Buy through our affiliates:
•  Mystery Guild Book Club
•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Community Mystery Games  / MysteryNet Mystery Parties by Members  /

Comments and/or Suggestions

This folder is for general information and any questions that may arise for this section of MysteryNet.

If you have an idea for a mystery Party and would like to host please email me the rough outline and/or any information you have. I will contact any and all who send ideas.

Please no chit chat!!

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages More Messages (69 previous messages)
Jeandiata - 08:44pm Nov 9, 2004 PST(#70 of 279)
It's time to try defying gravity

It seems that I almost always wind up playing alone - I think I made it all the through the Olympics without finding my family...LOL But I always had a great time doing it - it really stretched my creativity. I think posting alone has almost as many benefits as actually posting with people.

My pet peeve is having to spend up to 4 hours reading posts that are nothing but icky smoochy or boring. That leaves very little time to actually participate.

There was one I played in where a dead body was found and yet no one seemed to care about the murder. They just kept on flirting and trying to hook up - rather than look for the killer. I guess what I'm trying to say is that sometimes the mp's, like my post, lack focus. It just becomes a free for all RPG....and then a flurry of activity on the last day to get "secret" info out and then the finale happens.

I'm more interested in solving the mystery & the clues than in the role playing. I want to be my character and interact with others, but only as they pertain to the storyline and solving the mystery. The ones that I've most enjoyed - didn't have the most number of posts but had the most focus and the most well thought out and creative subplots.

I'm also working on an MP but keep getting stuck...*sigh*

Just my 2 cents

*polishing up my Whammies and showing them off* to give me some credibility to my post....:oř

babypunkin :o) - 09:19pm Nov 9, 2004 PST(#71 of 279)
We are always more afraid than we wish to be, but we can always be braver than we expect.-- Sorilea (Wise One from WOT) in "Lord of Chaos"

While this isn't exactly a comment/complaint about MPs in general.... it IS MP related.

Ok well as I stated in my last post I'm back working on my mp I started about 2 years ago.

One thing I noticed in reading the previous suggestions was regard to character development either being too precise or too broad on the part of the host. Or the character not being played the way the host intended.

I'd like some feedback on what everyone would think if when asked to sign up, I gave a general description of the situation and when you emailed that you would participate you would also include your own bio. Of course I'd be tweaking it a little to give your character "connections" to other characters but the general idea would be yours. This way you have control over your character's gender, personality and could also indicate how much input you thought you would be able to contribute to the MP and the time of day you intend to post the most. My particular MP doesn't necessarily have to have marriages/couples together so I'd just have to make sure to match people up who are posting the same time.

I'm sure I could get much more exact with this but since this is just a "feeler" I'll let you all respond to that first.

rubyj - 09:20pm Nov 9, 2004 PST(#72 of 279)
I confess...started using wrinkle cream and dyed my hair...now my face is darker and my hair is wrinkled...whassup with that?

Well, maybe we could have another folder, where we can put our ideas (would have to be summaries) with the suggested title/settings, number of characters (and if bios had been written), the type of mystery to be solved (or "treasure" to be found), and whether or not clues had been started. I realize this could get long, and again would need to be summarized only. Those who have the time/experience and wish to host a particular MP would email Scarlet (or a co-helper), who could then elicit all the info and forward it to the appropriate host(s). Several of us have offered help/input, but this would be a way for some continuing dialogue, encouragement, and completion of MP's.
I know we all have ideas for MP's, but this would be the ones where there has been some further development and perhaps just needs tweaking and/or clues. Just an idea...

sassi - 09:54pm Nov 9, 2004 PST(#73 of 279)
I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers.

BP, I have a question. Are you suggesting the participants write their own bios? How would you write up a mystery if the characters are not developed? And how would you control who the characters are? What would you do if everyone wrote in and said "ok, I'm female, I want to be single, I want to meet tall, dark and handsome. I want to be young. I want to be rich. I want to be smart....etc"

It's an interesting idea and one I'd never undertake. As Jinx said, its roleplaying, acting. It means that we become whoever we get sent. Usually hosts ask gender and you have an opportunity to tell if you don't like something. Or specifically don't want a certain type to play.

I just don't see how asking participants to tell who they want and writing their own bios would help the barriers that seem to be in MPs.

I don't know ... its an interesting idea. I personally don't like the idea of writing my own bio - I'd rather play one that was given to me, with clear directives and history and run with it. :)

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (206 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Community Mystery Games  / MysteryNet Mystery Parties by Members  / Comments and/or Suggestions

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: