•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Books & Authors  /

What (or Who) Should I Read Next?

Need a suggestion? What's the best newly published mystery you've read lately? Have any suggestions for other MysteryNet.com viewers?
Please Note: To discuss an author in more depth, go to the Authors Folder and add a discussion if you don't see the one you want already there. To discuss a genre or theme of mysteries, go to the Genres & Themes Folder and add a discussion if you don't see the one you want already there.

PLEASE remember that not everyone will have read the whole book or know everything about the author that is being discussed. If you MUST discuss crucial plot information that could potentially spoil the ending of a book for someone (e.g., if somebody in the book dies), PLEASE WARN other community members by noting it at the top of your posting.

Are you looking for that next great book or author? You will want to check out our all new Book Reviews to see the latest offerings. Please take a moment to comment on the review and tell us if it sounds interesting to you.

PUBLISHERS are invited to submit copies for review by contacting notifymysterynet@google.com

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages More Messages (193 previous messages)
Viv - 08:05pm Sep 2, 1998 PST(#194 of 1002)

To Simmi, who asked about British authors, I'd recommend Reginald Hill's Dalziel and Pascoe series. I got hooked by watching a few episodes on A&E, but--much as I enjoyed the TV series--the books are A LOT better--dark and funny and convoluted and logical, all at the same time.

summer sky - 03:06pm Sep 3, 1998 PST(#195 of 1002)

I don't see Margaret Maron on this list. Her book, Bootlegger's Daughter won a lot of awards. It is great!

Simmi - 11:46am Sep 4, 1998 PST(#196 of 1002)

First to P Marlowe. I also discovered Walters when I saw 'The Scultptress' on PBS. I went straight to my library and took out 'The Dark Room'. I then read 'The Echo', 'The Scold's Bridle' and I just finished 'The Ice House' yesterday. I liked The Scold's Bridle and The Ice House best. The plot is The Echo is very well thought out. You won't be able to figure out anything until the last page. I'd really like to see them on PBS now. I can't wait for new book whenever it comes out. As for the duMaurier books, 'Rebecca' is one of my favourite stories. Did you see the film version on Masterpiece Theatre a few weeks ago with Diana Rigg as Mrs. Danvers? I've already read the book several times. I also read 'My Cousin Rachel', but it was a while ago and I don't remeber the story. I'm going to have to read it again.

To Viv, thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely check it out. Do you recommend any book in particular?

I must say this message board is a great idea. I'm always looking for new mystery authors. I now have quite a list to try out. It's also nice to be able to discuss the book after I've read it.

I just recently read 'Enter a Gentlewoman' by Sara Woods. It was pretty good. Has anyone else read her books?

P Marlowe - 02:30pm Sep 4, 1998 PST(#197 of 1002)
Glenview 7537 - Hollywood

I've always thought that Alfred Hitchcock made two of the best ghost story movies - first, Rebecca, for which he should have won an academy award and next, Vertigo. I'll have to read the other two Walters you suggested. There is a Midsomers Murder on A&E this p.m. I plan to watch.

Viv - 09:14pm Sep 4, 1998 PST(#198 of 1002)

Simmi, Re. which of Reginald Hill's Dalziel and Pascoe books I recommend, it depends on which of the characters you like best. Dalziel acts outrageously and is always fun to follow, so you might like "Bones and Silence." Pascoe is generally sweet and sincere, and "The Wood Beyond" is more his story. "Pictures of Perfection" gives Sgt. Wield a chance to star. At the end of Sept., A&E will be showing "Under World," which might be a good introduction for you, though I'm sure the plot will have to be much simplified to fit in two hours. Happy reading.

Julie Kelley - 01:01pm Sep 6, 1998 PST(#199 of 1002)

I just finished Four to Score by Janet Evanovich. Actually I started reading it when I went to bed and finished before I could go to sleep. It is fast paced and absolutely hysterical. I laughed so hard I thought I would wake up old snoozy next to me! He, he.

Koli - 11:44am Sep 9, 1998 PST(#200 of 1002)

Connie Massey: Zero at the Bone is now available again in pb. I liked it much better than any of her other 3 books. It does not feature Molly Cates, but the heroine is engaging. I hope Walker uses her again.

Does anyone read Jane Haddam (Orania Papazoglou), Margaret Yorke, Margaret Maron, Elizabeth Daly, or Nelson DeMille?

P Marlowe - 11:02pm Sep 9, 1998 PST(#201 of 1002)
Glenview 7537 - Hollywood

Koll - is Zero at the Bone about women dog trainer who goes to Austin, TX after her father's death?

Derek Johnson - 10:04am Sep 21, 1998 PST(#202 of 1002)

Check out Steven Womack's Harry Denton series. They're fun, engaging, maybe a little too light (you can read one in a couple of days). Denton is a private investigator in Nashville, Tennessee, and the cases he takes are as oddball as the premise. Don't miss.

tina - 01:47pm Sep 21, 1998 PST(#203 of 1002)
let us run with perserverance the race marked out for us

I recently discovered Robert Crais by accident and have enjoyed reading his books. They're mysteries with Elvis Cole, a sort of unconventional, smart-alec detective (who I would like to introduce to Sue Grafton's Kinsey).

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (799 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Books & Authors  / What (or Who) Should I Read Next?

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: