•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  /

Charles Dickens (1812-1870)

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages More Messages (6 previous messages)
David Matthews - 03:07pm Mar 21, 1999 PST(#7 of 28)

P Marlowe.

Magwitch

P Marlowe - 10:28pm Mar 22, 1999 PST(#8 of 28)
Glenview 7537 - Hollywood

Thank you, David, knew I'd messed that up. It's been years since I've read that book, but Mrs. Havesham (or is it Haversham?) is a most unforgetable character too. But then I am speaking about the quintessential creator of the English Character in Fiction, aren't I?

David Matthews - 10:36am Mar 24, 1999 PST(#9 of 28)

P Marlowe.

I don't know if you've seen the latest version of "Great Expectations". Usually I don't like modernizations of the classics but I thought this wasn't too bad, mainly because of the New York settings and Gwyneth Paltrow. It doesn't have the dramatic climax of the classic British version with John Mills and Jean Simmons, but surprisingly the finish of the modern version is truer to the book. (I cheated and looked it up on books on-line).

Brigid O'Shaugnessy - 03:38pm Apr 8, 1999 PST(#10 of 28)

P. Marlowe--

I'm going to have to look at the book again, but I could've sworn Great Expectations had marshy, swampy fens... I agree with you that Miss Havisham is one of the most fabulous creations, ever. Dickens had a way with characters and characters' names (remember Uriah Heep?) that is unparalleled. Too bad he was such a wordy little sucker (there's an easy 6,000 words that could be shaved out of Our Mutual Friend) but he's such a great, old-fashioned NOVELIST, it's always a pleasure to read him.

Shamefully enough, I've never read "The Mystery of Edwin Drood," although I keep meaning to do so...

I saw the latest adaptation of Great Expectations and cannot describe my rampant hatred of that movie. NO dialogue, no script, loud music in the place of any plot development... although the ending of the movie was true to the book, I agree with that. And you could've thrown a rock out a window and hit two people with more acting ability than Gwyneth Paltrow (who I think is usually a pretty good actress) and Ethan Hawke in that film. UGH.

David Matthews - 10:56pm Apr 8, 1999 PST(#11 of 28)

Brigid.

I get a slight impression that you didn't care very much for the latest version of "Great Expectations". Now I have to say that it hasn't lingered in my mind too much but I found it passed a couple of hours harmessly enough.(Now that's a wishy washy endorsement for you).

You're right the original novel was set partly in the Kentish marshes.

Brigid O'Shaugnessy - 11:47am Apr 9, 1999 PST(#12 of 28)

Darn! I hate that I'm so easy to read ;) I did think that Anne Bancroft was great as Miss Havisham, tho.

My problem with the movie is that the whole inability to cross societal boundaries which is so pivotal in Great Expectations was really poorly translated in the movie. Oh yeah, and hating the acting, the direction, the choppy film editing...

I don't know if I've seen the original GE movie. Who's in it?

David Matthews - 01:31pm Apr 9, 1999 PST(#13 of 28)

There have been a few versions. The must see one is the 1946 British movie directed by David Lean and starring John Mills, Valerie Hobson and Jean Simmons. It does take a few liberties with the plot but the period detail is superb.

David Matthews - 12:06am May 13, 1999 PST(#14 of 28)

There was a new version of "Great Expectations" on PBS on May 8th and 9th. I missed it. Did anyone see it? Charlotte Rampling played Miss Havisham (Charlotte Rampling how time flies!)

C.K. Dexter-Haven - 04:17pm May 13, 1999 PST(#15 of 28)

When I was a kid I always got Charlotte Rampling and David Bowie mixed up-- something about the androgyny.

Sorry I missed that production of Great Expectations. It had to be better than the horrid movie that came out of it recently.

Fiona Evans - 06:07pm May 25, 1999 PST(#16 of 28)

Just wondering if anyone has read "A Child's History of England". If not, try it. It's extremely funny in some parts. Very much British humour which is exactly my kind of humour!

I thought the Great Expectations movie with Gwynneth Paltrow, etc. was pretty awful. Still, if you're going to update a classic that's set in England and put it in America instead, then I guess it's not going to be the same!

P Marlowe - 08:42pm Jun 28, 1999 PST(#17 of 28)
Glenview 7537 - Hollywood

Most movies with Gwynneth Paltrow are a bit abomniable for me. She just doesn't do much for me yet everyone raves. I must be getting old, now I do like her mother a lot.

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (11 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / Charles Dickens (1812-1870)

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: