•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Social Lounge  /

How to Use the Social Lounge

HOW TO USE THE SOCIAL LOUNGE

First, a little history. In the days before the Social Lounge existed, we still had Teasers and Online Mysteries (called The Case back then). We were finding that people wanted to talk with each other and it was cluttering up the games (and Iím sure annoying a lot of people too!) and making it hard to find the topic thread that was supposed to be discussed. So, we decided to have a separate area where people could talk about other things, hence the Social Lounge was born and has grown from having one discussion to chat in to having many areas and topics to discuss.

The best advice I can give on learning the ropes of the Social Lounge is to look into each folder to see what it contains. Be sure to register (itís free!) by clicking Register Now on the top of the page in the grey area. The next step (and every time you visit MysteryNet and want to read or add a post) be sure to log in first. Once you find something that you think you will want to go back to, click the Subscribe button just above the posting box in each discussion. Now you will be taken to that discussion any time a new post has been added. You can subscribe to as many discussions as you like and unsubscribe at any time by clicking the Unsubscribe button that you will see if you have previously subscribed.

To get you started, itís nice to have you introduce yourself, although not required. You can tell us as much or as little as you like about yourself, or simply just tell us you are here! That Discussion is called Introduce Yourself and can be found here:

"Introduce Yourself"

You will notice the route you took to get there at the top of the page. It will say

Mystery Net Community > Social Lounge > Getting To Know You - Your Favorites >

That means that, from MysteryNet Community, you are in the Social Lounge, in a Folder called Getting to Know You Ė Your Favorites.

If you click that link for Getting to Know You, you will see all of the other Discussions that make up that Folder. It works the same way throughout the site, so if you ever want to check just where you are, that will tell you.

All of the Folders can be found on the main Social Lounge page here:

Social Lounge

ABOUT POSTING

Posting a message is very easy. You will have to be logged in first. When you find something you would like to add a comment on, simply type your message into the posting box which can be found at the bottom of the page at each Discussion. Remember that this is not like live chat and people may not be here at the same time that you are. This is more like a message board, so check back often to see if someone has answered your post.

Q. Where should I post if I just want to say hello or find people to chat with?
A. We have several Discussions for people just to chat, with no particular topic as a heading. These include:

"Just Because"

"Cozy Kitchen"

"I Confess"

Q. What other Discussions would I be interested in keeping up with?
A. If you plan on being a regular member, you will find that the people are fantastic and that this Community is like no other found on the Web. We respect and care about each other and have become a sort of family who always warmly welcomes new members, and you will find just about anything being discussed.

For the latest news, either about the website or about what is happening in peopleís lives, you will probably want to keep up-to-date at

"Announcement Board and Other News"

Q. What can I do here, other than chat?
A. There are a number of games that started out in the Social Lounge and became so popular they warranted their own areas. You will want to check these out and join in on the fun!

Post-n-Solve

Post-n-Go

Q. Is there someplace I can go for help to have my post appear the way I want it to?
A. Yes! You can test out your posting skills or ask how to do something at

Test Your Posting Skills

That should get you started! If you have any questions, you can ask them here:

Ask a Question

Or you can email Fran at this address.

Hope you enjoy the site and stay around for a long time!

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages More Messages (1 previous message)
bella wanella - 11:46am May 7, 2009 PST(#2 of 26)

I loooovvvee it ... this would have been invalauble to me back 10 years ago ... lol I remember when I would say a chat type comment in teasers which is where I first landed they kept saying take that kind of talk to the social lounge ... lol I thought they were being sarcastic I honestly did not know that there actually was a socila lounge until sultry brunette explained to me to check the gray left side .. I never had looked cause I just thought it was more advertisements. ooohhhh how I have grown! lol

Fran Hinkel - 05:23am May 12, 2009 PST(#3 of 26)
You can check out anytime you like...but you can never leave!

Are people not finding this or just not have any comments, I wonder. Thanks for the input, Bella.

kirsten b - 05:42am May 12, 2009 PST(#4 of 26)

I found it. I like that there are links to several areas. Might be good to add in the link to the "test your posting skills".

rubyj - 07:59pm May 12, 2009 PST(#5 of 26)
I confess...started using wrinkle cream and dyed my hair...now my face is darker and my hair is wrinkled...whassup with that?

I found it...like the explanations and links.

Fran Hinkel - 05:19am May 13, 2009 PST(#6 of 26)

Thanks for the idea, Kirsten, good one!

Thanks, Ruby.

After we get it worked out about what it should include, I am going to ask the office if they can put it on the sidebar so people can find it easily.

Aggie - 06:16am May 13, 2009 PST(#7 of 26)
The most wasted of all days is one without laughter. ee cummings

I'm thinking shorter might be better. Many people don't bother to read if they're presented with too much. Just Because and I Confess, etc. might be just a one-line link. (leave out the extra wording) Also, for the Post-n-Solves, Teasers, etc a one-line link that would take the curious to the explanation for that topic. And maybe some indenting so it's easier to follow.

_Jersey_Girl_ - 07:13am May 18, 2009 PST(#8 of 26)
"Nothing matters in the whole wide world when you're in love with a Jersey Girl." - T. Waits

I found it. I don't usually actually look at the discussions anymore. I just login and hit "Check New Messages". That's why I missed it.

_Jersey_Girl_ - 07:19am May 18, 2009 PST(#9 of 26)
"Nothing matters in the whole wide world when you're in love with a Jersey Girl." - T. Waits

I agree that shorter is better. I got as far as "Introduce Yourself" and started getting overload. I don't know if having links for every discussion is necessary. Maybe just the explanation of the Social Lounge and then just let people ask questions if they want.

Fran Hinkel - 04:09am May 19, 2009 PST(#10 of 26)

Thanks, all. I'll see what I can do to shorten it, but the purpose of it is to let new people know where to go and what to do when they get there.

This is why I put this up for discussion before adding it. All ideas are welcome!

_Jersey_Girl_ - 07:00am May 19, 2009 PST(#11 of 26)

Maybe break it down in to two discussions?

Fran Hinkel - 03:58am May 20, 2009 PST(#12 of 26)

I'd like to keep it all in one discussion so I can get a link posted on the sidebar.

I figure if people are new and they have no clue how this all works, it is important to have it all in one spot because they really won't know how to travel around to other discussions. This helps explain to them how to do that and has all the info in one place. That's my thinking on it.

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (14 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Social Lounge  / How to Use the Social Lounge

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: