Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  /

Raymond Chandler

Raymond Chandler Books

Find Books by:
In Association with Amazon.com

MysteryBookstore.com, in association with Amazon.com, offers books picks by this author and many more.
• Browse authors and genres
• Any book bought supports MysteryNet.com-- save up to 40%
In 1939, his first novel, The Big Sleep, was published. He went on to write six more novels, many of which were made into movies. He also wrote original screenplays, such as Double Indemnity (1944) and Strangers on a Train (1951).

Born out of the tradition of Hammett and James M. Cain, Chandler's work and his protagonist Philip Marlowe stand as one of the landmarks of American literature.

Please add to this discussion!

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages (76 previous messages)
greg Anvick - 11:16pm Dec 2, 2003 PST(#77 of 79)

In Chandlers novels Marlow is a victim of his times. Remember these were written in the post WWI pre-WWII times in which America was an isolation self-centered mode and people were looking at life that way so their heros( or antiheros) were structered in that manner. Marlow wasn't alone in his approach to crime(Hammet). Chandler was asking people to look at their lives and how they are facing the problems of the world at the time he was writing.

P Marlowe - 06:50pm Dec 5, 2003 PST(#78 of 79)
Glenview 7537 - Hollywood

P. Marlowe was both a Knight and an Existential Hero, which almost seems like an oxymoron in a way.

Romanticism as a literary form was dying out and Chandler, Hammett, Fitzgerald, Hemingway and others had started writing in an entirely different genre. Most heroes in American literature after the 1940s were what we now call anti-heroes.

However, Marlowe and Spade, unlike many of Fitzgerald's and Hemingway's heroes, didn't succumb to love and therefore survived. Since there is only one book about Sam Spade, we must surmise that he was, like Marlowe, a lone rider.

Felicity.S. - 09:51am May 23, 2004 PST(#79 of 79)

Hello, i'm studying Raymond Chandlers the big sleep. My exam is soon and i havent many notes. I was wondering if anyone has any analysis or anything or any more helpful comments on this book if you could send them me. Many thanks!

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / Raymond Chandler

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: