•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Books & Authors  /

What (or Who) Should I Read Next?

Need a suggestion? What's the best newly published mystery you've read lately? Have any suggestions for other MysteryNet.com viewers?
Please Note: To discuss an author in more depth, go to the Authors Folder and add a discussion if you don't see the one you want already there. To discuss a genre or theme of mysteries, go to the Genres & Themes Folder and add a discussion if you don't see the one you want already there.

PLEASE remember that not everyone will have read the whole book or know everything about the author that is being discussed. If you MUST discuss crucial plot information that could potentially spoil the ending of a book for someone (e.g., if somebody in the book dies), PLEASE WARN other community members by noting it at the top of your posting.

Are you looking for that next great book or author? You will want to check out our all new Book Reviews to see the latest offerings. Please take a moment to comment on the review and tell us if it sounds interesting to you.

PUBLISHERS are invited to submit copies for review by contacting notifymysterynet@google.com

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages More Messages (224 previous messages)
Dawn Dowdle - 06:12am Oct 15, 1998 PST(#225 of 1002)

I recommend Claudia Bishop. Her stories are fun and pretty light. Have you tried Sue Grafton or Karen Kijewski? Lou Jane Temple and Joanne Pence both write cullinary mysteries. Tamar Myers has 2 series. I've only read the Pennsylvania Dutch series so far. I LOVE it. Have you tried Margaret Truman or Elliott Roosevelt?

Katarina Rundgren - 08:43am Oct 15, 1998 PST(#226 of 1002)
A stranger is a friend you have yet to meet

P Marlowe;

The Poison Tree sounded interesting - who's the author?

J>R>R - 03:27pm Oct 15, 1998 PST(#227 of 1002)

HEy, Miss(I presume) KAtrina, The poison tree was a great book, i thoughly enjoyed. In my own oppion, i think it is a great work of art.

Kris R - 05:36am Oct 17, 1998 PST(#228 of 1002)

Selma Eichler is a good author to try if you are looking for a mystery that is lighter and fluffier and not so bogged down with the protaganist's personal problems.

I'd like to thank those of you who suggested Jeffery Deaver's "The Bone Collector." I really enjoyed it, and I was completely surprised by the resolution. If you're having trouble locating it in your local bookstore, steer away from the mystery aisle and look in the general fiction shelves. That's where I found my copy.

Cathy Sova - 07:18am Oct 17, 1998 PST(#229 of 1002)

A couple of good cozies I've read lately are A Very Eligible Corpse by Annie Griffin and Dying to Get Published, by Judy Fitzwater. Both are the first in new series; the Griffin features to older sisters as the protagonists, and the Fitzwater features a not-quite-published mystery author.

For lots of reviews, check out The Mystery Reader at www.themysteryreader.com -- new site!

J<R<R - 07:59pm Oct 17, 1998 PST(#230 of 1002)

I fyou prefer classics I had always enjoyed the book called," The heart of Midlothian" It is a litarary classic from the author of Ivanhoe. A MR. SIr Walter Scott.

Janelle - 01:06pm Oct 18, 1998 PST(#231 of 1002)

Has anyone read any of J.F. Freedman's books?

Cheryl Clayton - 06:39pm Oct 18, 1998 PST(#232 of 1002)

I would like to find more information on the murders of Judge Vincent Sperry and wife Margaret Sperry, murdered on 9/14/87, in Biloxi, Mississippi. Have already read Mississippi Mud by Edward Humes. Particularly interested in the grand jury trial of Pete Halat, judge's law partner, indictment handed down 10/22/96, and another tiral in May 1997.

P Marlowe - 08:51pm Oct 19, 1998 PST(#233 of 1002)
Glenview 7537 - Hollywood

Katarina - Tony Strong wrote "The Poison Tree." It is a powerful book -- a treatise of sorts on how far the dectective story has strayed from its original "romantic path." Philip Marlowe is for me a true Knight of the 20th C. and Strong talks about detectives as being knights. The main character teaches the subject at Oxford. The ending was very disturbing and it took me a couple of days to digest it and realize how it fit. I do warn that this book is not for the easily (or maybe not too easily) offended.

Katie Floyd - 07:08am Oct 20, 1998 PST(#234 of 1002)

Anyone heard of Mary Higgins Clark's latest one? I love her style, can you suggest any other authors?

P Marlowe - 08:31pm Oct 20, 1998 PST(#235 of 1002)
Glenview 7537 - Hollywood

Katie, if you like Clark's style you would like early Mary Stewart books. She wrote some wonderful atmospheric books and there is Mary Roberts Rinehart.

Maggie O'Neil - 03:23pm Oct 21, 1998 PST(#236 of 1002)

Has anyone read the new James Patterson - Cat and Mouse? Good story though not as graphic as Kiss the Girls. I got close to the end and thought that he was killing off Alex Cross and starting off with a new main character. Whew!! Glad I was off the mark on that.

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (766 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Books & Authors  / What (or Who) Should I Read Next?

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: