•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Community Mystery Games  / Post-n-Solve  /

POST-n-SOLVE COMMENTS

This is the place to post any questions, comments or ideas about the Post-n-Solve section. You can also directly contact Eeva or eek meep

Please no chit-chat.

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages More Messages (125 previous messages)
Lupin - 03:31pm Jun 25, 2004 PST(#126 of 1096)

I have a yellow tee shirt that says "I have been pinged by Atanua ... and survived" **sigh** i miss those ppppiiiinnnngggg's ...

Stevie B - 04:47pm Jun 25, 2004 PST(#127 of 1096)
"If you put an infinite number of apes in front of an infinite number of computers, you get a pretty good idea of what internet chat rooms can be like" - Stevie B

Idea for discussion...

A few days ago, I posted an Odd-one-out style puzzle in Common Bonds, just for a bit of a change. This was immediately followed by another similar puzzle, posted by Miette. This has got me pondering...

I have been here on MN for long enough to remember that there was a game called Odd One Out, which didn't last that long (it was removed in one of the occasional clear-outs that Mystery Net undergoes every now and then)

While I don't want to bring it back as a separate game, I was wondering if there would be enough interest in having "Odd-One-Out" as a games option in Common Bonds?

I seem to remember that combining those games was discussed way back then when there was first talk about removing Odd-One-Out, but for whatever reason, that never actually happened.

So, what are your thoughts about bringing in Odd-One-Out as a games option?

And while we are at on the subject of Common Bonds, is there still interest in keeping "Multiple Choice" as an option for the game? No one has done one of those games since the beginning of May.

Miette - 06:29pm Jun 25, 2004 PST(#128 of 1096)

I vote in favor of the 'odd-one-out' option. It adds extra flare.

rb2112br - 06:30pm Jun 25, 2004 PST(#129 of 1096)

I like the idea of adding "Odd One Out" to Common Bonds.

Even though "Multiple Choice" isn't as popular as the others, as long as Common Bonds as a whole remains popular, I don't think it hurts any to keep a less popular version around.

Miette - 06:35pm Jun 25, 2004 PST(#130 of 1096)

I just hope that no hosts get too picky about wording with the Odd-One-Out, though. Like if you've already guessed 'blah' is the odd one out, and then you ask if the connection is 'they all did this' then the host shouldn't say 'no' because the 'Odd-one-out' didn't do it and the question said 'all'. It should just be taken for granted that you are figuring out what the others have in common.

rb2112br - 06:42pm Jun 25, 2004 PST(#131 of 1096)

I think in the past with OOO, any guess for the OOO had to include a reason. If the guess was right, but for the wrong reason, the TM could still answer no instead of saying right choice/wrong reason.

dawnyoder - 10:26pm Jun 25, 2004 PST(#132 of 1096)

I totally agree with all of the above;+)

Stevie B - 12:44am Jun 26, 2004 PST(#133 of 1096)
"If you put an infinite number of apes in front of an infinite number of computers, you get a pretty good idea of what internet chat rooms can be like" - Stevie B

I would rather not put too many constraints on what the TM can or cannot accept. It should be up to the TM to let the game progress at the speed that he or she wants, and for them to decide how much information should be given for the puzzle to be solved.

For example, in the game that I ran, I could have started dropping hints sooner about twins, but I decided not too, and leave it a day or two. If I had droped hints too soon, then I wouldn't have had half the fun I did watching you guys skirting around the answer, and I suspect that the sense of achievement you all had on solving it would have been far less.

I think the trick is getting the fine line between when to drop hints and when to "string-em along". That I think applies to all the games, not just to Odd One Out

Martha Dumas - 04:13am Jun 26, 2004 PST(#134 of 1096)
Since the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body (and vice versa), we now know that only left-handed people are truly in their right minds.

I like the additional option and I agree with Stevie's point about that fine line of sensing when hints are needed and when to let people shoot in the dark.

rb2112br - 07:51am Jun 26, 2004 PST(#135 of 1096)

Yeah, there definitely can be a fine line between knowing when to drop hints or let 'em keep guessing, but other times it can be painfully obvious that hints (or internet searches) are needed to get a game moving again. But as Stevie mentioned above, and has been mentioned many times in the past, it really should be up to the TM to "control" the tempo of the game.

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (961 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Community Mystery Games  / Post-n-Solve  / POST-n-SOLVE COMMENTS

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: