•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Other Mystery Topics  /

Strange Laws

Laws against feminine wiles? It's illegal to drive more than two thousand sheep down Hollywood Boulevard at one time?

Discuss laws that are outrageous, outdated, wasteful, ridiculous and just plain funny here!

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages More Messages (69 previous messages)
VICTORIA WRIGHT - 05:44am Sep 23, 1999 PST(#70 of 166)

IN ALABAMA THE DUI LAW DOES NOT APPLY IF YOU ARE WEARING FORMAL ATTIRE.

Hugh Drummond - 09:33am Sep 28, 1999 PST(#71 of 166)
" I have a criminal mind... I see bad in everyone," (Mr. J.G. Reeder)

In Russia, at the beginning of the century a law was passed prohibiting men from beating their wives too much (my italics).

HUD

Rob Lewis - 09:32pm Sep 28, 1999 PST(#72 of 166)
ICQ#31475045

Hugh,

Of course that begs the question, "Who decides how much is too much?"

B. Scott - 09:55pm Oct 2, 1999 PST(#73 of 166)

It is illegal to tie a giraffe to a telephone pole in Atlanta. Gargling in public in Louisiana. In Gary, Indiana it is illegal to enter a theatre within four hours of eating garlic. (that I agree with) Fishing in your pajamas in chicago. ....back to Indiana... It is illegal to SHOOT OPEN A CAN OF FOOD in Indiana. and my favorite....Florida... breaking more than 3 dishes per day is in fact a crime!!

Hugh Drummond - 03:50am Oct 5, 1999 PST(#74 of 166)
" I have a criminal mind... I see bad in everyone," (Mr. J.G. Reeder)

I should hope so too! It's probably designed to punish bad domestic servants. Sydney Horler felt that bad domestic servants ought to be sent for six months' hard labour in cotton mills.

HUD

Just Jen - 01:51pm Oct 10, 1999 PST(#75 of 166)

It's illegal to ride your bicycle into a swimming pool in Huntington Beach, CA.

It's illegal for frogs to crok after midnight in Memphis, TN.

I think it's still illegal in CA to drive in your bathrobe.

In Oxford, MS (Hotty Toddy!) it's illegal to drive around the town square more than 100 times in successsion.

In Utah, a husband is responsible for all crimes committed by his wife while in his presence.

And my favorite....In Montana, it's illegal to have a sheep in the cab of your truck without a chaperone.

Dave N. Batchelder - 03:50pm Oct 10, 1999 PST(#76 of 166)
Check profile.

Darn! Nick will have to find a chaperone to take his sheep through Montana...

Dave N. Batchelder - 04:00pm Oct 10, 1999 PST(#77 of 166)
Check profile.

A few of my own...

You are breaking a law if you offer a cigar to a dog while in Zion, Illinois. There was a huge problem with smoking, I was told.

Don't even think about throwing a knife at a man in a striped suit in Natoma, Kansas. Okay. So people can murder a polka dotted guy, but not a striped guy? Wear stripes, people!

It's against the law to whistle underwater in Vermont. True... but I live across the way in New Hampshire, and I still can't do it.

Logan County, California has a law prohibiting kissing a sleeping woman. So, there's another version of Sleeping Beauty for the lawmakers of Logan County?

My favorite... While in California, do not, under penalty of law, use your dirty underwear as a dirt rag. Oh, man!

Marilyn Dickey - 10:16pm Oct 14, 1999 PST(#78 of 166)
This Too Shall Pass

Just Jen,

In Oxford, MS (Hotty Toddy!) What do you mean by Hotty Toddy????.

Pilgrim - 02:17pm Oct 18, 1999 PST(#79 of 166)

There is no Logan County in CA.

charlie bee - 12:15pm Nov 14, 1999 PST(#80 of 166)

I'm not a 100% sure about the location of this law but I am pretty confident that it is New York.

You CAN eat peanuts whilst a orchestra is playing. You CAN walk backwards whilst the orhestra is playing. You CANNOT do both at the same time.

In England: when driving near puddles, it is illegal for drivers to splash pedestrians. they face a 1,000 fine if the pedestrian gets the licence plate number! There used to be a law that said that men could beat there wives with a stick as long as the stick was no wider than the width of their thumb. In 1649, oliver cromwell passed a law banning christmas.(many people who ignored the law were actually arrested!)

In paraguay, it is illegal to duel unless both participants are registered blood donors.

In new york, there is still a statute on the books that has never been repealed making it illegal for women to smoke in public! In kentucky, you are legally required to take at least one bath a year!

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (86 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Other Mystery Topics  / Strange Laws

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: