•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Writing Mysteries  /

How to develop a mystery?

Hello, I'm new to mystery.net. I'm an "aspiring" writer, have written a couple of pulp-fiction-type books, but would really like to write a straightforward, country house mystery. I don't have trouble with characters and settings but I need help with the mystery itself. Does anyone have any suggestions re: how to develop a mystery? How does one come up with the puzzle, the solution? Thanks so much.

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages (4 previous messages)
Joanna Radcliffe - 07:16pm Mar 15, 2005 PST(#5 of 10)
Life is a mystery, it is your job to figure out the ending.

I love to write, but I always come down with a major case of "Writer's Block." Does anyone have any suggestions as how to get over it?

AT AW - 09:42pm Mar 15, 2005 PST(#6 of 10)
Futile attempt: Trying to concentrate on work or whatever else with this site open! <~_^>

Not really... I too have got the same. I think in my case it is because I'm scared to write... scared that no one will like it and that people will somehow be able to decipher my inner feelings. I know it is silly but can't help it!

Cindy Jacobs - 12:38pm Jun 26, 2005 PST(#7 of 10)

One way to beat writer's block is to introduce something new ... a new character, problem or some other element to get the juices running again. Just make sure it's not random and you tie it in with your story somehow. It could be as simple as a change in weather. Just add a fresh spark and see what it does.

Mary Strong - 01:23pm Oct 11, 2005 PST(#8 of 10)

Hi! I'm new too. Susan, Sometimes I write like that! I write a part of my story thats in my head NOW and later I guess I'll fill in the blanks! :> -Mary

Jeremy G. Woods - 01:01am Feb 12, 2010 PST(#9 of 10)

What I've found helpful is to start writing and let it flow. Sometimes the best starts to my novels come naturally by typing.

Beautiful_1 - 08:42am Feb 12, 2010 PST(#10 of 10)
What was going through the minds of all of Chuck Norris' victims before they died? His shoe.

I started with my murder scene. Haven't written anything else though.

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Writing Mysteries  / How to develop a mystery?

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: