Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  /

Raymond Chandler

Raymond Chandler Books

Find Books by:
In Association with Amazon.com

MysteryBookstore.com, in association with Amazon.com, offers books picks by this author and many more.
• Browse authors and genres
• Any book bought supports MysteryNet.com-- save up to 40%
In 1939, his first novel, The Big Sleep, was published. He went on to write six more novels, many of which were made into movies. He also wrote original screenplays, such as Double Indemnity (1944) and Strangers on a Train (1951).

Born out of the tradition of Hammett and James M. Cain, Chandler's work and his protagonist Philip Marlowe stand as one of the landmarks of American literature.

Please add to this discussion!

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages More Messages (18 previous messages)
Fran Hinkel - 11:53am Mar 16, 1999 PST(#19 of 79)
You can check out anytime you like...but you can never leave!

Hi Josephine

You might try posting your question HERE for some help.

Hugh Drummond - 07:40am May 8, 1999 PST(#20 of 79)
" I have a criminal mind... I see bad in everyone," (Mr. J.G. Reeder)

Josephine. Are you a millionaire? Do ytou have oodles of spare cash lying about? If not, avoid autographed copies. They cost the earth (unless the bookseller hasn't noticed that it's autographed. My brother found a book like that once). After all, what are you paying for? The book will be just another book. Unless it's like my first edition Wallace, where the endint is missing, so I had to buy a later edition. Seriously, unless you're really into collecting, avoid that sort of thing. Firsts can be better value for money. I can't tell you American prices, but provincial (outside London) British prices are usually about ten to twelve pounds. As for where to find one, ransack all second hand bookshops within a sensible travel-time.

HUD

John Zaphiriou - 04:28pm May 15, 1999 PST(#21 of 79)

I was contacted by a member and he ask me question about the writing today. And it got me thinking about Raymond Chandler and his writings. I would think based upon what Chandler said in his letters that he would be aghast at the shape-shifting bloat of mystery novel today. Nowadays, it all the rage to domesticate the PI to render him or her "ordinary" to show him\her wrestling with the spouse and the kids and mortage payment and dinner parties, but it does little for a genre that was chiseled on the margins, and whose best flatfoot would turn a jaded eye to the dominate culture rather than grapple for a toehold within it.

Hugh Drummond - 11:44am May 17, 1999 PST(#22 of 79)

What place have drudgery and unhappy marriages (of the hero) in the 'Modern Morality Play' (this is the phrase of the editors of the defunct Edgar Wallace Mystery magazine, not mine)? None. And I quite agree with Chandler's view of Smart society.

HUD

Linus Whittaker - 02:23pm Jun 4, 1999 PST(#23 of 79)

I know Raymond Chandler was the first person to put the phrase "You can't win 'em all," in print (at least he's credited for it.) Does anyone know who said it and in which book?

Hugh Drummond - 04:07am Jun 8, 1999 PST(#24 of 79)

Really? I thought it was Socrates.

HUD

Linus Whittaker - 04:41pm Jun 8, 1999 PST(#25 of 79)

I'm guessing this is a joke... but maybe it's not. So, Hugh-- 'fess up to the Greek philosophy joke you're making!

I read this in an old New Yorker article, where the author wrote, "As Raymond CHandler famously wrote, 'You can't win 'em all...'"

Hugh Drummond - 04:16am Jun 9, 1999 PST(#26 of 79)

It is a joke. Obviously, as a Greek, Socrates did not say 'You Can't win 'em all'. What he said was the equivalent, in Greek, in a philosophical way.

HUD

Violet Poulson - 11:43am Jun 11, 1999 PST(#27 of 79)

Answer to Linus W. question: I heard that Raymond Chandler was the first person to use and popularize the phrase "You can't win 'em all." Does anyone know who said it and in which book?"

So after a little legwork of my own, I found the answer to Linus' question in The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Proverbs: Raymond Chandler was the first person to use this phrase in The Long Goodbye, when Roger Wade says it to Edward Loring.

P Marlowe - 08:48pm Jun 28, 1999 PST(#28 of 79)
Glenview 7537 - Hollywood

I have a first edition copy of The Long Goodbye. Found by accident for 50 cents (in the 70's) at a Catholic school bazaar in Los Angeles, how apropos I say.

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (51 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / Raymond Chandler

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: