•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Books & Authors  /

What (or Who) Should I Read Next?

Need a suggestion? What's the best newly published mystery you've read lately? Have any suggestions for other MysteryNet.com viewers?
Please Note: To discuss an author in more depth, go to the Authors Folder and add a discussion if you don't see the one you want already there. To discuss a genre or theme of mysteries, go to the Genres & Themes Folder and add a discussion if you don't see the one you want already there.

PLEASE remember that not everyone will have read the whole book or know everything about the author that is being discussed. If you MUST discuss crucial plot information that could potentially spoil the ending of a book for someone (e.g., if somebody in the book dies), PLEASE WARN other community members by noting it at the top of your posting.

Are you looking for that next great book or author? You will want to check out our all new Book Reviews to see the latest offerings. Please take a moment to comment on the review and tell us if it sounds interesting to you.

PUBLISHERS are invited to submit copies for review by contacting notifymysterynet@google.com

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages More Messages (116 previous messages)
allipat - 02:45pm Jan 13, 1998 PST(#117 of 1002)
who am I today?

If you haven't tried any Joan Hess light mysteries and you like them to give you a smile, be sure and read her Madody Arkansas series. I fell in love with her characters. These aren't bloody and we don't much care for the deceased so all the fun is in solving it. She also has another continueing series on Claire Malloy. These are my daughter's favorite. These are all wonderful for bedtime reading. They won't give you nightmares, but might give you a smile. Still waiting on the next Janet Evanovich book. Love that girl.

Julie Kelley - 12:44am Jan 14, 1998 PST(#118 of 1002)

I look forward to her every book! Unfortunately I have to wait for the paperbacks because there isn't a library within 60 miles of me. At least I have "Fear of Frying" to look forward to. If you like amusing, which you must, have you read Charlotte McLeod/Alisa Craig? She is a crack up too.

kim steelman - 11:53pm Jan 15, 1998 PST(#119 of 1002)

Yes, I have read MacLeod/Craig and enjoyed them. You might try Earlene Fowler. She has 3 out, all in paperback--'Fool's Puzzle', 'Irish Chain' & 'Kansas Troubles'. All of the names derive from quilts. I liked these enough to stay up all night Tues reading them (and still went to work-I am so foolish). And she even gets to keep her man so far! If you haven't tried any of Sharyn McCrumb's yet, Biba Elliot and I have been discussing her in the authors category. We really have liked her books.

kim

Barbara Wale - 04:19am Jan 28, 1998 PST(#120 of 1002)

Hello Karen

Do you live in northern Ohio ? If so, you may be able to pick up TV Ontario (TVO). They have run all the Hamish M.series and are now re-running them ? I mention this because we meet so many people from Ohio at Rice Lake Ontario, where we have a cottage.They are the most friendly group, and seem to know all about "us". From reading your tastes in books I would like to recommend Minette Walters. She is American. but all her books are set in England. The characters are a bit weird, in the Barbara Vine fashion. The plots are excellent as is the writing. Please let me know if you try one of her books. Cheers !

Alex Dent - 05:25pm Jan 28, 1998 PST(#121 of 1002)

Anyone out there tried Janet Evanovict (sp)? Read her latest today ("Three to get Deadly") - not bad. Quite jokey and it's the first book in a while that has made me laugh out loud. Plot lacks a little in cohesion but fun none the less.

AWD

gail - 12:06am Feb 1, 1998 PST(#122 of 1002)

Ruth Rendell's latest - a Wexford novel - top notch -

Ricki Taylor - 08:44am Feb 6, 1998 PST(#123 of 1002)

Just finished reading "Lily White" by Susan Isaacs. It's actually about 2 or 3 stories within a story, but you don't get lost trying to follow. It was really a good read, and I highly recommend it.

gail - 11:57pm Feb 6, 1998 PST(#124 of 1002)

dana stabenow's latest Kate Shugak - alaska - great. shehas

Janelle - 04:28pm Feb 8, 1998 PST(#125 of 1002)

Shari Geller's Fatal Conviction & Lisa Gardner's The Perfect Husband. You want be disappointed.

Kevin DeAnna - 05:59pm Feb 9, 1998 PST(#126 of 1002)

I am working on an English assignment and need to know the answer to the following question:

What mystery writer began writing at 50, and was noted for his use of simile and metaphor?

Any ideas?????

Liz Links - 05:40am Feb 16, 1998 PST(#127 of 1002)
Brisbane, Australia

Definitely one of my all time favourites. I read earlier that his first name wasn't to be revealed till the last book. Well, in a recent (?)TV series - his name was revealed - once and once only, luckily it was a show I taped . I'll have to watch it again to make sure I have the right name, but it certainly was unusual and easy to forget. Morse revealed it to a girl he was fond of.

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (875 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Books & Authors  / What (or Who) Should I Read Next?

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: