•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Social Lounge  /

Comments and Suggestions for Social Lounge

We are always looking for ways to improve your enjoyment and interest in the Social Lounge. Your opinions are valuable to MysteryNet and we hope you will take the opportunity to post your comments and suggestions in this discussion.

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages More Messages (56 previous messages)
Fran Hinkel - 08:57am Dec 6, 2000 PST(#57 of 1770)
You can check out anytime you like...but you can never leave!

I apologize in advance if you have already read this in Announcements. I post it here also because I think we are losing sight of the fact that MN is a business like any other, with a staff to pay. With that said...

First let me make clear that this is a personal post, as a MN member and is in no way sanctioned by MN - they do not know I am making it and in fact, they may get mad at me for posting this. I am hoping that this will not cost me friends, but I had to speak out.

For five years MN has brought us mysteries to read, mysteries to solve, teasers to have fun with and above all, a close and unique community not found anywhere else on the internet. All for free.

Many came into the site in a way that they did not even have to see ads, let alone click on them.

Now, MN needs our help to stay a viable site. The only possible way to do this was to charge a small fee (and it is very reasonable) or lose MN entirely. I think people have panicked because they did not know what to expect. The new site will be even better with new features. I am stunned that so many have said they would not come back - I thought what we had here was worth paying a small fee to keep. I, for one, would be willing to pay someone's fee if they still want to come and are unable to pay it. I realize that MN has kept you in the dark about what is happening, and maybe that was a mistake on their part. It started a panic that grew like a snowball. More information will be forthcoming shortly.

For those who have links here, I was very unhappy to read you were taking them down. My feeling on that is that anyone who happened to wander in here could see those things, without anyone ever knowing they had. All they had to do was read and not post. It seems to me that it would be even more secure now, with only members having access. Of course, that is your decision and I will respect it. Members who belonged to other areas of the site were free to come here also. Members who sign on for the new club are more than likely, already members of MN.

All I am asking you to do is think things over and not do anything rashly. Do we really want to lose this? Don't we also owe MN something for the years of enjoyment we've had? Thanks for listening.

I love you all. - Fran

Sunnybrook - 09:39am Dec 6, 2000 PST(#58 of 1770)
If all I wanted was attention, I'd be naked.

Your post is very insightful...

I have always felt that MN is a business, it would be silly to think that someone would pay for as many jobs and hardware equipment to run for free.

It is obvious that MN has tried many money generating projects. Major companies have done banner ads. MN has a bookstore, and I understand, from time to time, they try to get known names to talk about the site. They also have a pay-per-play section.

I can only @ssume that they are not generating the money that is needed.

For those that can afford to pay, but are not going to need to look at a few points.

1. What would MN need to do in order to gain your business? Is something amiss from the format? Is there a service that is not being offered?

2. Have you ever contacted MN (There is a contact info page just click at the very bottom of the page) I do not know what kind of response time would be involved.

As for those who cannot afford a fee... that is entirely a different issue, and I certainly feel for you guys during this time, as I know what it is like to have to face these kinds of problems

Chrebet - 09:41am Dec 6, 2000 PST(#59 of 1770)
Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. - Charles Schultz

Sunny I think everyone has good points, for me the reason I wouldn't pay is because of all those that won't be here because they can't afford to pay.

Sunnybrook - 10:32am Dec 6, 2000 PST(#60 of 1770)
If all I wanted was attention, I'd be naked.

I think that is a valid point, Chre..

That probably will be the reason that I would not pay as well... Because it is a good site, and has a lot of areas that are fun... but face it, it requires interaction...

MaxOut - 10:43am Dec 6, 2000 PST(#61 of 1770)
Worlds worst excuse: "But we've always done it that way."

I can see charging and paying (from a business point of view) for certain areas, teasers, puzzles, post & solve, MP's, etc.

But the social lounge, which is mainly discussion boards (that sometimes I'm just too busy to give a lot of attention to) is great as a meeting place for friends, and even though I can easily afford to pay, would not be able to justify it (especially since there are free alternatives).

Also, since MN is going to become a pay site, that excludes everyone under 18.

Just more of my humble opinions.

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (1709 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Social Lounge  / Comments and Suggestions for Social Lounge

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: