Buy through our affiliates:
•  Mystery Guild Book Club
•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Community Mystery Games  / MysteryNet Mystery Parties by Members  /

Comments and/or Suggestions

This folder is for general information and any questions that may arise for this section of MysteryNet.

If you have an idea for a mystery Party and would like to host please email me the rough outline and/or any information you have. I will contact any and all who send ideas.

Please no chit chat!!

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages More Messages (61 previous messages)
sassi - 12:54pm Nov 9, 2004 PST(#62 of 279)
I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers.

Laura, good points on being allowed to stretch .... as long as it plays within the storyline.

Personally I've had great hosts who allow me to stretch. Carrie went from a boring singer to a woman with multiple personalities and an abusive background. I've taken minor roles and played them to the hilt ... and just made sure that I didn't overshadow the major players.

The mps that I didn't enjoy, the hosts were more rigid (without any real explanation why) and the clues were very obscure. And in one mp, it was so rigid, that no one else even knew my character in the mp! I was totally on my own without any connections. Add in the fact that I posted in the evening, it made for a very boring mp. In fact, I became the queen of monologues with that mp. Thank goodness one other member was in my time zone (1 hr ahead) so we often managed to post together. But we had to create a whole world unto ourselves because his character didn't have any role in the mp either.

On that, my suggestion to hosts is ... when assigning a minor character, please make sure that character still has a role. It's very discouraging to play a character that has no connections to the mp. I'd rather be turned down for lack of characters than play another minor role that has no place, no point and no connections in a mp.

Chrebet - 01:01pm Nov 9, 2004 PST(#63 of 279)
Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. - Charles Schultz

Sassi in one of my situation's it wasn't even a gf/bf thing LOL well it wasn't when I stopped posting in the MP on my way home from work but that's about where it was by the time I signed back on.

I knew there were problems with the same people always posting together (I am definately in that group) so I made an effort to try and post with people I normally don't. My character (male) complimented a female character, LOL about food. I left work and when I got home I found my character was now shirtless and was just about in a relationship.

That along with many other things that have happened have kept me from posting with people unless I knew who they were. I have also avoided some people for the same reason. I knew no matter what character they were playing they would wind up in a relationship or go in a direction I didn't care for. So to not be dragged along I just never posted with them unless I had to.

Fran Hinkel - 03:45pm Nov 9, 2004 PST(#64 of 279)
You can check out anytime you like...but you can never leave!

So many people have so many different problems that I wonder if it is possible to get this off the ground.

I'm still taking mail and checking in here regularly for practical suggestions on ways to resolve the problems.

So far, the only concrete thing I've come up with is that more help is definitely needed here and there will have to be co-hosts or some other form of cooperation to take care of this part of the site.

I want to thank all those who have emailed me.

sassi - 06:26pm Nov 9, 2004 PST(#65 of 279)
I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers.

Chrebet, in my opinion, that's disrespectful to take someone else's character and change the situation as you described. If that had happened to me, I would also not want to participate.

I think that one concrete way to deal with these situations is clear "rules." Something that states very clear that no one can take another character and place that character into a situation - without the other player's permission.

Personally, I email the person, run the scenerio past the person - sometimes we have to change things, sort it out until it satisfies both - then go on the board and play.

Speaking of ... another concrete suggestion. We've had mps in the past where characters were killed off - while the mp was playing. We all went in knowing it could happen.

My suggestion is that when these types of mps are playing, the host would email the player (and cc: any relevant players connected with that character - meaning a daughter, husband etc) prior to killing off the character.

I played a mp like that one time and came in to find my character dead. I had no warning. What was worse, the players connected with my player had no warning. My character's daughter was so upset in real life, that the player almost left the mp. It definitely affected her playing in the MP - and not in a positive way.

It was sorted out off-site. I'd still like to suggest that with these types of MP, the host ensure that everyone directly affected be notified in email prior to the death.

You know its coming but it feels really *ugh* and disrespectful to come on site and find yourself dead. All I wanted was a little warning and all my character's daughter wanted was a little warning.

Just a little suggestion that would make playing more fun. :)

Chrebet - 07:01pm Nov 9, 2004 PST(#66 of 279)
Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. - Charles Schultz

Thanks for reminding me Sassi I wanted to post about the "rules"

Although I haven't played as long as a lot of people I remember when I started if people crossed lines like the "mp superpowers" of over hearing, seeing everything or always being in the right place at the right time or posting about a character that wasn't around was normally addressed. Either the host, fellow player or Scarlet would comment to the player and everything was fine. I know I was spoken to and I learned not to do it again.

It seems those rules aren't consistently enforced now. When I host I know I talk to players when rules are broken.

I really think the rules need to be enforced on a consistent basis. I think it will only help the MPs.

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (213 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Community Mystery Games  / MysteryNet Mystery Parties by Members  / Comments and/or Suggestions

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: