would be perfect....remember they don't have a star sytem over there and would,not be tempted to fit the role into a particular famous actor.

Barbara Klein - 11:14pm Aug 2, 1997 PST(#14 of 997)

I quite agree with Don. Some local English actor would be quite nice. My favorite Holmes story is the one about the only Lady who outfoxed him. He called her the woman. I can't remember the name of that story. Could somebody help?

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (983 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / Sherlock Holmes  / Sherlock Holmes

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: