•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Writing Mysteries  / Mysteries By Members  /

Comments and Suggestions for Mysteries by Members Section

What can we do to make this section better, and possibly get more members to post their stories? Please let us know how you would like this section to grow.

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages More Messages (5 previous messages)
Dana Gerr - 07:24pm Jun 15, 1998 PST(#6 of 29)

I just wanted to give some rave reviews here - I just found the site recently and I think the feedback and support are WONDERFUL! I swear, I will send in a finished story as soon as I can figure out how to do it. I'm a total technotwit when it comes to anything the least bit mechanically complicated.

I am just curious to hear from other aspring writers on this site - why DON't more people take example of this fabulous opportunity to get feedback from fellow readers/wrtiers? (That said, I better hit the word processor and get cracking.)

Dina Hagler - 02:21pm Jun 25, 1998 PST(#7 of 29)

At another site, people have mentioned that they didn't post here because the stuff looked so old.

Do you think we should delete items left over 30 or 60 days? Or put them in a general Archive folder?

Please let me know what you think!

I am supposed to be doing the housekeeping for this thread, and I would like to make it more interesting. However, there is so much happening with my own writing-- and so little time in each day! I haven't even read a solve-it in an entire month!

I surely don't want anyone to think this board is "LAME", and it would be nice to see some more stories here. What do you say, guys?

DDH

Simon - 04:21pm Jun 25, 1998 PST(#8 of 29)
It ain't easy being green

Dina~ Thanks for putting that solve-it of mine in a separate folder... I should have done that to begin with. Could you please put the Three-Ring-Thievery discussion in the same folder as the mystery, though? And by the way, what happened to my other solve-it, Weekend at Blackwood Manor? Anyway, I'm thinking of writing another solve-it to add to the pile... :o)

And yeah, I think an archive would be a good idea...

Dina Hagler - 08:38am Jun 29, 1998 PST(#9 of 29)

BB:

I am going to start another folder, not to be called Twists but something like "Suspense stories" or something (any suggestions would be appreciated).

Sorry about the fact that once we re-arrange the stories, they pop up in your subscriptions. I don't know what to do about that; I am the one shuffling, and the same thing happens to me.

RE: wrong categorizing-- just post a note as a new message at your story. It will be read, and then the story can be moved to the appropriate category and the message deleted.

I think that after all categorizing has been finished, that we will put all of those stories over 60 days in an archive folder, with the breakdown in categories there, and any new stories can just be added as their own discussion/folder, since the catchy titles are more compelling than being lumped in with the older stories (which also have catchy titles)in the categorized threads.

Therefore, when someone posts a new story, they can list at the beginning, the approx. word count, and the "category" of mystery.

But I would like others opinion on this (especially time limit as far as being considered "new") before it actually happens. Would 30 days be better? I will also see what can be done as far as not annoying us with "new subscriptions". But I have a feeling nothing can be done.

I am thinking after the "reoganization" process is complete, perhaps we could start having some monthly "excercises", of 500 - 700 words, to practice POV, description, or just in plotting (writing short shorts). Perhaps this would attract more writers williing to post their work, or give those that do read more confidence in posting here.

Please let me know what you think!

Thanks, Dina

Dana Gerr - 05:55pm Jul 11, 1998 PST(#10 of 29)

Hey guys! When I first posted the beginning of my story here I got several lovely comments right away but then didn't hear anything else in the past few weeks. Could you maybe solicit more members to comment on recently posted stories? I will try to read through some and make critiques in the next few days. This is a great site and a great opportunity and I would like to see it used more often.

Another suggestion - could someone who is internet-savvy seek out a bunch of writers sites that will put links on, and put this on as a good link for people who want mystery critiques?

JDough - 08:58pm Sep 3, 1998 PST(#11 of 29)

Here's a problem that aggravates me...I try to cancel subscriptions to folders I don't care to wade through, and continue to have them appear when I Check Subscriptions, with no button to Cancel Subscription (because I already have, so, of course the only button available is Subscribe). This happens only with the new folders, like Mysterious Poems, And Add-Ons...all folders I don't care to read through every time. I just spent an hour wading through about 10 screens worth of one add-on story, only to be rewarded by a Mysterious Poem to wade through.

Can this be fixed?

--Jane

Dina Hagler - 01:27pm Sep 4, 1998 PST(#12 of 29)

I had the same problem, except I didn't cancel my subscriptions. If you are still subscribing to the folder "mysteries by Community Members" or even "Writing Mysteries", I think you will automatically get everything within that folder. Unfortunately, I think this is a software thing. I am thinking the best thing for you would just be not to subscribe, and instead just head to the writing mysteries section. (and only keep subscriptions active in the folders you have been communicating in or a folder with a story you have written).

BTW, how is your novel coming along?

Thanks, Dina

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (17 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Writing Mysteries  / Mysteries By Members  / Comments and Suggestions for Mysteries by Members Section

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: