If they want us to pay for it, how are they expecting us to pay? I for one dont own a credit card, or have a checking acount. I dont run my computer through a phone line, so I dont know if they could charge my phone bill. If I would have to send in a $5.00 payment every month, I would have to pay 1.50 for a money order and then another $.34 for a stamp (prices are going up in Jan I think. Thus, that raises the price to $6.84. I know that doesnt seem like much, but it all adds up when you are trying to pay other bills also.
My situation for not being able to pay is similar to Diva's. The Canadian dollar is worth about half of the American dollar. So even if the price is only $5 a month, that would end up being about $10 for me and then there would be the postage costs. And there's no way I could pay that even if members under 18 were allowed to join. My dad is in the middle of a court case right now that involves him and about 10 other people being fired from their jobs even though they had a contract, so right now we have to pay the lawyer and tons of other bills.
I would have really liked to stay here with everyone. :-(
Does anyone know what is happening with the kid's sight?
((((Fran)))) We love you, and want you to know it... and you raise valid points in your message. I do have a few things to comment on, though:
1) MN has given us a lot indeed, but it has always been a business, and as such it has in turn used the number of subscribers to attract the advertising. It's always a give and take relationship, and it cannot be about giving people what they want. Although the advertising may not be enough to fund MN, that is hardly anyone's fault; not MN's and not ours. It's just an unfortunate occurence, but that's how most sites work. But this is not, and never has been about the site offering us free service; they did get a lot out of us being there too. YOU Fran have given us a lot, and were always there for us, but not the MN management. They just ran a business.
2) Diva raised an important point about the money orders from abroad.. Of course an annual fee is easier to handle for us abroad than a monthly one, as I believe it should be eventually.
3) I can pay a small fee.. I can even pay a BIG fee, if that guaranteed me the presence of the people I know and see here every day, or even once a month. But it won't, and for those of us that aren't too active in the teasers, it's unlikely that they will want to pay a fee (even nominal).
4) I still would like to know what will happen with the under-18s before making up my mind
5) I am not sure if the point has been raised, but I am unconvinced that a small fee will maintain MN. Once this becomes a paysite, the people in MN will have the right to ask to stop the advertising, especially as it causes trouble to many people's browsers. And I sincerely doubt the funds from subscriptions alone will be enough to sustain MN. ((((((Fran)))))) that will affect you more than anybody :-(
what I am also wondering is what happens in the future ..will it be like banks here, once they have you as a customer they slowly INCREASE the fees....
Many of us claim to be mystery addicts. MN is treating us like we are. They have given us our "drug of choice" free until we are hooked, THEN state we will have to pay to continue using.
Garry, Dawn.. I don't think it's anything that sinister... I do believe MN feel this is their only financially viable option to keep the site running.. I just feel it hasn't been thought through..
What can I say? Diva, I agree with you. I, too, think MN should have been more forthcoming about what was happening. I know the office is frantically working to get the new site working. I don't think they realized how upset people would be or they would have handled this differently.
As Nem said, the bottom line is that this is a business, with a staff to pay. We have to pay for the stories also.
The fee will be a yearly fee. The introductory offer will be $19.95 for a year's subscription. After January 1, 2001 the fee will be $29.95 a year. I think we can all agree that this is a very reasonable price and amounts to less than $.06 a day.
I have had offers from people to pay for the subscription of a member who truly cannot afford to pay. I will be trying to organize that - to help me do that, please email me if you either need help or are willing to help someone else. I will try to keep everything as confidential as possible.