•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Books & Authors  /

What (or Who) Should I Read Next?

Need a suggestion? What's the best newly published mystery you've read lately? Have any suggestions for other MysteryNet.com viewers?
Please Note: To discuss an author in more depth, go to the Authors Folder and add a discussion if you don't see the one you want already there. To discuss a genre or theme of mysteries, go to the Genres & Themes Folder and add a discussion if you don't see the one you want already there.

PLEASE remember that not everyone will have read the whole book or know everything about the author that is being discussed. If you MUST discuss crucial plot information that could potentially spoil the ending of a book for someone (e.g., if somebody in the book dies), PLEASE WARN other community members by noting it at the top of your posting.

Are you looking for that next great book or author? You will want to check out our all new Book Reviews to see the latest offerings. Please take a moment to comment on the review and tell us if it sounds interesting to you.

PUBLISHERS are invited to submit copies for review by contacting notifymysterynet@google.com

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages More Messages (205 previous messages)
Phyllis Smilack - 12:46pm Sep 27, 1998 PST(#206 of 1002)

Just finished "The Pied Piper" by Ridley Pearson. Great read. Good story, good mystery, action and emotion. Highly recommend. P.S.

christine menendez - 02:04pm Oct 1, 1998 PST(#207 of 1002)

Since I am sure everyone has read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, I will skip that one and go right on to the next best murder mystery I have read recently: The Bone Collector by Jeffrey Deaver. The characters are very original, well developed and interesting. The plot is brilliant, with very detailed forensics, and the writing is clear and concise making for a story that is not confusing but very addictive. If you can find this book, get it!

P Marlowe - 08:52pm Oct 2, 1998 PST(#208 of 1002)
Glenview 7537 - Hollywood

Thanks for the suggestion, christine, I love forensics. Have you read Déja Dead? That too is a very good read with some treasured moments of real humor.

barbara harris - 10:23am Oct 6, 1998 PST(#209 of 1002)

has anyone else read barbara hambly's free man of color and fever season? interesting look at new orleans society.

christine menendez - 02:14pm Oct 8, 1998 PST(#210 of 1002)

P Marlowe: Thanks for the suggestion,ie. Deja Dead. No, I have not read it, but went right into Amazon and ordered it. I live in Europe and all my reading materials are mail ordered. Unfortunately, since I am unable to preview books before actually buying them, I end up with a lot of stuff that simply does not live up to the reviews. Because of this, I am very happy to get information on new books which are worth the price paid and the time invested in reading them.

Pam Walker - 03:34pm Oct 8, 1998 PST(#211 of 1002)

Christine-

I highly recommend Deja Dead. It was a great read. I can't wait for Kathy Reichs next one to come out. I agree about The Bone Collector, it was great. I am reading The Coffin Dancer now. It is starting off good. What other mystery do you like? I'd love to exchange book ideas with you. Do you like primary forensics, medical or suspense? I'm into a little bit of all of them. I love Michael Palmer's books. Have you read any of his?

Bess - 03:37am Oct 9, 1998 PST(#212 of 1002)

I love Mary Higgins Clark. She is one of my favourite authors. At the moment, I have just finished "Pretend You Don't See Her", and I quite literally couldn't put it down. I read it straight through from start to finish without stopping once. Another of hers that I enjoyed was "While My Pretty One Sleeps". Does anyone else read her books?

Calsha - 04:35pm Oct 9, 1998 PST(#213 of 1002)
I'm a Kiwi and proud of it.

Yes Bess I love reading Mary Higgins Clark too. I got hooked when I first read "Stillwatch" in 1984. I have read it several times again since. Have you read any of Carol Higgins Clark? I think she is Mary's daughter.

P Marlowe - 02:42am Oct 10, 1998 PST(#214 of 1002)
Glenview 7537 - Hollywood

I am currently reading a very interesting book called "The Poison Tree." Set in Oxford it revolves around the murder of a male student and the college professor who buys the house where the murder occurred. She teaches, of all things, detective fiction, is bi-sexual and quotes a lot of good English poets and talks about detective fiction. Warning: the murder is gruesome and there is lots of sex (if that offends). Book is written by a man from a woman's POV. So far it has been very good.

Shinji Minamoto - 05:47pm Oct 10, 1998 PST(#215 of 1002)

If anyone know of good modern mystery, please tell me.

_Sunshine_ - 07:42pm Oct 10, 1998 PST(#216 of 1002)
...redefining Normal, one day at a time.

Depends on what you mean by 'modern'...

Calsha - 10:56pm Oct 10, 1998 PST(#217 of 1002)
I'm a Kiwi and proud of it.

Written within the last few years maybe????

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (785 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Books & Authors  / What (or Who) Should I Read Next?

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: