Buy through our affiliates:
•  Mystery Guild Book Club
•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Community Mystery Games  / MysteryNet Mystery Parties by Members  /

Comments and/or Suggestions

This folder is for general information and any questions that may arise for this section of MysteryNet.

If you have an idea for a mystery Party and would like to host please email me the rough outline and/or any information you have. I will contact any and all who send ideas.

Please no chit chat!!

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages More Messages (75 previous messages)
sassi - 10:25pm Nov 9, 2004 PST(#76 of 279)
I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers.

Sorry Jean, that question on mini-mps is for Ruby. :)

BP, its an interesting concept ... just very hard to wrap my head around it. But then, personally I'm open to anything. One suggestion is ... have a guideline and ask players to keep within the guidelines.

Personally as I mentioned, I love the drama of the mps. Out of the drama other mps have been born. Which get richer and richer with each writing. (and to be clear, the writing of past characters into new mps was always approved by the past writers of the previous mps ... and when past characters were used, the original players were allowed to jump in and participate ... so no toes were stepped on **smiling**)

I love the drama when its connected to the mp storyline and the ultimate solution. In a treasure hunt, like the first mp or the one I'm working on - drama keeps the mp alive. And in the first mp we were told to create teams to work together and find the money - and to post that working together. It was great, many laughs, many tears ... and all worked out in the end.

but as I mentioned, we did have to tone down the posts too ... there is that balance thing :)

My fav MPs are ones with rich drama and loads of various types of clues. Where AIM is rarely used and people jump into the lounge to work on the clues. Where people interact regardless of who it is ... and as a result, further develop the mp. And where card-playing is balanced with rich drama and interactions ... and clue solving.

I really miss those types of MPs. In my opinion, its a balance between a good host (or hosts) and good players. :) :)

Jinx, I loved your ideas. I agree that we can revive this area and through all this sharing and brainstorming, we can come up with concrete ways to do mps.

Thks again Fran for opening this up to discussion.

sassi - 10:41pm Nov 9, 2004 PST(#77 of 279)
I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers.

I know I talked lots and I hope I didn't drown anyone out.

Just one thing on mp development. Seems that many mps are sitting waiting to be finished. Personally I wonder if it really is all about not being able to figure out clues etc.

Because for me its ... I don't want to host. I've heard other players comments and cringed. I've seen mps fall flat and not always the fault of the host/writer. Sometimes its simply the players who quit playing ... stop working out clues, stop posting and talk on AIM.

As you can tell, AIM is my sore spot. If you played in a MP with me, I was easily identified as I couldn't use AIM. There were some people who kept me included even though I couldn't use AIM. :) But sometimes it really felt like there were secrets that only those who were on messenger knew. I did try the basic AIM and found that with that particular crowd, they played the MP on the messenger! What fun is that????

I stopped using AIM after that - besides, even the mini-AIM hates my computer.

Ok, that's a sideline. Back to hosting. I wonder if others feel the same and you don't need to post here. Just something to think about. I've been in a few MPs that ended with a lecture about "be nice to the host, no more putting the host down, there will be no more name-calling the host."

That doesn't make me want to rush out and be a host. Maybe others feel the same way too.

(sorry that's harsh ... and thank goodness for the most part my experiences with hosting mps has been great, with glitches and still great)

Last .. someone mentioned a forum to talk out ideas and such. If someone was interested in sharing an idea but didn't want to host or was looking for help. That might be a great idea. And if you wanted to do your own, that still could happen. I like that. :)

sassi - 10:45pm Nov 9, 2004 PST(#78 of 279)

ps: messengers do have a role in mps. I've used messengers for final scenes and have participated in final scenes with others and the host, through messenger. In my opinion, that is a productive use of the messenger system. And when people used AIM, they kept me posted through emails. I have no problem with that. My sore spot is entire mps played out on AIM. Where posting in lounge is low and then later, you find that people have been chatting on messenger. That's what I was referring to in my message.

Jinx - 05:31am Nov 10, 2004 PST(#79 of 279)
All you need is a chip and a chair. Shuffle up and deal!

sassi, mini-mps are mps that would only last 1 week instead of the allotted 2. this was only mentioned in the past when it started to get difficult to keep the players interest going with an mp so there were talks of having shorter mps to at least keep this area going. again it seems more like the host is forced to "play" their own mp than the players participating in it

personally i don't mind hosting at all. i've actually co-hosted a couple of mps where the orginal host wanted me to act more the "enforcer" than to carry out the other duties of emailing clues and answering questions etc. most players who have been in my mps should know that i am a fair host (at least that is what i like to think but no one will tell me otherwise, lol) and will give free range on the characters as long as it doesn't go too far from the bios. i've had my share of acting as referee to a couple of players/characters when they didn't see eye to eye. sometimes the plot that is being offered is out of line and i will say so and sometimes the plot is a fantastic addition to the story and feel that it would add a little more drama to the mp and that's where it gets shaky. once again hosts can't please everyone but it would help if the hosts weren't seen as the enemy when in fact they are only trying their best to come to a fair and amicable solution.

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (200 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Community Mystery Games  / MysteryNet Mystery Parties by Members  / Comments and/or Suggestions

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: