Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  /

Raymond Chandler

Raymond Chandler Books

Find Books by:
In Association with Amazon.com

MysteryBookstore.com, in association with Amazon.com, offers books picks by this author and many more.
• Browse authors and genres
• Any book bought supports MysteryNet.com-- save up to 40%
In 1939, his first novel, The Big Sleep, was published. He went on to write six more novels, many of which were made into movies. He also wrote original screenplays, such as Double Indemnity (1944) and Strangers on a Train (1951).

Born out of the tradition of Hammett and James M. Cain, Chandler's work and his protagonist Philip Marlowe stand as one of the landmarks of American literature.

Please add to this discussion!

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages More Messages (48 previous messages)
A. J. Mullen - 01:59pm Nov 11, 1999 PST(#49 of 79)

Farewell My Lovely, was a great rendering of Chandler's mean streets. I personally liked Try the Girl, the novelette that appeared in Black Mask in 1937. The street is somehow meaner and the writing funnier than the adaptation when it was combined with The Man Who Liked Dogs, and Mandarin's Jade to make Farewell my Lovely. Killer in the Rain is also better than The Big Sleep.

P Marlowe - 03:31pm Nov 15, 1999 PST(#50 of 79)
Glenview 7537 - Hollywood

In actuality, putting the rich style of Chandler in any movie format is difficult. When you think about the detail in each novel versus what ends up on the screen (after having most of the guts cut away for 40's film goers), I think we are lucky to have what is left.

I still like Lady in the Lake best, but will say Dick Powell (in what I believe was his FIRST serious role "Farewell, My Lovely) was quite believable as Marlowe and the show was just gritty enough to make me believe it. The Long Goodbye which I believe was directed by Robert Aldrich starring Elliot Gould wasn't half bad either.

Darin Fenn - 03:46pm Dec 27, 1999 PST(#51 of 79)

I am a filmmaker in L.A. (isn't everyone here?) writing a detective script.

I am a huge fan of Chandler, especially Marlowe. Marlowe was a foolish romantic and a cunning sleuth, an idealist, but also tough as nails and with a wry sense of humor... His character is unparallelled in American literature.

Anyway, I am curious to know how Chandler lovers would feel about me "stealing" the essence of his writing, or at least trying to... I cannot afford to buy the rights to any of his books, although I would love to make The Little Sister into a film.

I am going to make a film that is, in a sense, inspired by Chandler's stories, in homage to them. It will be contemporary, taking place in L.A., San Francisco, and maybe even Sacramento, but with an old-style classic detective like Marlowe, and with the kind of mythical, larger-than-life characters that populate Chandler's gritty streets. And. I hope, a mystery that keeps you guessing to the end. By the way, I just saw the reissue of The Big Sleep, a great fim, with a number of never-before-seen scenes in it. It's certainly worth a look if it comes to a theater near you.

So, I welcome any thoughts about the sanctity of Chandler's writing, what the film needs to get right, scenes you'd like to see, etc. In truth, I'm trying to use the thoughts of true Marlowe lovers to make the film the best it can be.

Also, I must disagree with anyone who thinks Lady in the Lake is a good film. The subjective camera is silly, and dumbs down Chandler's brilliance. A complete waste of time.

And another thing, my PI's name. How about Stanley Barrow? Oliver Carrick? Peter Rawley? He's gotta have a last name that works as a first, ie. Marlowe. How about Mullinger? Grimsby? Falkirk? Dresden?

That's all for now. Thanks.

P Marlowe - 04:56pm Dec 27, 1999 PST(#52 of 79)

Darin Fenn -- you capture my imagination with your idea of making The Little Sister into what I hope is a very credible film. It is my very favorite Chandler novel; the plot is as convoluted as an Ellroy outing. Do it justice with just the right amount of 40s noir and 70s Chinatown and 80s Body Heat. It is a story not soon forgotten and speaks much about the loss of innocence in a post-WWII America.

Darin Fenn - 06:26pm Dec 29, 1999 PST(#53 of 79)

Yes, Dick Powell made his first serious role in '44 as Marlowe. He was previously a dandy sort of crooner, like Fred Astaire but without the dancing.

The studio was afraid of the title, Farewell, My Lovely - thinking it sounded like a romantic story - so they changed the name of the film to "Murder, My Sweet." It was directed beautifully by Ed Dmytrick.

I especially like the way Marlowe always sniffs his cigarettes before smoking them.

P Marlowe - 11:20pm Dec 30, 1999 PST(#54 of 79)

For modern purposes, Darrin, Philip Marlowe was a knight. A Kirkegaard Knight rather than of the Round Table, although by his chosen profession he is almost of that prestigious clan.

David Matthews - 12:36pm Jan 5, 2000 PST(#55 of 79)

Darin Fenn.

I like your name. It's a good name for a mystery writer.

Actually THE LITTLE SISTER was filmed in 1968. It was called MARLOWE and starred James Garner. Not too badly done as I remember, don't let that deter you from making another version however.

I liked LADY IN THE LAKE but your in good company in disliking it. Chandler hated it.

Murder My Sweet I have a personal recollection of Mike Mazurki who played Moose Malloy in that movie. In 1947 I worked in a junior (very!) capacity for Twentieth Century Fox in their London office. They were filming Night And The City on location there. Mike Mazurki used to drop into the office to flirt with the girls during breaks in filming. Seemed a very pleasant, amiable sort. He was not exactly the dim witted thug he usually portrayed in movies. In 1930 he graduated from Manhattan college, top of his class with a Bachelor of Arts degree.

Incidentally Night In The City is well worth seeing if you havn't seen it already. Make sure you get the 1950 version with Richard Widmark. The 1992 remake with Robert de Niro was the pits.

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (24 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / Raymond Chandler

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: