•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Social Lounge  /

Comments and Suggestions for Social Lounge

We are always looking for ways to improve your enjoyment and interest in the Social Lounge. Your opinions are valuable to MysteryNet and we hope you will take the opportunity to post your comments and suggestions in this discussion.

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages More Messages (262 previous messages)
Fran Hinkel - 08:06am Jul 2, 2001 PST(#263 of 1770)
You can check out anytime you like...but you can never leave!

I agree with you too, Dave and would absolutely hate it if you left! However, this is one thing I just don't know how to fix. I know that the Gatherings would tend for people to get to know one another better and to naturally post to each other. I have sometimes felt left out of those conversations, too, Garry, so I don't absolutely agree that we are "in on it" because people are posting. We still have no idea what they are talking about.

I also don't understand quite why "couples" come on here and talk to one another instead of sending an IM or email or phone call. I am not saying people shouldn't do that, but I just don't "get" it.

I'm glad, though, that we can talk about all this in the open.

I am always open to suggestions.

MaxOut - 08:50am Jul 2, 2001 PST(#264 of 1770)
Worlds worst excuse: "But we've always done it that way."

Believe it or not, I (the most infrequent poster on MN) actually have something to say about this.

I understand what Dave is saying and I think Fran said most of it best. Being one of those that have been here for a long time (since before the SL) I've seen the change that has come over MN. I think what Dave was originally commenting about isn't really clique-ish as much as simply that certain people have developed both personal and internet friendships through MN. Along with those friendships comes inside comments, jokes, etc. When those inside "things" get included in posts, they can make people on the outside feel, well outside. I've seen this grow a lot over the last year, and I simply skip stuff I don't "get" (which for me is a lot).

I think that a lot of people here don't understand the difference between message boards and chat rooms. We don't have chat rooms at MN (unfortunately) and so a lot of our message boards become "chatty" which for a less frequent visitor (like myself) can seem a little hard to follow and make you feel left out because you "missed all the fun".

Personally, I do wish that more people would use chat rooms, especially when the chatting gets less group oriented, and keep MN more message board oriented.

realizing, I've just spoke more in this post than the entire last 6 months, passes soapbox to next person in line

laura - 09:00am Jul 2, 2001 PST(#265 of 1770)
"Another thing, then, is the American "nature," according to Licka: "This is a disaster [for the Czechs]. They are very ambitious, very self-confident and what's more, they've actually learned how to play football."

Makes sense Maxout. I just want to point out tho, that some folders, loke JB and the Kitchen, really are our 'chat rooms' since we don't have any like u said. i mean, we dont really go to the kitchen to talk about food, we go there to say hello and talk about our day and whatnot. Other folders tho, have a purpose, and sometimes, yes, we do tend to drift and chat there too.

so I guess, yes, we should try to keep chatting mainly to the chat folders, and more importantly, as dave said, all be consious of everyone in a folder while we're there.

I hate to think anyone feels left out, and if i personally ever made anyone feel like that, I apologize!

Shelly Dee - 03:02pm Jul 2, 2001 PST(#266 of 1770)
Your value has nothing to do with your valuables.

I find that I am in agreement with Dave, Fran, Max and *gasp* Erin ;).

I don't know if this will make sense but, back when the SL first got started it was used more as a message board, you didn't have to be here at the same time as someone else, you could 'leave a message' and when that person came on they would 'leave a message' back and it was easier to keep up, now it is more like a chat room where if you aren't able to be here when everyone else is, at 'peak' time, you get left behind.

ember99 - 03:18pm Jul 2, 2001 PST(#267 of 1770)

I understand totally about feeling left out. I was kinda new here quite a while back and I decided to try and chat in a folder. I believe it was JB1. the people who were in here were flirting to a point that I felt VERY uncomfortable and I was very much ignored. I erased my posts and it took me a long time before I was felt like posting again even though I never quit lurking.

If you ask me, I think people have been a lot more friendly and tend to acknowledge or try to acknowledge everyone a lot more now than before.

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (1503 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Social Lounge  / Comments and Suggestions for Social Lounge

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: