•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Writing Mysteries  / Mysteries By Members  /

Comments and Suggestions for Mysteries by Members Section

What can we do to make this section better, and possibly get more members to post their stories? Please let us know how you would like this section to grow.

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages (26 previous messages)
mary robertson - 03:37pm Oct 28, 2004 PST(#27 of 29)

I'm looking for examples of brilliant case solving using logic (fiction or non-fiction). I don't have time to read novels - I just need the solutions and the clues that led to them. Does anyone know if there's a book, website or publication that complies this kind of information? Is there a book that summarizes the plots and solutions of Agatha Christie novels for instance?

Yiannis - 06:43am Dec 9, 2004 PST(#28 of 29)

I guess this site still works. I hope it still works. I don't have any chances if it is not working. I am desperate.....This is the only place I could tell my story and maybe get answers...oh god, how much i need answers...is there anybody out there?

JH Gordon - 08:23am Apr 21, 2013 PST(#29 of 29)
Writer Detective stories

From the looks of this feature you've let it go to mold. But there's hope. Things are changing and authors need to get work out and published more than ever. So put some money in it. It doesn't even have to be YOUR money.

Most authors have web pages, facebook followers, and fans. You need the authors to drive their readers to your site. Put some money in it.

The first thing that comes to mind is a low entry fee contest. $5.00 per submission. Short stories only. Top twenty winners split $3.00 in descending order. The top two winners take the remainder at 70/30 for first and second place.

Put together an anthology of the works and sell it to create even more money for the next contest. At least the authors will buy it and maybe a lot more. After all, if people vote on the winner, they may be interested in the anthology. Give away a few copies as a prize for voting and a sure and certain copy if they donate $5.00 or more. All money in the contest should go to prizes.

Ask submitting authors to drive as many friends and fans to your site to vote for them as they can. They will. At the same time, they stimulate interest in all authors.

Even the odds of the votes for all authors by providing registering voters with TWO votes to level the playing field. One will be a loyalty vote and the other a vote of appreciation for another story they've read.

Suggest a $1.00 (or more) donation by the reader fans to support the general prize and support the art in general.

It's not about the money for you, it's about driving more people to this site. You have to make it special. And you want to attract more authors and their fans. Authors understand what it means to have a larger base and this site can benefit from the advent of Twitter and other social networks that have become popular long since many of the posts on this comment section. 1998?? Time to kick this site in the butt or take it down.

In asking for ONE DOLLAR prize donations you also ask the reader (even if they can't afford to donate a dollar) to at least (and please) click through one or more of the site ads in order to support the whole business.

I kind of doubt anyone will see this but I think it's sad to waste this resource when so many other sites are jammed with writers screaming for a venue like yours. As such, you have a terrific opportunity to be mentioned by authors on THOSE sites. Believe me, those links will increase your traffic like crazy.

Why don't you have a "contact me by email if there's a response to my post" feature? You do want to stimulate interaction by authors don't you?

I think you're already an affiliate of Amazon. How about Kobo and Smashwords and B&N? If it was my site, I'd support authors with "Author Pages" with click through links to their published works on those publishing sites so you pick up the affiliate fee from the publisher.

You can drive a lot of interest if you make the site more author friendly and create opportunity. Authors will tell their followers and post the info on other sites. You just need to open the door. JH

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Writing Mysteries  / Mysteries By Members  / Comments and Suggestions for Mysteries by Members Section

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: