Buy through our affiliates:
•  Mystery Guild Book Club
•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Community Mystery Games  / MysteryNet Mystery Parties by Members  /

Comments and/or Suggestions

This folder is for general information and any questions that may arise for this section of MysteryNet.

If you have an idea for a mystery Party and would like to host please email me the rough outline and/or any information you have. I will contact any and all who send ideas.

Please no chit chat!!

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages More Messages (71 previous messages)
rubyj - 09:20pm Nov 9, 2004 PST(#72 of 279)
I confess...started using wrinkle cream and dyed my hair...now my face is darker and my hair is wrinkled...whassup with that?

Well, maybe we could have another folder, where we can put our ideas (would have to be summaries) with the suggested title/settings, number of characters (and if bios had been written), the type of mystery to be solved (or "treasure" to be found), and whether or not clues had been started. I realize this could get long, and again would need to be summarized only. Those who have the time/experience and wish to host a particular MP would email Scarlet (or a co-helper), who could then elicit all the info and forward it to the appropriate host(s). Several of us have offered help/input, but this would be a way for some continuing dialogue, encouragement, and completion of MP's.
I know we all have ideas for MP's, but this would be the ones where there has been some further development and perhaps just needs tweaking and/or clues. Just an idea...

sassi - 09:54pm Nov 9, 2004 PST(#73 of 279)
I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers.

BP, I have a question. Are you suggesting the participants write their own bios? How would you write up a mystery if the characters are not developed? And how would you control who the characters are? What would you do if everyone wrote in and said "ok, I'm female, I want to be single, I want to meet tall, dark and handsome. I want to be young. I want to be rich. I want to be smart....etc"

It's an interesting idea and one I'd never undertake. As Jinx said, its roleplaying, acting. It means that we become whoever we get sent. Usually hosts ask gender and you have an opportunity to tell if you don't like something. Or specifically don't want a certain type to play.

I just don't see how asking participants to tell who they want and writing their own bios would help the barriers that seem to be in MPs.

I don't know ... its an interesting idea. I personally don't like the idea of writing my own bio - I'd rather play one that was given to me, with clear directives and history and run with it. :)

sassi - 10:05pm Nov 9, 2004 PST(#74 of 279)
I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers.

Jean, I agree - its more fun to solve the mystery than run around trying to "play cards." It's more fun to read a mystery that has depth to the posts, then read about the bedroom antics and flirtations.

It's a fine line though. Some players require more role-playing because their characters have secrets that lead to the ultimate solution. And the main reason to play in a mp is ... to play. Which means to post.

I know when we first started, we posted way too much but we were learning. By the third, we were more practised and our posts tended to be much more detailed. And sometimes many took part in one conversation -like round table discussions - which was a blast.

And lead to the solution of the mystery.

I love role-playing. I love when I read lots of interactions and drama. Through it the mystery is solved too.

What was frustrating .... and what we worked on in the early times ... was learning to do the role-playing in such a way it contributed to the mp. Not just one post that says "oh I'm fine, and you?" "oh I'm fine, would you like some coke?" "oh yes, I love vanilla coke."

I agree, that's boring.

What I've found though is we've gone from too many posts to ..... very few posts. And the last mp I played, I worried that I was posting too much (hosts said nope, doing fine) but it was soooo slow, it made my teeth ache.

There is a balance and I think it could be explained in rules ... in such a way that all would understand. And then, we could really play. :)

And I think it was Chrebet who brought up the rules and how its not being adhered as tight. I agree - specifically with a couple mps I played. It was like a free for all ... and that wasn't allowed before, still shouldn't be.

Question: Jean, you mentioned mini-mps. What are these? Mps moved to 2week max. length, which to me is mini. The first 3 mps took several months to play out, each around 1 month in length (app).

Just curious what a mini-mp is. :)

babypunkin :o) - 10:08pm Nov 9, 2004 PST(#75 of 279)
We are always more afraid than we wish to be, but we can always be braver than we expect.-- Sorilea (Wise One from WOT) in "Lord of Chaos"

Of course if someone didn't want to write a bio for themselves, I could give them one.

I don't want to give too much info about my MP cuz it's not fully developed yet... but let's say that the story really isn't set around the MP characters LOL If everyone wants to be female... that's fine... however, if everyone is female they won't be able to meet the tall, dark, handsome man and I'd be sure to let everyone know that it's an all female cast LOL

My story is not dependent on the character's bios... it is totally independent and can be written around what everyone wants to be...and I think will be fun. ( I HOPE)

Of course it would be boring if all someone wanted to be was single, smart, rich, beautiful... you have to have a little quirk or skeleton in your closet... and I think most of our regular MPers are very creative and would do a great job ;o)

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (204 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Community Mystery Games  / MysteryNet Mystery Parties by Members  / Comments and/or Suggestions

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: