Buy through our affiliates:
•  Mystery Guild Book Club
•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Community Mystery Games  / MysteryNet Mystery Parties by Members  /

Comments and/or Suggestions

This folder is for general information and any questions that may arise for this section of MysteryNet.

If you have an idea for a mystery Party and would like to host please email me the rough outline and/or any information you have. I will contact any and all who send ideas.

Please no chit chat!!

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages More Messages (64 previous messages)
sassi - 06:26pm Nov 9, 2004 PST(#65 of 279)
I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers.

Chrebet, in my opinion, that's disrespectful to take someone else's character and change the situation as you described. If that had happened to me, I would also not want to participate.

I think that one concrete way to deal with these situations is clear "rules." Something that states very clear that no one can take another character and place that character into a situation - without the other player's permission.

Personally, I email the person, run the scenerio past the person - sometimes we have to change things, sort it out until it satisfies both - then go on the board and play.

Speaking of ... another concrete suggestion. We've had mps in the past where characters were killed off - while the mp was playing. We all went in knowing it could happen.

My suggestion is that when these types of mps are playing, the host would email the player (and cc: any relevant players connected with that character - meaning a daughter, husband etc) prior to killing off the character.

I played a mp like that one time and came in to find my character dead. I had no warning. What was worse, the players connected with my player had no warning. My character's daughter was so upset in real life, that the player almost left the mp. It definitely affected her playing in the MP - and not in a positive way.

It was sorted out off-site. I'd still like to suggest that with these types of MP, the host ensure that everyone directly affected be notified in email prior to the death.

You know its coming but it feels really *ugh* and disrespectful to come on site and find yourself dead. All I wanted was a little warning and all my character's daughter wanted was a little warning.

Just a little suggestion that would make playing more fun. :)

Chrebet - 07:01pm Nov 9, 2004 PST(#66 of 279)
Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. - Charles Schultz

Thanks for reminding me Sassi I wanted to post about the "rules"

Although I haven't played as long as a lot of people I remember when I started if people crossed lines like the "mp superpowers" of over hearing, seeing everything or always being in the right place at the right time or posting about a character that wasn't around was normally addressed. Either the host, fellow player or Scarlet would comment to the player and everything was fine. I know I was spoken to and I learned not to do it again.

It seems those rules aren't consistently enforced now. When I host I know I talk to players when rules are broken.

I really think the rules need to be enforced on a consistent basis. I think it will only help the MPs.

rubyj - 07:32pm Nov 9, 2004 PST(#67 of 279)
I confess...started using wrinkle cream and dyed my hair...now my face is darker and my hair is wrinkled...whassup with that?

Wow...lot of posting in here, and some good suggestions/comments. The time zone thing can be a problem, and I can remember at times being one of the "Lone Posters" which can be quite frustrating. Also would sometimes be a motivational poster...trying to reel lurkers into the MP.

Assisting with hosting is good, a way of mentoring and encouraging others to share their talents. But it is totally frustrating to watch an MP crawl to nearly a stop. Personally, I started writing an MP years ago...but the doggone clue writing stopped me. I've assisted with developing bios, locations and scenes...and that was indeed fun. And I am available to help others with this.

One more thing, it is exasperating to get really involved and then not be able to participate in the finale...yes, it happens. I'm mainly a night poster and cannot post during work hours. So that's why I usually go for the minor roles.

We tried to have "mini" MP's, shorter ones...because the longer ones can be exhausting. These are more guided by the hosts, with less clues.

And just one more thing...(((((Scarlet)))))

Jinx - 07:41pm Nov 9, 2004 PST(#68 of 279)
All you need is a chip and a chair. Shuffle up and deal!

fran, i think it is possible to get this area off the ground again. the teasers section, post-and-vote and post-and-solves have their guidelines and "helpers" to keep the games going or jump in when things get slow.

why not the same for the mps? scarlet does a great job in this area but it is a lot of work as you have stated earlier. also why not have our own "helper" apart from scarlet? once in a while a potential host or two will post in this area asking help from others to bounce an mp idea or to help write out bios, clues, settings etc. i don't know if lately anyone who has asked for help have been offered the help but with helpers anyone would be guaranteed a write back of some sort for knowing that they have been heard. i know when i feel i have the time i will email the person...sometimes i get asked to help and other times i'm ignored. apart from scarlet we could have a couple of other volunteers to help with this process but in the end it would be up to that host to determine if they would like that helper to be a co-host as well or to at least ask in case that helper doesn't have the time or the inclination to host. some people just like to write clues, others like to write bios and others don't mind filling in for the day to do hostly duties until the "real" host comes in to take over.

rubyj - 07:44pm Nov 9, 2004 PST(#69 of 279)
I confess...started using wrinkle cream and dyed my hair...now my face is darker and my hair is wrinkled...whassup with that?

The last I can remember who asked for help was Audrey...and Kirsten and I did offer help. I think r/l caught up with her...

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (210 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Community Mystery Games  / MysteryNet Mystery Parties by Members  / Comments and/or Suggestions

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: