•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Books & Authors  /

What (or Who) Should I Read Next?

Need a suggestion? What's the best newly published mystery you've read lately? Have any suggestions for other MysteryNet.com viewers?
Please Note: To discuss an author in more depth, go to the Authors Folder and add a discussion if you don't see the one you want already there. To discuss a genre or theme of mysteries, go to the Genres & Themes Folder and add a discussion if you don't see the one you want already there.

PLEASE remember that not everyone will have read the whole book or know everything about the author that is being discussed. If you MUST discuss crucial plot information that could potentially spoil the ending of a book for someone (e.g., if somebody in the book dies), PLEASE WARN other community members by noting it at the top of your posting.

Are you looking for that next great book or author? You will want to check out our all new Book Reviews to see the latest offerings. Please take a moment to comment on the review and tell us if it sounds interesting to you.

PUBLISHERS are invited to submit copies for review by contacting notifymysterynet@google.com

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages More Messages (213 previous messages)
P Marlowe - 02:42am Oct 10, 1998 PST(#214 of 1002)
Glenview 7537 - Hollywood

I am currently reading a very interesting book called "The Poison Tree." Set in Oxford it revolves around the murder of a male student and the college professor who buys the house where the murder occurred. She teaches, of all things, detective fiction, is bi-sexual and quotes a lot of good English poets and talks about detective fiction. Warning: the murder is gruesome and there is lots of sex (if that offends). Book is written by a man from a woman's POV. So far it has been very good.

Shinji Minamoto - 05:47pm Oct 10, 1998 PST(#215 of 1002)

If anyone know of good modern mystery, please tell me.

_Sunshine_ - 07:42pm Oct 10, 1998 PST(#216 of 1002)
...redefining Normal, one day at a time.

Depends on what you mean by 'modern'...

Calsha - 10:56pm Oct 10, 1998 PST(#217 of 1002)
I'm a Kiwi and proud of it.

Written within the last few years maybe????

Rose Wagner - 10:27am Oct 11, 1998 PST(#218 of 1002)

Perhaps Dennis Lehane, whose characters live in Boston, would write the kind of modern mystery you mean. "Sacred" and "A Drink Before the War" are two of the titles.

P Marlowe - 04:21pm Oct 11, 1998 PST(#219 of 1002)
Glenview 7537 - Hollywood

Or "Darkness, Take my Hand" another of Lehane's. Modern, there are many "modern" authors of mystery fiction, especially Robin Cook who deals with medical mysteries and Patricia Coldwell and the likes (who deal with forensics and police procedures).

teresa - 02:36pm Oct 12, 1998 PST(#220 of 1002)

Has anyone read the new P. Cornwell Point of Origin? (Or something like that!)

Is it any good? I found her last book a bit disapointing.

I did enjoy Deja Dead and The Bone Collector, any ideas for my next read?

Calsha - 01:59am Oct 13, 1998 PST(#221 of 1002)
I'm a Kiwi and proud of it.

I have just finished Endangered Species by Nevada Barr. I really enjoyed it, plenty of action, good descriptions, and a mystery to keep you guessing.

Shinji Minamoto - 02:39pm Oct 14, 1998 PST(#222 of 1002)

thanks everyone

My aunt likes Patricia Coldwell. I might try. Isn't her book thick? I never had a luck with thick books. So far I only red three thick books, all bud. The mystery comes like in page 200, which I could never reach, because the first 100 pages are full of character's long and lousy description and his sex life, e.t.c. That's why I asked for a modern mystery. I never finished one. And also, the most annoying thing is that the detective don't solve the mystery, or the solution is really cheap. Also, most of the time (mostly internal), the detective is stupid, get hurt every time, reckless, e.t.c.(so far)

By the way, there is also Patricia M. Do anyone know her last name? She is a modern writer isn't she. I might try.

Also, my recommendation is And There were None by Agatha Christie. Almost all the people like this book. Also, I highly recommend The Murder of Roger Ackroyd and The Murder is Announce. Best of Christie. Many people say The Murder of Roger Ackroyd is unfair, but still I like it.

P.S Does someone know the author of Frost series, Was it Murder(also known as Murder at School), and Buffet For Unwellcome Guests?

Jenni - 08:17pm Oct 14, 1998 PST(#223 of 1002)

Ilooked up Deja Dead and the Bone Collector at the library today, but found them too hard-boiled, if you know what I mean. I don't like protaganists with sad, troubled lives. I have enough troubles of my own! I also tried the mystery someone recommended about the paralysed medical examiner, but didn't like the look of it.

Does anyone have suggestions for books along the lines of Jeanne M. Dams, or Diane Mott Davidson?

Marsha Francis - 09:01pm Oct 14, 1998 PST(#224 of 1002)

Jenni,

Try Charlotte MacLeod, Jill Churchill, Aaron Elkins and Anne George. They all write light, funny interesting stories about the kinds of characters you'd like to get to know better.

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (778 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Books & Authors  / What (or Who) Should I Read Next?

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: