•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  /

Nero Wolfe

We're curious if any other mystery buffs are addicted to Rex Stout. Is Wolfe truly an olympus of detection - compared with say, Poirot or Maigret?

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages More Messages (103 previous messages)
Tim Johnson - 04:59pm Mar 3, 2001 PST(#104 of 128)

almost five months and no Wolfe here? Pfui! A&E due for another production this month? What was the lapse with Robert Goldsborough? Did he only contract for a certain number of books? Any further published adventures on the horizon? Thanks.

Tim Johnson - 12:35pm Mar 4, 2001 PST(#105 of 128)

Having read ubiquitous reveiws of Her Forbidden Knight---is it actually a WOLFE novel or not? Thanks

Saundra Kane - 03:07pm Apr 2, 2001 PST(#106 of 128)

I have read every Nero Wolfe book that was ever published in the last 15 years. I am not sure I have all 46 of them. I hated drawing near to the end of the list. They were a constant for me for several years of my life.

Tim Johnson - 03:37pm Apr 3, 2001 PST(#107 of 128)

Sandra Kane, suggest website called MERELY A GENIUS for complete Wolfe listing.

Saundra Kane - 09:35am Apr 4, 2001 PST(#108 of 128)

Thank you Tim for that website. I went immediately and printed out all the names of Nero Wolfe novels and stories on the chance that there is still something I have not read. It also has information about Nero on TV. I have not seen anything since the series that was out for perhaps a year or two in the early 80's.

Tim Johnson - 06:33pm Apr 4, 2001 PST(#109 of 128)

Sandra, glad to help. There are also a couple of good reference works, one by William Baring-Gould and one by Ken Darby if that's of interest. If you hear of anything by Robert Goldsborough, or anyone for that matter (new novel-wise), please post and inform. Thanks

Missy Sweesy - 10:57pm Apr 5, 2001 PST(#110 of 128)
Life has a way of finding you, no matter how artistic a sneak you are.---Keeper proverb---Thief: The Dark Project.

A&E is playing a new movie, The Doorbell Rang, on April 22. Maury Chaykin and Tim Hutton are in it again.

Lance Goodridge - 09:46am Jun 21, 2001 PST(#111 of 128)

Quite frankly, I'm a little disappointed in the A&E Wolfe series. I've tuned in way too many times to hopefully see an improvement in the series. Hutton is ok, Chaulkyn is terrible. I've seen no evidence of superior intellect, I guess we are just supposed to believe. Also, the actors change characters like some stage play. The flavor of the time recreated is enjoyable, but even the attitude is too flippant, people are getting killed, you shouldn't be happy about it!

Missy Sweesy - 11:20pm Jun 23, 2001 PST(#112 of 128)
Life has a way of finding you, no matter how artistic a sneak you are.---Keeper proverb---Thief: The Dark Project.

The actors are all the same because of being contracted. I think they made good picks for Saul and the other guys, and also Lon Cohen. Maury Chaykin hasn't been allowed to expand on his character much, but he's got the Wolfe look, in my opinion. It's really Hutton's production, and he does Archie pretty well.

Aggie - 06:25pm Jul 4, 2001 PST(#113 of 128)
The most wasted of all days is one without laughter. ee cummings

Missy, I agree. It's been many years since I read the books, but I recall it took me several books to understand/like Wolfe's character. Guess that same difficulty is coming across in the series.

Dave Rotthoff - 09:04pm Jul 16, 2001 PST(#114 of 128)

I must confess I found the three Goldsborough books I could stomach reading to be poor immitations of the master, at best. The same is true with the current A&E series when compared with the 1980's series that lasted just a single year. Perhaps this is due to William Conrad's superb rendition of Wolfe. Didn't discover Wolfe and Archie until about 1957, when I was in high school. Today, my collection of Wolfe books is a prized possession I wouldn't part with. They are enjoyable to re-read; an evening spent with Wolfe and Archie is still an evening well spent.

Doug - 01:28pm Jul 29, 2001 PST(#115 of 128)

If any one is interested in the Nero Wolfe series from the 80's, starring William Conrad as Nero Wolfe, please checkout my website at:

www.torysmysterymovies.com

And I also have Meet Nero Wolfe, the 30's movie starring Edward Arnold and the 1977 TV movie, Nero Wolfe, starring Thad Mayer.

Thanks.

Doug

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (13 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / Nero Wolfe

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: