•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Social Lounge  /

I Confess

I Confess was a discussion we had in the early days of MysteyNet. I thought it would be fun to bring it back and see how it goes.

You can confess your truest feelings here or just everyday things.

We are here to listen, so confess away.

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages More Messages (122 previous messages)
rubyj - 07:28pm Oct 12, 2008 PST(#123 of 3115)
I confess...started using wrinkle cream and dyed my hair...now my face is darker and my hair is wrinkled...whassup with that?

I confess that my nephews live in the State of Denial, County of Amotivation, City of Mooch, in the Land of Nod.

Martha Dumas - 04:16am Oct 13, 2008 PST(#124 of 3115)
Since the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body (and vice versa), we now know that only left-handed people are truly in their right minds.

My stepdaughter definitely lives in the State of Denial. The younger stepson is in the County of Amotivation. I'm not sure where my older stepson is, butI don't think it's on this planet!

Fran Hinkel - 04:35am Oct 14, 2008 PST(#125 of 3115)
You can check out anytime you like...but you can never leave!

I've got one of those. Ha ha, I don't talk much about it but my eldest son has made drastically bad choices. It's hard to believe the same two parents raised him with our other two!

Fran Hinkel - 10:11am Oct 14, 2008 PST(#126 of 3115)

I Confess, this tickled me.

Our Tax System Explained: Bar Stool Economics

Suppose that every day, ten men go out for beer and the bill for all ten comes to $100. If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something like this:

The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing. The fifth would pay $1. The sixth would pay $3. The seventh would pay $7. The eighth would pay $12. The ninth would pay $18. The tenth man (the richest) would pay $59.

So, that's what they decided to do.

The ten men drank in the bar every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement, until one day, the owner threw them a curve. 'Since you are all such good customers,' he said, 'I'm going to reduce the cost of your daily beer by $20.' Drinks for the ten now cost just $80.

The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes so the first four men were unaffected. They would still drink for free.

But what about the other six men - the paying customers? How could they divide the $20 windfall so that everyone would get his 'fair share?'

They realized that $20 divided by six is $3.33. But if they subtracted that from everybody's share, then the fifth man and the sixth man would each end up being paid to drink his beer. So, the bar owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man's bill by roughly the same amount, and he proceeded to work out the amounts each should pay.

And so: The fifth man, like the first four, now paid nothing (100% savings). The sixth now paid $2 instead of $3 (33%savings). The seventh now pay $5 instead of $7 (28%savings). The eighth now paid $9 instead of $12 (25% savings). The ninth now paid $14 instead of $18 (22% savings). The tenth now paid $49 instead of $59 (16% savings).

Each of th e six was better off than before. And the first four continued to drink for free. But once outside the restaurant, the men began to compare their savings.

'I only got a dollar out of the $20,'declared the sixth man. He pointed to the tenth man,' but he got $10!'

'Yeah, that's right,' exclaimed the fifth man. 'I only saved a dollar, too. It's unfair that he got ten times more than I got' 'That's true!!' shouted the seventh man. 'Why should he get $10 back when I got only two? The wealthy get all the breaks!'

'Wait a minute,' yelled the first four men in unison. 'We didn't get anything at all. The system exploits the poor!'

The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up.

The next night the tenth man didn't show up for drinks so the nine sat down and had beers without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something important. They didn't have enough money between all of them for even half of the bill! And that, ladie s and gentlemen, journalists and college professors, is how our tax system works. The people who pay the highest ta xes get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just may not show up anymore. In fact, they might start drinking overseas where the atmosphere is somewhat friendlier.

David R. Kamerschen, Ph.D. Professor of Economics University of Georgia

For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.

Chris Wise - 10:14pm Oct 14, 2008 PST(#127 of 3115)
Every day, do one thing that scares you.

I confess that posting on MN using my husband's 24" x 32" HD monitor is really fun.

Aggie - 05:42am Oct 15, 2008 PST(#128 of 3115)
The most wasted of all days is one without laughter. ee cummings

I confess I've always appreciated that explanation of economics, Fran.

Chris, I'm not in your face, am I? ;)

I confess that we just can't quite seem to slip into Fall. After a couple of days in the 70s, we will be in the 80s today and are supposed to be back to 97 degrees come Friday. Makes choosing something to wear an adventure.

Fran Hinkel - 07:03am Oct 15, 2008 PST(#129 of 3115)

I confess I wouldn't mind a little bit more of the 70's weather! It is getting nippy in the mornings and evenings here already. And, the winter here is looonnng!

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (2986 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Social Lounge  / I Confess

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: