•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Social Lounge  /

How to Use the Social Lounge

HOW TO USE THE SOCIAL LOUNGE

First, a little history. In the days before the Social Lounge existed, we still had Teasers and Online Mysteries (called The Case back then). We were finding that people wanted to talk with each other and it was cluttering up the games (and Iím sure annoying a lot of people too!) and making it hard to find the topic thread that was supposed to be discussed. So, we decided to have a separate area where people could talk about other things, hence the Social Lounge was born and has grown from having one discussion to chat in to having many areas and topics to discuss.

The best advice I can give on learning the ropes of the Social Lounge is to look into each folder to see what it contains. Be sure to register (itís free!) by clicking Register Now on the top of the page in the grey area. The next step (and every time you visit MysteryNet and want to read or add a post) be sure to log in first. Once you find something that you think you will want to go back to, click the Subscribe button just above the posting box in each discussion. Now you will be taken to that discussion any time a new post has been added. You can subscribe to as many discussions as you like and unsubscribe at any time by clicking the Unsubscribe button that you will see if you have previously subscribed.

To get you started, itís nice to have you introduce yourself, although not required. You can tell us as much or as little as you like about yourself, or simply just tell us you are here! That Discussion is called Introduce Yourself and can be found here:

"Introduce Yourself"

You will notice the route you took to get there at the top of the page. It will say

Mystery Net Community > Social Lounge > Getting To Know You - Your Favorites >

That means that, from MysteryNet Community, you are in the Social Lounge, in a Folder called Getting to Know You Ė Your Favorites.

If you click that link for Getting to Know You, you will see all of the other Discussions that make up that Folder. It works the same way throughout the site, so if you ever want to check just where you are, that will tell you.

All of the Folders can be found on the main Social Lounge page here:

Social Lounge

ABOUT POSTING

Posting a message is very easy. You will have to be logged in first. When you find something you would like to add a comment on, simply type your message into the posting box which can be found at the bottom of the page at each Discussion. Remember that this is not like live chat and people may not be here at the same time that you are. This is more like a message board, so check back often to see if someone has answered your post.

Q. Where should I post if I just want to say hello or find people to chat with?
A. We have several Discussions for people just to chat, with no particular topic as a heading. These include:

"Just Because"

"Cozy Kitchen"

"I Confess"

Q. What other Discussions would I be interested in keeping up with?
A. If you plan on being a regular member, you will find that the people are fantastic and that this Community is like no other found on the Web. We respect and care about each other and have become a sort of family who always warmly welcomes new members, and you will find just about anything being discussed.

For the latest news, either about the website or about what is happening in peopleís lives, you will probably want to keep up-to-date at

"Announcement Board and Other News"

Q. What can I do here, other than chat?
A. There are a number of games that started out in the Social Lounge and became so popular they warranted their own areas. You will want to check these out and join in on the fun!

Post-n-Solve

Post-n-Go

Q. Is there someplace I can go for help to have my post appear the way I want it to?
A. Yes! You can test out your posting skills or ask how to do something at

Test Your Posting Skills

That should get you started! If you have any questions, you can ask them here:

Ask a Question

Or you can email Fran at this address.

Hope you enjoy the site and stay around for a long time!

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages (21 previous messages)
White Tornado - 01:54pm May 23, 2009 PST(#22 of 26)
(8@D)======> The WINDS of change are inevitable...but then...so is the Power of Love......TORNADO WARNING: Some people are sheltered,,,,,, and then,,,,,, I unshelter them

May I take this out of Announcements and repost here now that "How To" has been added to the sidebar(shaded area).

This was my suggestion of how the SOCIAL LOUNGE sidebar could look.

Now that you mention it, I think we could improve the Social Lounge in shaded area to help newbies navigate and readily see that it is an active part of MN. We would not have to include every sub folder in SL as seen now but perhaps do something like:

Social Lounge

How To Use Social Lounge
Comments and Suggestions for Social Lounge
Information Areas
Just For Fun Areas
Social Areas

The Social Areas would then include the subfolders

Getting To Know You - Your Favorites
Grown Ups Only, Please
MysteryNet Gatherings
Cozy Kitchen
Just Because
I Confess

White Tornado - 04:18am May 24, 2009 PST(#23 of 26)
(8@D)======> The WINDS of change are inevitable...but then...so is the Power of Love......TORNADO WARNING: Some people are sheltered,,,,,, and then,,,,,, I unshelter them

Just came up with an idea last night and thought I'd post it here since we are mulling over ideas.

What do you all think about establishing a new forum in the Games area: Games Announcments?
The purpose being whether one is hostng one or a myriad of games there is one central folder all can be informed of any necessary updates such as a need to cover for votes; temp unavails to check in on hosting duties; puter probs, etc.
This would not eliminate the host posting status in the affected folders but compliment it as it would give everyone, esp PTBs, a readily visual update on how many folders may be temp unattended or need a proxy host.

There may be other announcements which may be appropriate for this folder as well as the need arises.

BrashNZ - 03:05pm May 24, 2009 PST(#24 of 26)
My real name is Ashley, I play Brass, I live in New Zealand. So you can just call me Ashley or Ash if you want.

It also might actually help those who should be hosting but cannot remember which puzzles or missed the call that its their turn.

I'd like to see the Social lounge area separated from the puzzles in such a way that (maybe I can choose) we can have the puzzles come up first when I "check new messages". If I am responsible for hosting, especially several puzzles at the same time, I don't want to have to wade through all the social activities first. This is supposed to be a mystery/puzzle website - the social side should be secondary unless it can be changed in the settings (I AM aware that we have people who never seem to do the puzzles but spend a lot of time in the social lounge).

Fran Hinkel - 05:12am Jun 4, 2009 PST(#25 of 26)
You can check out anytime you like...but you can never leave!

I leave the games discussions up to the hosts of those areas, since they are the ones most familiar with what is happening there and what is needed.

On checking new messages in games, you just need to navigate to the games discussion and click check new messages. It will take you to all the new messages posted there first before continuing to take you on your sub ride.

Fran Hinkel - 05:14am Jun 4, 2009 PST(#26 of 26)
You can check out anytime you like...but you can never leave!

Also, we will be getting rid of this discussion in a few days in favor of the new folder posted.

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Social Lounge  / How to Use the Social Lounge

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: